Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small town protein... cats 0, O.S.O.K. 2

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Thumbs up Small town protein... cats 0, O.S.O.K. 2

Well, one thing is for sure. If things did go south rapidly, I'd have immediate fresh protein coming into my back yard on a constant basis.

I've been warring with the feral cats in our section of our little town lately. I have a .22 rifle set up with CB's but these little bastages are very very wary and I don't have a good system set up to quietly sneak to a point that I could pop them. The windows make too much noise... and I'm too lazy to make a stand outside and wait for them to come in (they like our bird bath - think its a cat drinking fountain with bird flavored water...) - they come in at about midnight and set-off the motion sensing lights.... grrrrr.

So, I've been using the live trap - and a can of cheap tuna

Works pretty well - so far I've bagged two. I took em to the SPCA... but they could have been "Generals Chicken" instead....

As soon as I get one, I see another new one show up... like there's some kind a limited turf thing going on and once I remove the current tough guy, the newbie shows up.

But they're smart - it took a couple weeks between the last two that I got. I had to give it a break until they forgot about it or something... or maybe it was the rancid tuna that did the trick?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

You better start worrying if the cats ruin your shutout.
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    but these little bastages are very very wary and I don't have a good system set up to quietly sneak to a point that I could pop them. The windows make too much noise...
    Open the window and use a bath towel to keep the bugs out.

(they like our bird bath - think its a cat drinking fountain with bird flavored water...) - they come in at about midnight and set-off the motion sensing lights.... grrrrr.
    When the lights come on; move the towel enough to stick the barrel outside and bang.

This has worked well in a few States..

Save the grease for lip balm, its almost like chapstick!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk1911 View Post
    Save the grease for lip balm, its almost like chapstick!
    Book of Eli?

And HDR - good idea with the towel... may give that a try tonight! Especially since the little bastages are kind enough to wake us up with the light...

[QUOTE=O.S.O.K.;32743]Book of Eli?

Thats right, was the first thing I thought about when I read your post. Funny part is that the engineer din't want it!

Smile

My Gemtech Outback II paired up with a Romanian trainer and some Fiocci subsonic fill the role nicely... Hypothetically, that is. I would never advocate the illegal and dangerous practice of discharging a firearm in the city limits. That would be wrong both legally and morally!

BDG

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    by the time things get bad enough that you're willing to eat a cat there probably won't be any cats left. Corpse rats and pond scum is where it's at.

I was reading on a survival board that the best bet for ongoing protein in populated areas is pigeons. You keep them - they fly around and feed themselves and lay eggs which hatch - you eat the little pigeons called "sqab".

I remember my dad talking about eating squab - I guess you'd be eating the whole thing?

Crunch crunch crunch

ETA - did a recipe search - 36 popped up!

I guess they're bigger than I thought...

Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 10-10-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Nothing wrong with a little squab.Ever have Cornish game hens?Well I think pigeon is much the same.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

They're bigger than dove or quail... I didn't realize that you let them get a bit older- probably right before they fledge.

That is a very cool thing to know - in a bad situation, having pigeon coops would be a very smart thing - don't have to give them a damned thing I guess. Though, I'd probably provide a source of clean water and some supplimental food...

The heck with chickens - they're high maintenance compared to pigeons.

Of course, you'd probably have people trapping them and such though... maybe.

They're bigger than dove or quail... I didn't realize that you let them get a bit older- probably right before they fledge.

That is a very cool thing to know - in a bad situation, having pigeon coops would be a very smart thing - don't have to give them a damned thing I guess. Though, I'd probably provide a source of clean water and some supplimental food...

The heck with chickens - they're high maintenance compared to pigeons.

Of course, you'd probably have people trapping them and such though... maybe.
    There are plenty all over the place.If I had the space,I'd raise rabbits,chickens,or guineas.The guinea eggs are so much better than regular chicken eggs.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    There are plenty all over the place.If I had the space,I'd raise rabbits,chickens,or guineas.The guinea eggs are so much better than regular chicken eggs.
    Damn guinea hens can be mean. When I was a kid our neighbor had them and they'd chase me everytime I went to their place.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Damn guinea hens can be mean. When I was a kid our neighbor had them and they'd chase me everytime I went to their place.
    They are actually decent guard animals,they make a lot of noise when they are scared and will attack if they feel threatened.

My uncle used to raise them,if they got out there was no chance in finding the nest.The eggs are so much better than a chicken egg,hard shells though.

Well, talked to my Dad this eve. I asked him about the pigeons they had when he was a kid - he said they were a mess! They had "king" pigeons - big white ones and kept them in an aviary of sorts so they could fly around in there. But they never got out - to keep them from breeding with wild pigeons and getting contangeons. So, they had to be fed, etc. He said they would go to the local cigar place and get the left-over sticks (tobacco plants) to use for the nests - these kept the bugs out. Interesting.

Guineas would be good for a rural area but are easy prey for coyotes...

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Yep, i was about 5 years old when i made the mistake of approaching a hen with chicks. I discovered how to run really fast.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    That's kind of my plan down the road, I basically want to replicate the things my Dad did. Fatten a steer or two per year. Run chickens for eggs and meat. Buy a feeder pig or two each year and fatten it. Have a pond or river on the property to fish in. And raise a big garden and can the hell out of stuff. We ate damned well when I was home and spent less than an in town family did.

One thing we had when I was a kid that I'm not so sure about, we had a milk cow and Mom sold cream to one of the local stores. I'm just sure if I won't to jack with that, lot of work and the cow has to be milked twice a day, every day. Tho having veal would be nice.
    Returns June 3rd.

That's kind of my plan down the road, I basically want to replicate the things my Dad did. Fatten a steer or two per year. Run chickens for eggs and meat. Buy a feeder pig or two each year and fatten it. Have a pond or river on the property to fish in. And raise a big garden and can the hell out of stuff. We ate damned well when I was home and spent less than an in town family did.

One thing we had when I was a kid that I'm not so sure about, we had a milk cow and Mom sold cream to one of the local stores. I'm just sure if I won't to jack with that, lot of work and the cow has to be milked twice a day, every day. Tho having veal would be nice.
    When I was younger we raised goats,chickens,guineas,rabbits,and we had a garden.I learned from both my grandfather and my uncle about gardening.The canning I learned from my uncle.We had wild black berries,grapes,and red plums all over the farm and we made jelly out of that.I miss that way of life and that is something I want to go back to doing once I'm out of school.I worked during the summer on the farm,shredding and bailing hay,I learned how to drive on an old Ford tractor.

I would fish in the morning on the 25 acre stock tank,then drive the fence lines just enjoying the evenings.

And HDR - good idea with the towel... may give that a try tonight! Especially since the little bastages are kind enough to wake us up with the light...
    I lived in Michigan and in a country club where such things were frowned upon. So sound was important; here it isn't. My current project is a coyote who makes puppy growl which wakes me up.

If you're going to eat "whatevers" buy some hot sauce to hide the taste. IMO, that is why a lot of Asia uses hot sauces on their food.

I live in Michigan and I wish they would let us have silencers. Anyways I moved to a bigger city than where I used to live and times were rough so my girl and I were staying in a motel. This place had so many fuckin cats it was insane! We would open the door to go in and these cats had the balls to just walk in and get all up in our stuff. So I left a bowl of some food outside and played the waiting game. Had the music up just enough and some sub-sonics out of my GSG-5 and went to war. In like an hour it was bad, these cats would stay in the feild about 45+ yds out. It was no mans land and I was way back in the room at 2am and my girl slept soundly. HDR has the advice with the towel that works great. Also this took place in the country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast