Thread: what king of sling do you like? 1 2 3 point?

what king of sling do you like? 1 2 3 point?

i had a 2 point on one of my aks and was looking around and seen plates to hook a single point up to a bracket that goes over your pistol grip. i cant afford that shit so i looped and knotted some para cord around my pistol grip screw then tightend it down. l then hooked a carabeiner with my 2 point sling to the loop and knotted peice of the para cord sticking out from the pistol grip. seems to work good as a single point sling,what do you all like?

Single point slings are all I am familiar with. I've got my eye open for one large enough to wear with gear though... (I run on the large side myself...)

i understand i aint no lil guy myself its hard to find stuff that fits when your a big guy. so i made shit work! lol
    not big guy that cant get out of his chair and eats 12 chickens a day big guy!
    Last edited by charger0122; 12-25-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

2 point are good for slinging over your shoulder and or control of a weapon when shooting. Because an AK has the sling point on the side, it doesn't work as well for stability of shooting as it tends to pull the weapon over to the left when you sling up tight. A US designed rifle has the sling on the udersides so sling pressure pulls the weapon down into the palm of your hand. As a disadvantage it won't stay on your shoulder if you move around or bend over unless you use one hand to keep it from sliding off your shoulder. I have several leather and web slings from when I shot Service Rifle and High Power.

1 point slings are preferred for a short carbine type weapon only for keeping control of it, meaning keep it attached to you but leaving your hands free. They allow for a quick detach of the weapon for entering a vehicle or quick attach after exiting the vehicle. There is no potential for weapon stability to assit in shooting accuracy These do have a down side as it can end up letting the muzzle of your weapon pointing at your lower leg and feet. Active duty people have shot themselves in the legs with the M4's. I have 2 of them but after reading the article about active duty people getting shot in the legs using 1 point slings I'm hesitant to use them anymore. Troy makes one of the longest ones I know of and it has a really nice shoulder pad for it. Didn't have a quick detach buckle but I rigged one to use with it.

I have one 3 point, it is ok but a bit cumbersome. It keeps the weapon on you but frees up your hands and it doesn't point the muzzle at your legs and feet. Except for the original 2 point sling, it is the safest for weapon cary. The down side is you can't get out of it quick, at least not the one i have.

good stuff Schuetzenman i have this one point on an amd65 with wood stocks and the barrel extinesion to make it legal so its pretty short and works good from what i can tell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

2-point slings are all I have.

I actually just picked one of the Magpul slings today. rapidly converts between 2 point and 3 point, and actually has enough space available for us big guys.

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    Heavy guns that are long (two point sling) light short guns carbines (single point)
    Just me and my monkey....

I like two point myself. Better for slinging the rifle over your shoulder. Also can be used to help steady the rifle while you are shooting.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Single points are fine if all youll be doing is shooting. If I need to be more mobile its gotta be a 2 point that I can secure tight against my body like the vtac.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

mostly 2 pt, although i never use them for stabilization when shooting. but as scheutz mentioned, they dont really hold the rifles well, you still need a hand on the sling if your moving a lot/inetnsly to keep it on your shoulder.

recently got a 1 pt for my carbine. the whole idea is that is is akin to a holster for a rifle, in which case it preforms well. it is truly hands free, unlike the 2pt. problem is, (my intentions were for multiple carry/3 gun type shit) it sits on my side and covers my holstered pistol.

for the reason above, id like a nice 3 pt that holds the rifle in front at a low ready so i can be hands free AND have quick easy access to my pistol, but ive tried one before, and it just seemed too hopelessly complicated. its a god damn sling for christs sake, its not supposed to come with a 10 page instruction booklet. simple is better. no one needs a 10 piece hammer.

On my black rifles I use the Magpul that works as a 2 or 1 point. On my fud guns I use a Latigo 2 point - fastest hasty sling I've ever played with.

On edit: On my Fals I use a nylon copy of the Latigo 2 point with a custom length. IIRC they are called the SuperSling 2+. You can call the factory with your length and they will custom make it.