Thread: Taurus Judge VS S&W Governor?

Taurus Judge VS S&W Governor?

Got a question for those of you out there that are into wheel guns. When the Judge first came out I have to admit I was interested. I have always liked revolvers, for their reliability as well as the mythos that surround them. But Then S&W came out with a rival arm; the Governor. Now to get to the meat of the post: what differences in the chamber allow the .45 ACP to be used in the Governor and not the Judge? is it merely a moon clip? and what difference in the chambers of the Judge and raging judge allow the latter to shoot .454 Casul?
    Opinions, comments and advice greatly appreciated and I thank ye heartily.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Moon clips are pretty universal between all 45 colt revolvers and since the Governor is a 6 shot they will work. The judge being a 5 shot revolver will not accept the clips so no 45 ACP, that simple. Raging Judge just extended the cylinder to accept 3" .410 shells and that made it large enough for the Casull rounds. The .454 is just an extended 45 Colt but with a sturdier cup and a rifle primer instead of a pistol primer so no changes in cylinder dimensions are needed except for the longer chamber. .

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I don't know but I DO know that both of them are huge, heavy, ridiculously expensive and about as "effective" as a gas bubble in a tornado, when loaded with shot pellets. The solid bullet versions can be matched, performance wise on animals, by a 9 oz, 5.5" Keltec 380, hotloaded, because the 45 L colt won't expand a lhp at less than 900 fps, not at all, so it WASTES about half of its "power" on the far side of the man. The 380 , due to its locked breech, can be safely hot loaded to 250 ft lbs and it will all be used insideof the man, and it's 10x more likelyl to BE there when you need it than is some monster revolver.

Well, you can start by ignoring nikko.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I own the Smith, it will do just fine for what I use it for. I carry it on the lease with 3 .410 shells and 3 .45 LC Lead Round Nose. I killed a 3' rattlesnake with the .410 and a few coons with the .45 LC, expansion was fine on the little buggers. I opted for the Smith for 4 reasons, 6 shots vs the 5, .45 LC, .45 ACP with moon clips and .410 it is far more accurate than the Judge when shooting the .45 LC and .45 ACP.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.