Thread: I've never understood the slowfire accuracy pistol thing.

I've never understood the slowfire accuracy pistol thing.

I mean, if you've got all day and the target doesn't move, why not either just walk kup closer, or go get a rifle, hmm? the pistol is for ccw and SPEED work, guys. that's what you spend your time and money on, stuff that you can and will NEED to be able to do, one day, or that others you teach will need to know. otherwise, you might as well play tiddlywinks, for all the good you are doing.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I read about a soldier in WWII who shot 5 German soldiers in the head with a 1911 from about 50 yards. He did not do this rapid fire but slowly and methodically. Marksmanship is never bad and it is what allows better accuracy during high stress, rapid fire scenarios.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I think pistols are primarily for close wet work, but it does not hurt for one to practice longer range marksmanship skills with one.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    Always better to work on accuracy first, then build your speed, It doesn't make sense to
    do rapid fire exercises if you're not hitting in the 9s from 25yds in three basic positions,
    standing, sitting and prone. Then try off hand, simulate injury to your dominate hand.
    Then mag changes, and fire from cover. It takes time, training, and practice to get good.
    Just me and my monkey....

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Bullseye Pistol matches are NRA sanctioned events, PPC isn't. It is a "traditional" form of handgun competition that goes back probably before the 1900. It is not inteneded to really be a simulation of defensive combat shooting. It is intended to be a tool for teaching accuracy with a handgun, though speed isn't a part of the equation. Not saying it shouldn't be or that perhaps bullseye shooting isn't a bit dated. But there are other sports like that, Fencing with Foils, Aepe and Saber is the same way. Olympic style Fencing is not a true simulation of real sword fighting. You would die very quickly of you fought with a sword as Fencing rules dicate to compete with them.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    In a panic situation where there is no time to react on anything but instinct you ALWAYS fall back on trained procedure.

If you practice sloppy and inaccurate you will shoot sloppy and inaccurate when the adrenaline has your heart rate doubled and you won't hit a damn thing intentionally. If you properly focus on form, manner and properly controlled trigger pull while calm you will default to that when the shits hitting the fan. It may not stop you from missing some, but it will vastly improve your performance overall.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by nikko View Post
    I mean, if you've got all day and the target doesn't move, why not either just walk kup closer, or go get a rifle, hmm? the pistol is for ccw and SPEED work, guys. that's what you spend your time and money on, stuff that you can and will NEED to be able to do, one day, or that others you teach will need to know. otherwise, you might as well play tiddlywinks, for all the good you are doing.
    Another simple minded gun slinger who thinks every shooting situation is going to be up close and personal.

A 66 Year Old Texan Vic Stacey Puts Four 357 Magnum Pistol Rounds into a Killer Rifleman at 165 Yards

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2012/08/14/citizen-shooter-saves-officer-with-amazing-shooting/
    Good thing not everybody subscribes to your simple minded philosophy of marksmanship. When you learn how to shoot or if you learn to shoot come back and discuss shooting.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Wyatt Earp and Wild Bill Hickok were both known to "take their time in a hurry" during gunfights. They were both known to have survived gunfights in which their opponents got off the first shot and missed. They responded by aiming carefully and killing their assailants.

Sergeant York shot six Germans in 1918 with his 1911 as they were charging him. He aimed with deliberation and got all six of them shooting the furthest away and working closer to him.

These are probably not typical results but can you describe a typical self defense scenario?

Good marksmanship is always a good idea.

I haven't been shooting much lately, but when I was shooting a lot I shot at the weekly bowling pin shoots at the local range. I almost always won them. How did I practice? Slowfire.

Having seen you shoot I don't want you shooting at me slow or fast. Marksmen shoot slow and far and when they have to they can shoot very fast just because They know what they are doing.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Slowfire trains the muscles to work properly to stay on target. When the hands know what to do, speed can follow.

You big bully, what did them harmless pins ever do to you?

THUCYDIDES.

u read a big freaking LIE, the head shots thing,, is what you read. :-)

In another words under pressure you are absolutely sure you would be incapable of hitting anything smaller than a 37 gallon trash can lid from 6' or further away. Especially if it made a threatening face in your direction.

THUCYDIDES.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I'm pretty sure that nikko is a troll.

I'm sorry, but not many of the members here are fluent in Gibrone.

Would you mind translating this for the rest of us?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Had a guy I shot with in Nevada who had a bad shoulder. It was painful to shoot a rifle for him. He shot a desert eagle... he would ring a gong at 100 yards 7 or 8 out of 8... I had a hard time keeping up with him with an open sight AK...

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    I'm sorry, but not many of the members here are fluent in Gibrone.

Would you mind translating this for the rest of us?

I had to look that up... Nikko was the 4th def at the urban dictionary...

bobski
    shame.....someone hasnt enjoyed a thompson contender in his life.

go to a 25/50/75/100 yd met silo match and knock some steel plates down with one shot off hand.
    its addicting.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I'm pretty sure that nikko is a troll.
    Yes he was. It was confined to the Roadhouse and soon left.