Thread: Anyone else seeing a slow down in background checks?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Unhappy Anyone else seeing a slow down in background checks?

Still waiting on my background check for a handgun purchase to go through the system. It's been 24hrs and it's still "delayed". This is at Sportsmans Warehouse for a Rossi Ranch Hand. I realize that right now gun purchases are at an all time high and we are having a gunshow in town this weekend but except for the last time, (two years ago a handgun purchase at Gander Moutain which didn't clear until the next morning, about 16 hours) I've always been approved within minutes, even when they used to call them in manually.

When I stopped by SW around 12pm they said mine was one of about a half dozen from yesterday that hadn't cleared yet and they had about that many from this morning that didn't go through right away. The clerk said about 1 out of every three or four we not going through within a few minutes. Said it had been that way since yesterday morning. None were being denied, just taking extra time and it didn't seem to make a difference as to what type of firearm was being purchased. Nothing has changed with me since the last purchase, no traffic tickets or anything. My CCW did expire and I haven't gotten around to renewing it yet but that shouldn't be an issue. Just wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same delays?
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 12-23-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Still waiting on my background check for a handgun purchase to go through the system. It's been 24hrs and it's still "delayed". This is at Sportsmans Warehouse for a Rossi Ranch Hand. I realize that right now gun purchases are at an all time high and we are having a gunshow in town this weekend but except for the last time, (two years ago a handgun purchase at Gander Moutain which didn't clear until the next morning, about 16 hours) I've always been approved within minutes, even when they used to call them in manually.

When I stopped by SW around 12pm they said mine was one of about a half dozen from yesterday that hadn't cleared yet and they had about that many from this morning that didn't go through right away. The clerk said about 1 out of every three or four we not going through within a few minutes. Said it had been that way since yesterday morning. None were being denied, just taking extra time and it didn't seem to make a difference as to what type of firearm was being purchased. Nothing has changed with me since the last purchase, no traffic tickets or anything. My CCW did expire and I haven't gotten around to renewing it yet but that shouldn't be an issue. Just wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same delays?
    Probably due to the recent run on buying guns... their phones are probably ringing off the wall......

Or maybe they're fueling up the black helicopters and coming to get you!
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Up until a few years ago they used to call them in and a lot of the time they would call back with the OK within a half hour or so. Usually enough time to browse around and maybe add some ammo, a holster or a few other odds and ends to the gun purchase. Then they started doing the BC via computer and at least until the buy I made two years ago that was even faster, sometime it was almost immediate. They enter the info and, BAM, "approved".

I can only remember one other time where I purchased two handguns at the same time back when we had a "one handgun a month" limit unless you had a CCW or a multiple purchase certificate from the state police. That time it took about two hours and the guy said that was because it was the first time I'd used my CCW for a multiple purchase. In that instance the dealer said it wouldn't take as long if I did it again as it would be in the system.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Up until a few years ago they used to call them in and a lot of the time they would call back with the Ok within a half hour or so.
    Every NICS check I've ever gone through literally took less than 10 minutes. Usually around 3 minutes.

Of course, I haven't purchased a gun lately.... maybe I'm on some "list" by now.....
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team GunsNet Bronze 02/2014

Here in GA.. If you have your pistol permit you don't have to go through NICS check... I have had my permit about 20 years now.. I haven't had to wait since... They do the check before it is issued or renewed and you are good to go for 5 years if I remember right

Finally got the call at 4:30pm that everything finally cleared. Go figure.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    it took like 45 minutes for mine last night, half an hour of that was them calling and getting a busy signal

Sales are just so high right now- really putting a strain on NICS.
    Gunsnet member from back in 2001-2002- lost track of the site when it went down- it's great to be back!
    FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!

I would chalk it up to how busy they are. The phones have to be ringing off the hook, with the way guns are flying out of stores.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I am sure their backup is because people are voting with their dollars. I bet they never dreamed there would be such a high volume!

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

In Texas, all you have to do to buy a gun is present your driver's license and CHL, fill out the form and you are good to go.....chris3

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 EddieB310's Avatar

Our local pawn shop had 40 holds Thursday due to the instacheck back log. No denials, just system delays. They bumped mine ahead and they went through quickly.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    In Texas, all you have to do to buy a gun is present your driver's license and CHL, fill out the form and you are good to go.....chris3
    Only if you are CCW, every one who isn't they make the call to the FBI...

Bought two guns day before yesterday, and man am I glad I had my CCW. Got to bypass about 12 other shmucks in line at the gunshow and had my gun out the door in 5 minutes. At the other store I went to, I wouldnt have even been able to purchase my gun that day had I not had my CCW.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I bought a bolt action rifle at cabelas a couple days ago, stood in line for 2 hours, background check took less than 5 minutes, the girl made the call right in front of me. At cabellas they have you fill out the 4473 on a computer now and then print it out for you to check and sign and date. Once i got to the counter the whole process only took 30 mins and i was on my way. I have never had a CCW permit.

The folks next to me were delayed for a handgun purchase and i overheard them tell the clerk that they always get delayed.

Maybe mine went through so fast because i was only buying a harmless 300 win mag fudd gun, instead of an extremely dangerous 9mm pistol.
    Last edited by davepool; 12-25-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Article on 9 news this morning, CBI announced a 68hrback log on insta checks. Then, ya gotta go NICS.....Sheesh....... www.9news.com
    Dan

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 EddieB310's Avatar

I waited two weeks for an approval last summer on an AK, but had never had a delay before. My first cousin tried to kill her husband a few days before with a handgun. We had the same last name and we lived a few houses apart. I always guessed that had something to do with it. ?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yes, they are swamped - record setting gun sales is the reason. The FBI only has so many people assigned to this and if they get behind, you wait...

As said, a great reason to have a CCW beyond the other obvious benefits. Walk in, pay, do paperwork, walk out.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Last show I was at, (New York State) there was a separate table set up to cover instant checks for private sales.

Fill out the 4473 and hand it to them, call was made, paperwork OKed and went and paid for the long gun.

No idea what would have happened if I had failed the check, as the paperwork stayed at the table where the checks were being made.

This was the first time I have been backgrounded for a private sale.