Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OLD GRUMP Memorial 50 YARD RIMFIRE AND BATTLEFIELD RIFLE MATCH

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    It's half past January for you shooters if you were going to participate this month.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    It's half past January for you shooters if you were going to participate this month.
    Yeah! Where is everyone else. 25 yards with a .22 rifle and/or a battle rifle. We should have well over 100 people shooting this.

"Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i can shoot 22lr across the street for 25 yds, but i dont have an unscoped one, and i thnk id draw some complaints shooting a high powered rifle in the middle of town

You're only about 12 hours driving distance from me, you can use my range.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Grump,
    I am moving in early February to the other side of the country. Do you have a problem if I shoot my February targets towards the end of January?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

You're only about 12 hours driving distance from me, you can use my range.
    id love to take you up on the offer, but i dont think my add would allow me to drive for 12 hrs straight anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Grump,
    I am moving in early February to the other side of the country. Do you have a problem if I shoot my February targets towards the end of January?
    No problem here.

THUCYDIDES.

Here are my February targets (shot 2 day early)

First, my Remington 581. Shooting inside with Remington Thunderbolt, 40 gr, conical rounds.

This month I shot my Bavarian M-1 Carbine for the battle rifle.

I was shooting HSM, 110 gr, FMJ ammo.

I wore my glasses this time instead of using my contacts. I should do that more. I could see my sights and the taret at the same time! It is amazing how much easier it is to shoot when you can see both!

NRA Endowment Member

You all done real good there, it makes a heck of a difference when that front sight is in focus. Interesting that the carbine shot better than the 22.

Getting snowed in right now so it may be a bit before I can shoot, I hope we have a few other shooters here who don't have that snow problem jump in and give us some competition.

THUCYDIDES.

You all done real good there, it makes a heck of a difference when that front sight is in focus. Interesting that the carbine shot better than the 22.
    At first I thought that as well. But if you look at the grouping, the .22 seems smaller, though it is offset to the left a little. The carbine was more centered, but the grouping is larger.

NRA Endowment Member

Well we tied with the long gun today, I was zeroed for 100 and it should have been good for 25 but apparently the cold or my coat made me hold higher, or the glare from the snow made me see the sights funny. The trigger guard was beating the dickens out of my second finger because I couldn't get a tight grip. I thought I had missed completely because I couldn't see any holes till I got down to the target line. I nearly wet myself when I saw the group.

Anyway, 1030 hours February 1 2013, -2 degrees with an 8mph wind coming from behind me I used these guns (K31 and Savage single shot) to shoot these targets. I shot as fast as I could because I wasn't wearing my coveralls or long Johns and was freezing my patootie off.

THUCYDIDES.

That looks dern cold!

You used the same .22 ammo as I did, so I can't blame my shooting on the ammo! Bother.

NRA Endowment Member

My gun is older, it had more practice... but mostly I think I have shot that gun so often it's kind of part of me. Heavy rough trigger and hard to see sights and all, I'm just used to it. Thunderbolts have never been my first choice but if thats all my toy store has I don't feel handicapped, it's always been a good plinking round and I have taken a lot of starlings, English sparrows and pigeons with them. Seriously I knew I was having a good day but I didn't expect 6 X's. My second shot sounded half as loud as the rest so I'm guessing it was one of my 8's. I think a quarter turn on your Remington windage adjustment and your score would have been a lot closer to mine.

THUCYDIDES.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Wait a minute, I thought this was supposed to be 50 yards offhand, not 25 yards offhand. Did the rules get changed up in a post?

Post#8
    Target up, light snow, 24 degrees and 4" of new snow on the ground, No excuse but only got 3 rounds on paper at 50 yards. Will change the rules and make it 25 yards instead since some of us are just a bit handicapped and those without access to 50 yards can shoot too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Wait a minute, I thought this was supposed to be 50 yards offhand, not 25 yards offhand. Did the rules get changed up in a post?
    Some people did not have access to 50 yards and when I tried to shoot that 4" target at 50 yards I only got 3 rounds on target so we switched to 25 yards. Unfortunately I can't change the title. Even with the change up the shooters aren't posting. Where is your target/s? I know you can outshoot me cause I seen you do it.

THUCYDIDES.

Post#8

Some people did not have access to 50 yards and when I tried to shoot that 4" target at 50 yards I only got 3 rounds on target so we switched to 25 yards. Unfortunately I can't change the title. Even with the change up the shooters aren't posting. Where is your target/s? I know you can outshoot me cause I seen you do it.
    Tell you what I looked at the original post and the small target and said, "50 yards on that with open sights, no way"! So I seriously never considered even trying. I may have to give it a try if I ever get a chance to go shooting again. There always seems to be something I have to do on Saturdays and the range is closed on Sundays. Down here I'm growing a vegetable garden with winter crops that takes up time even in the winter. Cabbages, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts and Onions. Probably plant some beets soon too. Then lastly, I hate the company I work for now and have started a job search. Just had a phone interview today, it went well. If this pans out sometime possibly as early as March I might be looking at starting a job near Lexington, KY and then eventually moving. Shit there goes my raised bed gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Tell you what I looked at the original post and the small target and said, "50 yards on that with open sights, no way"! So I seriously never considered even trying. I may have to give it a try if I ever get a chance to go shooting again. There always seems to be something I have to do on Saturdays and the range is closed on Sundays. Down here I'm growing a vegetable garden with winter crops that takes up time even in the winter. Cabbages, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts and Onions. Probably plant some beets soon too. Then lastly, I hate the company I work for now and have started a job search. Just had a phone interview today, it went well. If this pans out sometime possibly as early as March I might be looking at starting a job near Lexington, KY and then eventually moving. Shit there goes my raised bed gardens.
    The target at 50 yards wasn't a problem, old legs shaky hands and tired eyes shooting offhand made it impractical. I can't even do as well as I did 10 years ago. I made it offhand because there is no way I can or will lay in the snow so it was up on my hind legs or nothing. The young pups should be shooting the pants off of me but I'm beginning to thionk they all have scpopes and wouldn't know how to use iron sights even if they had an instruction manual in front of them.

Yup, that's a challenge. Come on all you manly studs, beat the old dinosaur. Itorlo64 is coming awful close and I know he can't shoot nearly as often as I can. My targets should be near the bottom of the average not on top.

Looking forward to my own garden even though its getting harder and harder to get out there and work it. Still if I had a chance to sell the homestead and move to the southwest back into the desert I'd be gone so fast I'd probably have whiplash. I don;t know how I would be able to stand it, imagine not having to shoot in -7 degree temperatures or plowing 26" of snow from my driveway. That would be so hard to take.

Old Grump

THUCYDIDES.

Honestly the only Iron sighted 22 LR I have is my AR-15 .22 LR. upper with the standard A2 type carry handle rear sight.

It qualifies, only sights and caliber matter not make and model of the gun. I assume you have a battle rifle that would qualify so there you have both guns needed.

THUCYDIDES.

Stopped snowing and warmed up to 35 degrees with no wind from what I could feel. Light was awful bright but what the hey, Fun in the sun who is complaining. So March is here and here is my March offering for all you shooters to beat. Come on now, grab a box of ammo and go stand on your hindlegs for some fun. At least shoot the 22 if you are short on shooting stuff. The rest of you hoarders need to get out in the fresh air for some shooting exercise, it will do you good.

What I shot, Ruger 10/22 carbine with iron sights and M1 Garand with iron sights.

A little work on the snow plow got the walk to the target line cleared for walking.

Rimfire target

Battle Rifle Target

THUCYDIDES.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast