Thread: hello all!

hello all!

hi,
    can anyone please help me with a s&w 645 major problem i am having..ongoing issue for about a year.
    i am worried i am going to lose an eye if the slide lock fails and it hits me in the face.
    very frustrated and no..i wont take it to a gunsmith which is the only advice i got from s&w's forum..nor send it to them..if i cant fix it myself..i give up.
    i have been trying to fix it for over a year..i am pretty hardheaded when it comes to quiting on myself.
    anyone that thinks they can help would be much appreciated..been awhile since i have been here..use to contribute alot before we lost the servers.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You didn't describe your problem so how is anyone to tell if they can help with advise?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You didn't describe your problem so how is anyone to tell if they can help with advise?

lol,sorry,i was going to elaborate but i had unexpected company when i was writing.

the problem is the damn thing randomly double taps or worse..out of the blue?
    i purchased it from a friend,shot it a few times..everything is fine(damn gun is a tank)
    anyhow it started here and there..double tapping by itself..one time damn near emptied the magazine...then other time..fires just fine.(sa/da)
    i tried different ammo with different mags at first,then i purchased a wolff spring kit for it..seemed ok after that for about 4 mags(extra power firing pin spring which i thought was the culprit)then same problem,replaced the sear and sear spring from numrichs..still same problem..it seems if i break it down to the firing pin,and clean the channel it goes in,it works ok for a mag or 2..then malfunctions again.
    i cant believe i would have to break the gun down to the firing pin every 3 mags to have functioning handgun.
    i will either fix this myself,or i will trade it in to a dealer(telling them the issue..i am honest)but will take a pretty good loss on it,i will not buy another s/w again for sure.
    thanks for any advice or help.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Without having the gun in my hands, I can't help you... it is obviously the sear/trigger that's the problem. That, or the firing pin is sticking and slam firing. Just about has to be either of those... have you check for burrs in the firing pin channel?

I do most all of my own smithing too but for really difficult crap like this, it is sometimes the best route to send to Smith & Wesson and let them fix it. I figure you may not want to do that due to the gun being "off the books", but it's useless as described...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Without having the gun in my hands, I can't help you... it is obviously the sear/trigger that's the problem. That, or the firing pin is sticking and slam firing. Just about has to be either of those... have you check for burrs in the firing pin channel?

I do most all of my own smithing too but for really difficult crap like this, it is sometimes the best route to send to Smith & Wesson and let them fix it. I figure you may not want to do that due to the gun being "off the books", but it's useless as described...
    thanks for the help osok..
    thats why i replaced the firing pin spring with a wolff extra power one.the channel seemed clear to me but i will check it once more. i allready did the sear/sear spring..pretty aggravating problem.
    i will take it to a gunsmith i guess if this next attempt does not work...i hate doing that.
    it was a ftf purchase ..was assured it was legit so not worried about that..i just dont like the mailing it and the costs involved with going to a ffl and all that..easier to just take it to the local smith.