Advantages:
    1. pretty reliable
    2. spares & repairs readily available
    3. decent performance
    4. you can talk to the neighbors
    5. any 12 volt power will operate or charge most units

Disadvantages
    1. about anyone can listen in
    If you use one of the "Single-Sideband" models, you not only get better range but the regular radios can't understand you (although they can hear you). Only problem is that you would probably have to find a used one as CB's heyday was 25-40 years ago and I haven't seen a SSB in over 20 years.
    If/When SHTF, if you can also find a "foorwarmer" (currently illegal amplifier) you can also boost your transmitting (NOT receiving) range that way. And it isn't hard to design a little substitution code that only you and associates understand. You are limited to sending each letter one at a time instead of words. Takes a while!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

swampdragon
    Wow.
    You guys are some jabber monsters.

My biggest goal would be to have something I could "listen" to, and hear what's going on around me during a SHTF scenario.

But like Mac, I'd be good with just a couple of hand helds so my wife doesn't shoot at me.

Other than that, I'd not be transmitting all over the place and giving my position away.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Wow.

My biggest goal would be to have something I could "listen" to, and hear what's going on around me during a SHTF scenario.

But like Mac, I'd be good with just a couple of hand helds so my wife doesn't shoot at me.

Other than that, I'd not be transmitting all over the place and giving my position away.
    I like the listen only part for Cb and better radios. The distance to keep my wife from shooting me would be measured in in under 100 yards, since no one can see that far in the woods where I live.

The 6 miles thing would be for if i saw something headed her way i didn't like. Maybe if i got caught with my pants down too, and was never coming back ever.

As long as this is in the survival forum... lets remember that you can always scavange from the dead... a dead cop or dead soldier (I'm not implying that I would kill them for some electronics), just reminding you to take their stuff!

Wow.
    Look whose talking.

What do you want to listen to; seriously there is HF, VHF, UHF and so on.

To get an idea of what I mean: http://www.icta.mu/images/spectrum.jpg
    The above will show who is assigned what from 3 kHz to 300 GHz.

There are quite a few decent SW portables; however, AFA, listening to police, fire and emergency services SW radios lack the ability.

Some survivalist types will tell you about this special antenna which means they don't know much about tx'ing or reading an antenna radiation graph.

One thing to remember - UHF does NOT follow ground contours the way VHF does. That's part of the reason UHF-TV and the new DTV (which is UHF) have trouble reaching out.
    As for just listening in, a decent police scanner will take care of a lot of that.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I was just thinking of this the other day.Glad someone knows their shit here.thanks Rusty.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Oh, just remembered something! Any of you ever read the book "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank? There was a passage in it about somebody communicating with another, telling them NOT to answer. The people in the story determined that it was the MOBILE unit telling the stationary BASE not to answer so as to not give their location away.
    Seems logical. Mobile tells base what they've found, lets them know they are returning, and not to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    One thing to remember - UHF does NOT follow ground contours the way VHF does. That's part of the reason UHF-TV and the new DTV (which is UHF) have trouble reaching out.
    I believe you meant HF unless you are considering the propagation modes ("Sporadic E", "Aurora", "Ducting" and "TE"). as VHF is pretty much line of sight also.

Here is a chart for ground wave distances. The chart is normalized for 2 stations, each running 1 Kilowatt to a 1/4 wave vertical antenna.

http://www.moonraker.com.au/techni/groundwave.htm

As you'll notice ground wave dies of around 30 MHz and that is with a Kilowatt. Same as anyone else who lives on a hill; I can do better than the chart using 100w. However, now line of sight comes into the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    As for just listening in, a decent police scanner will take care of a lot of that.
    More than adequate.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

My personal experience with the FRS and such mirrors that already posted - they are a waste of cash.

I think a hand-held or mobile CB along with one set-up as a base unit is probably the most practical for most. That's what I need to get...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

swampdragon
    I gots to get me one of them there "special" antennas!
    lol....

swampdragon
    Last edited by swampdragon; 07-26-2010 at 10:55 AM.

I gots to get me one of them there "special" antennas!
    lol....
    Me too.. I'm been an Ham operator for decades. The only invisible antennas I've ever heard of are called invisble are the ones made inside PVC flag poles or in attics to hide from the landlord's or HOA's eyes. All of which has very little to do with transmitting invisibly.

The funniest part of it is after I posted the link to the radiation pattern graphs; they still didn't get it. The graphs are a side view and an Aeriel view of an antenna's radiation and aren't rocket science. So if this TEOTWAWKI event that they are preparing for actually happens; potentially the first time they hit the PTT could be a major oops,

Nevah evah unner estimate th' power of web lejunds t'fog minds an' misdireck its true believahs.. LOL

That movie cracks me up!
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by cciota View Post
    That movie cracks me up!
    Me too...it's pretty good.

I may like a radio to listen to just for info and such,but I am not a communications guru,I know a litlle about cb's and have on with SSB and oddballs highs and lows,but I barely communicate now,in fact the most I do I am doing right now,I don't even have a cell phone and never answer my phone,and as far as them finding me it won't be hard, am stayin in my house until the end
    For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
    Thomas Jefferson

This is a little off topic..
    I heard that pirate radio stations are able to broadcast for a few minutes before triangulation is zeroed in..Is there a certain amount of time that it takes for the FCC or any other alphabet agency to zero in on a signal?

Also lets say that pirate radio station were to broadcast then shut down for 5 minutes or so then open back up would the alphabet agencies trying to locate it have to start from bottom rung as far as locating where the signal is broadcasting from?
    FBHO

Quote Originally Posted by chiak47 View Post
    This is a little off topic..
    I heard that pirate radio stations are able to broadcast for a few minutes before triangulation is zeroed in..Is there a certain amount of time that it takes for the FCC or any other alphabet agency to zero in on a signal?

Also lets say that pirate radio station were to broadcast then shut down for 5 minutes or so then open back up would the alphabet agencies trying to locate it have to start from bottom rung as far as locating where the signal is broadcasting from?
    It would depend on how bad "they" want you and the bottom rung must be a ground wave not a skip signal.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Guys, I've been an active ham for 55 years and have plenty of gear. However, I can't see it coming into play in a SHTF situation. Those little GMS / FRS (?) radios would be Ok for neighborhood communication only. I have a battery powered SONY 2010 Shortwave Radio that would be used to listen to activity and foreign broadcast stations that were still active. A decent portable jobber with extra batteries should be mandatory in any SHTF pack.

Also, I sell electronic systems for a living and can tell you the military has the ability to pinpoint a transmission from pretty much anywhere in a couple of seconds, if they choose to do so.

I posted the radiation pattern of the NVIS antenna at a site and they are still sure no could DF them.

I have a Sony 7600GR; it is a good SWL radio although my Grundig has the best audio. I get a different perspective by listening to SW news. To be blunt, anything is better than the trash our media feeds us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast