Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have now decided which handgun I am going to get come February.

was_peacemaker

I have now decided which handgun I am going to get come February.

Come February I will have the funds to buy a decent handgun finally. Its like every time I get the funds to get a decent handgun something happens and my money disappears. For the first time in several years I will be able to get something decent.

I have shot several different types of semi-auto's and revolvers. I have read up on this and that...I have talked with friends and folks on here.

I have made my decision...the Beretta 92 F/S!

At first I didn't care for the trigger on them all that much (I think I even made a thread about it here)...but after I handled one some more I really got the feel for it.

I love the handling and the accuracy of these pistols. I like the way they strip down easy for cleaning...and the way it just sits in my hand is awesome.

So come Feb. when I have the money saved up. It will be a Beretta 92 F/S. I can't wait!!

Nice choice I love mine

Good choice...unles you have small hands

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Hopefully they are still legal and in stock by then.

I had been waiting until Q1 2013 to return to my gun purchasing since I'm able to work full time again until I begin my Bachelor's degree in the fall. What a mistake that has turned out to be.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

They are on sale at Cabela's right now for $599. They normally sell there for $649. If you miss this sale they will be back in about a month I would expect. Also, I believe we live in the same area, check SportCo in Fife and Wholesale Sports in Silverdale. They generally have the best prices in the Seattle area.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Good choice. Love mine and it's been 100% reliable. Not my first choice for CCW but it would work if you choose a holster and clothing wisely otherwise it's good to go for just about anything else you would ask of it. IIRC I picked up a number of Mec-Gar mags for mine and they work fine. You might consider buying some mags now if they haven't gone up too much. They'll probably just get more expensive in the meantime and if you decide not to get the Beretta you can always sell the mags, probably at a profit.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Beretta Series 92 is my favorite. They are amazingly accurate, very low recoil due to the weight, point easily, take down for cleaning easily, and parts are everywhere.

One of the major things that makes the 92FS so nice is the ability to mix and match parts from any 92 and they work with no fitting or special treatment.

Good choice.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Hopefully they fixed the frames cracking at 10,000 rounds or slightly beyond that. Then again not many civilians shoot 10K worth of rounds in a handgun. I have met a very pissed off former 92FS owner, his broke at 13k rounds. When he sent it back to the factory for repairs / replacement he told Beretta USA reps that he had 13K of fired rounds thorugh it when it broke. Their reaction was that they were amazed it lasted that many rounds past 10k. This was back in 2000, so don't know if they have beefed them up or not.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-31-2012 at 07:45 AM.

I picked up the Taurus clone of the 92 about ten years ago. A guy owed me money and I took the gun as payment. It has never failed me and will eat any ammo I put through it. My son has it now and keeps it in his nightstand as his home defense weapon.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

IIRC it was the Border Patrol that had a lot of cracked frames but it was with their .40cal Model 96 Berettas not the 92FS. i might be wrong.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Forgot to mention, stick to Beretta factory mags, MDS, or Mec-gar. Do not waste your money on inexpensive mags, most don't work. MDS and Mec-gar make or made the factory Beretta mags, and in fact the MDS mags have the exact same markings except instead of stamping "PB" for the factory, they stamp "MDS" with the other marks the same. Funny thing is that even through Beretta USA, the MDS mags are cheaper than the PB marked Beretta, yet they are made side by side at the same factory.

Also, the trigger smooths out with use. No need to take it apart and do a "trigger job", they get better with age.

Cracking frames? New to me. Beretta does recommend not using +P rounds, but try to tell some people that they can't use something.

was_peacemaker
    From what I have understood they have fixed a lot of those earlier problems with the 92 series pistols.

for that money you could treat yourself to a used sig 226 or 229 from Summit gun when he gets them in. http://summitgunbroker.com/229.html
    send it off so sig for a performance upgrade or two and have a far nicer gun. I have three beretta 96's (issues and commemoratives) never liked the heavy trigger pull love the sig trigger pull

First guns should always be .22lr, so that you will SHOOT THEM the thousands of rds needed to build real skill with them. Since you will be saving $250 per 1000 shots, the .22, especially a good used one, likke the 4" skinny barreled Browning Buckmark, for $250, pay for themselves with just one trip to the range, since you can easily fire 500 rds in a few hours and you can also easily sell it for $125.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Gosh golly gee whizz there nikko, none of here ever thought of that before and I bet in the year and a half that peacemaker has been here the though never occurred to him. Good thing you are her to set us on the right path. Would you choose a gun of your choice and shoot a target so we can see what a real shooter can do. Please show us unwashed, unskilled bumpkins how to do it, we would so much like to learn at the feet of a master.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Gosh golly gee whizz there nikko, none of here ever thought of that before and I bet in the year and a half that peacemaker has been here the though never occurred to him. Good thing you are her to set us on the right path. Would you choose a gun of your choice and shoot a target so we can see what a real shooter can do. Please show us unwashed, unskilled bumpkins how to do it, we would so much like to learn at the feet of a master.
    Don't be so hard on him Grump. I for one have never seen a gun in person, let alone this ".22 Long Rifle".

It sounds dangerous and powerful. Was that the assault gun used by Mr. Columbine? You know, the black one. With the shoulder thing that goes up.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    Don't be so hard on him Grump. I for one have never seen a gun in person, let alone this ".22 Long Rifle".

It sounds dangerous and powerful. Was that the assault gun used by Mr. Columbine? You know, the black one. With the shoulder thing that goes up.
    I saw that little presentation and I'm pretty sure she said it was a shoulder 'thingy'. Maybe it's only a technical difference but we would not want to use misleading or confusing language when talking to our intellectual superiors.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Gonzo you're stupid. We all know he did it cause his rifle had a Slide Thingy that goes forward.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    .22 ? Really? My Squrrel monkey can shoot a .22

That's the logic some people tried to use on me when I was looking
    to buy my first motorcycle. ( "why don't you buy something small to start with")
    Yea, right! I bought a 69 BSA 650 lightening. I still miss that bike.
    Nikko, you must be broke if you can't afford the ammo to shoot 9mm
    My son and I shoot an average of 500 rnds of 7.62x39 on a Saturday
    more if we bring the 9s with us. The monkey? he only shoots once, but
    it takes a bit of whacking for that to happen.
    Just me and my monkey....

** Contributor 01/2013 **

I just love my Beretta. I have a PX4 storm as my sidearm. I'm an armed guard. The 92 and 96 series are also excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast