Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small town protein... cats 0, O.S.O.K. 2

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Guineas would be good for a rural area but are easy prey for coyotes...
    Not if you have trees, they will roost in them. Also if you have a dog that is not a chicken killer, they usually keep coyotes away unless it's a very thin year. We had a two year drought, that was the only time I was worried about the dogs. The year after was the wettest one on record, they have been fat years for the wildlife since.
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 10-12-2010 at 01:39 AM.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Buy a feeder pig or two each year and fatten it.

One thing we had when I was a kid that I'm not so sure about, we had a milk cow and Mom sold cream to one of the local stores. I'm just sure if I won't to jack with that, lot of work and the cow has to be milked twice a day, every day. Tho having veal would be nice.
    Feed the pigs the excess milk, that's what they did in the old days when they didn't sell it. Cheap feed and happy pigs, no downside.

I think it is the whole fact that you have to milk a cow twice a day forever. No more vacations. Milking is a pain in the ass.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 00RedZX-6R View Post
    I think it is the whole fact that you have to milk a cow twice a day forever. No more vacations. Milking is a pain in the ass.
    Yep. I'm just not sure if I want all the hassle, plus the cow has to have a calf every year....
    Returns June 3rd.

[QUOTE=O.S.O.K.;46998]

I was reading on a survival board that the best bet for ongoing protein in populated areas is pigeons. You keep them - they fly around and feed themselves and lay eggs which hatch - you eat the little pigeons called "sqab".

I remember my dad talking about eating squab - I guess you'd be eating the whole thing?
    [quote]

My father raced pigeons; the only time we called them "squab" was when we were serving to people who wouldn't have ate it if they knew it was pigeon.

Even better is monkfish. If you know what to harvest it tastes like lobster. After they eat the delicious "lobster" dish; you show them a picture of one. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    I live in Michigan and I wish they would let us have silencers.
    I moved there from a rural area; so when a few groundhogs started feasting on my shrubs I dispatched them. I made the mistake of mentioning my plans and was informed that was a firm no no in Oakland county. After that it was 4 KIA in stealth mode.

Michigan is an example of how natives can lose their state. When I first moved there, I thought this is the most anti-gun place there is; then, I met native born Michiganders.

Michigan isnt that bad per say, we can have FA or SBR's, but no supressors. I cant keep up with ammo costs, and SBR's dont appeal to me for all the paperwork involved. It sucked for the dude that owned the motel he cleaned the mess, 4 KIA in stealth mode and 2 in stealthier mode, knife.......

From I was told the FA/SBRs depended on where you lived; I only lived there for two years so I don't know much. Heck, I left my pistols with my folks and bought one just for Michigan to register.lol

I lived north of Clarkston; the house behind me was 1.4 miles with a wetland in between. Right about in the middle they found a body. FWIW, LEOs said it was probably a crackhead prostitute who got whacked in Pontiac. Neighbor that discovered the body said she was wearing a raincoat, bra, garter belt and stockings.

He should have hired one of those cleaning companies who specialize in that sort of cleaning.

Damn thats messed up, but people do die. As far as I've read I havent seen any restrictions on FA/SBR's but your probably right. If I find it I'll post for the other Michigan guys.

I got the impression which county or better said which sheriff had a lot to do with it. However, as I only lived there a hair over two years I don't really know.

Here I can shoot in the backyard legally..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12