Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OLD GRUMP Memorial 50 YARD RIMFIRE AND BATTLEFIELD RIFLE MATCH

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

OLD GRUMP Memorial 50 YARD RIMFIRE AND BATTLEFIELD RIFLE MATCH

Rules are simple, no need for a lot of explaining.

1: Target will be as posted.
    2. All rifles will use iron sights only, no electronics, no optics, no lasers.
    3: Rimfire rifle. Will compete against rimfire rifles only. I don't care if its .17, 22 or 32. it it's a rimfire rifle it's eligible. (Rim fire, not rimmed case}
    4: Battle Rifle. (centerfire only), It only needs to be a battle field rifle, age doesn't matter, if it was used by an army it counts.
    5: Offhand only to keep it simple.
    6: 10 shots per each match on each target. Picture of gun and ammo posted with the target would be appreciated.
    7: Post targets by the 25th of the month to be counted for that month. Late entries will be scored for the following month.

The January Match starts now.

use this target

Last edited by old Grump; 05-25-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Changing the rules

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Thanks Grump. I hope we have more than just us shooting this time.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I just hope I can get a few of my 10 shots on paper, the last time we did this it was warm outside and my legs were in better shape. Now I have to stand in 20" of snow. All those rednecks south of the Mason Dixon Line have a huge advantage.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

If I had access to a 50 yard range, I'd break out my K31 and see if I can still hit anything.

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    If I had access to a 50 yard range, I'd break out my K31 and see if I can still hit anything.
    You can come up and use mine, how do you feel about snow? Just bring ammo you can use my 22 and my brothers K31.

THUCYDIDES.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    Charlie Elliot Wild Life Center in Mansfield, GA. Use to be free but now you need a hunting license or Wild Life Center pass / permit. A 3 day is $6 bucks, a yearly is $22. They have a covered 25 to 50 yard line for pistols and rifles and a covered 50 to 100 yard for rifles. Shooting benches at each firing point. Bring targets and a staple gun, they provide the racks and cardboard backer.

BTW Old Grump, how big is that black in inches. Looks kind of small for 50 yards and iron sights.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-27-2012 at 05:53 PM.

It is 4 5/8" across the black, the scoring ring comes out to 7 5/8". I figured if I can can keep most of my shots inside 8" at 100 yards with iron sighted handguns we should be able to keep them on paper with rifles at 50 yards. Of course I have been wrong before and might possibly be wrong again in the foreseeable future but lets try it and if nobody likes it we can open the floor for suggestions and a different target for February.

It's going to be snowing tomorrow but if it isn't coming down to heavy I am going to shoot mine and see how it goes. I'm not expecting high scores, if I can put 10 on paper I will be happy. The young sharp eyed guys should eat us old fogeys up.

THUCYDIDES.

Target up, light snow, 24 degrees and 4" if new snow on the ground, No excuse but only got 3 rounds on paper at 50 yards. Will change the rules and make it 25 yards instead since some of us are just a bit handicapped and those without access to 50 yards can shoot too.

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    I'm not expecting high scores, if I can put 10 on paper I will be happy. The young sharp eyed guys should eat us old fogeys up.
    You always write that and then come back with great groups inside the black. I need to spend some time with you so I can start shooting as lousy as you!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Target up, light snow, 24 degrees and 4" if new snow on the ground, No excuse but only got 3 rounds on paper at 50 yards. Will change the rules and make it 25 yards instead since some of us are just a bit handicapped and those without access to 50 yards can shoot too.
    Thanks for the shorter range. I am not sure the range I go to has a 50 yard line as it is all indoors. The range I went to in California was indoor and had a 100 yard line, but this is not nearly that long.

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    You always write that and then come back with great groups inside the black. I need to spend some time with you so I can start shooting as lousy as you!
    Don't forget I have a range in my back yard and get to shoot more than you. Unfortunately my standards are stuck in 1980 when I was shooting at All Army level and was trying hard to make the Olympic tryouts. James Earl Carter finally realized the Soviet Union was an evil Empire and had a hissy fit. I stopped competing after that and never shot in a formal competition since. Then my move to Chicago took me out of the shooting business except for deer hunting and an occasional weekend in Wisconsin. Not until I moved back to Wisconsin could I start shooting on a regular basis again. I still remember how but my skills are sadly lacking compared to what they used to be.

I get more satisfaction out of coaching new shooters and shooters needing help then I do from shooting myself. Still shooting is the thing that keeps me sane. Since I can't work I have to do something even if it is half assed. Now I'm just doing my darndest to get other people to shoot. The more that shoot the more involved they will be against the forces that intend to stop us from shooting.

I can't travel but if you ever see your way to the little hut in the woods I can guarantee if it isn't raining to hard that powder will be burnt, bullets will go down range and if you have a technique problem with a particular gun we can probably fix it.

THUCYDIDES.

Don't forget I have a range in my back yard and get to shoot more than you. Unfortunately my standards are stuck in 1980 when I was shooting at All Army level and was trying hard to make the Olympic tryouts. James Earl Carter finally realized the Soviet Union was an evil Empire and had a hissy fit. I stopped competing after that and never shot in a formal competition since. Then my move to Chicago took me out of the shooting business except for deer hunting and an occasional weekend in Wisconsin. Not until I moved back to Wisconsin could I start shooting on a regular basis again. I still remember how but my skills are sadly lacking compared to what they used to be.

I get more satisfaction out of coaching new shooters and shooters needing help then I do from shooting myself. Still shooting is the thing that keeps me sane. Since I can't work I have to do something even if it is half assed. Now I'm just doing my darndest to get other people to shoot. The more that shoot the more involved they will be against the forces that intend to stop us from shooting.

I can't travel but if you ever see your way to the little hut in the woods I can guarantee if it isn't raining to hard that powder will be burnt, bullets will go down range and if you have a technique problem with a particular gun we can probably fix it.
    Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on that some day.

A question on the target. When I print the target it is 5 3/4" across the rings and the black is 3 3/4". I was able to expand the target on my computer to 118% of actual size and it is now 6 7/8" across the rings and 4 3/16" across the black. If I go any larger the rings start to fall off the paper. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on that some day.

A question on the target. When I print the target it is 5 3/4" across the rings and the black is 3 3/4". I was able to expand the target on my computer to 118% of actual size and it is now 6 7/8" across the rings and 4 3/16" across the black. If I go any larger the rings start to fall off the paper. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    I don't have a clue. Did you copy from the target I posted or use the site I got the target from. That's why I put it on the target. I copied, saved and print it out from my pictures and 4 5/8" is what I get without doing anything but printing it. Sorry I cannot help but a computer geek I am not. Now if you have a missile fire control radar that needs a little work I could help you but this computer stuff is not a strong point with me. If we have to use a different target maybe we can do that, I just chose this one because I thought it would be easy to score.

THUCYDIDES.

I'm gonna have to try and get in on this at least a couple of times. Want to get some use out of that STG44 I got.
    I used the copier at work and got it to where it matches your dimensions.
    Now for a little better weather, this weekend is supposed to be decent
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

I loaded up and went to the range yesterday, but it seems that everyone one in a five mile radius had the same idea. I will try again in a couple of days when everyone goes back to work.

NRA Endowment Member

Got to the range today. It is an indoor range, but they don't heat it. I think it was warmer outside, and it was 41F outside. I am not kidding, I could see my breath. Anyway, here are my targets.

First my Remington 581(L) that my father gave me for Christmas when I was 8.

I scored a 92 with 2Xs.

For the battle rifle I used my AR15 that I built from a Aeroprecision lower and a Del-Ton A3 upper.

Not quite as good, I shot a 77.

Ammo for the .22 was Peters, 40 gr. that I bought at Bi-Mart.

Ammo for the AR15 was PMC Bronze, .223 cal, 55 gr.

Next month I will am going to wear my glasses instead of my contacts. It is getting very difficult focus on the rear sight. I see the front sight fine enough but the rear sight is very fuzzy. Well, enough with the excuses. Where are the other targets!?!
    Last edited by ltorlo64; 01-11-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added ammo used.

NRA Endowment Member

Got to the range today. It is an indoor range, but they don't heat it. I think it was warmer outside, and it was 41F outside. I am not kidding, I could see my breath. Anyway, here are my targets.

First my Remington 581(L) that my father gave me for Christmas when I was 8.

I scored a 92 with 2Xs.

For the battle rifle I used my AR15 that I built from a Aeroprecision lower and a Del-Ton A3 upper.

Not quite as good, I shot a 77.

Next month I will am going to wear my glasses instead of my contacts. It is getting very difficult focus on the rear sight. I see the front sight fine enough but the rear sight is very fuzzy. Well, enough with the excuses. Where are the other targets!?!
    Love that 22, sure is in better shape than the one I will be using. If that bullet hole at 6 o'clock on the 22 target has the lead line of the bullet hole touching the line of the 10 you have another point. Check it with a magnifying glass.

I have been waiting for it to get above the 20's because I have to shoot outside. In the afternoon the sun is in my eyes and in the mornings it has been between -4 and 14 degrees and I'm just not as tough as I used to was. Supposed to get to 40 in a couple of days so if it isn't raining or snowing I will shoot.

Come on you southern guys, you don't have the same excuse us snowbirds have, lets see some targets.
    Last edited by old Grump; 01-07-2013 at 01:46 AM.

THUCYDIDES.

43 degrees today and I finally got outside to shoot.
    My Battlefield rifle choice was my old Mosin Nagant M38 using 148 gr FMJ Siberian made ammo. My rimfire rifle was my old Savage Single Shot bolt action and a new ammo I had not seen before. Remington CBee with 33 gr HP bullets. I didn't change my sights and it shot to point of aim, I am a happy camper and if my toy dealer has any left when I go back I will try to get the rest of the case. I think from a rest I would have had one hole, with a scope I know I would have had one hole.

THUCYDIDES.

That is some good shooting. When we did the pistols I was not even in the same ball park with you, with rifles I might be competitive. We will see how the glasses help.

Nice looking Mosin. I like the looks of the AR, but I miss a rifle with wood. Next month I plan on using my M1 Carbine. No plastic next month!

I also updated my target post with the ammo I used. Forgot to put that in last time.
    Last edited by ltorlo64; 01-11-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added stuff

NRA Endowment Member

Shot my Ruger single Six with the same ammo today but from a rest and at 15 yards. It was getting pretty dark and I could barely see the target but the sights were clear and the noise and recoil was negligible. Put 6 rounds in a jagged 3/4" hole with 4 fliers that were my fault. I am definitely getting more of these 22 CBee's.

I had a great shooting day yesterday with perfect light and the end of a 3 day kidney stone episode so it was just a good day all around. The glasses should help you, if it weren't for my prescription shooting glasses I wouldn't be shooting half as good as I am. Really helps when you can see the sights.

THUCYDIDES.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast