Thread: 1960 Polish AK's

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 02/2013 s15v8's Avatar

1960 Polish AK's

Whats the story about these? Who imports them? What barrels are used?
    Just would like some history with these.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011

Made in the US by CAI on US receivers and US non-chrome lined barrels. I can't remember but I believe the barrels are by green mountain barrels.

Thanks for replying, anything else about these rifles? Come on aknut, I know you would have something to say about these

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by s15v8 View Post
    Thanks for replying, anything else about these rifles? Come on aknut, I know you would have something to say about these
    Actually the only thing I have to say about rifles that ATF forced to be cut into piece, then allowed only some parts to be imported, and then told builders how to build them and remain within the letter of the law in full violation of the right of the people to keep and bear arms, is that if you like them, and people who own them report liking them, then enjoy.

I don't want to dump on anyone's desire to buy a "kit" built rifle, or anyone who owns one of them, it is just that I am fed up with ATF and our government telling us that our rights are infringeable as long as we play by their rules.

Again, sorry but my opinion is that if you like it, and can find verification from others that have owned it and they like it, have at it.

Yes I do have a couple of ATF approved bastages, but only because I got them for a super price.

Sorry for the rant, but my two most detested phrases are "kit built" and "post sample".

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Actually the only thing I have to say about rifles that ATF forced to be cut into piece, then allowed only some parts to be imported, and then told builders how to build them and remain within the letter of the law in full violation of the right of the people to keep and bear arms, is that if you like them, and people who own them report liking them, then enjoy.

I don't want to dump on anyone's desire to buy a "kit" built rifle, or anyone who owns one of them, it is just that I am fed up with ATF and our government telling us that our rights are infringeable as long as we play by their rules.

Again, sorry but my opinion is that if you like it, and can find verification from others that have owned it and they like it, have at it.

Yes I do have a couple of ATF approved bastages, but only because I got them for a super price.

Sorry for the rant, but my two most detested phrases are "kit built" and "post sample".
    Well I agree with you on that aknut, it is stupid to have them cut up and put american parts in it, it doesn't make it any less dangerous than with the imported items, that ak I picked up recently is awesome, I'm just really excited about this one and haven't heard too much about these kind of rifles, that's why I was asking about the history of them here, not some other forum I do a search on, because this is my favorite gun board and I really like the folks here and appreciate the knowledge and respect their opinions here.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011

To expand... I bought one back when j&g sales had them for like $6xx. My experience... Something wasnt straight. I can't remember if the gas block or the front sight was canted but something wasnt right. It was well within the range where you could reasonably zero it though. The action was incredibly smooth, felt like it had been polished. Over all it was a decent entry level AK if you wanted a milled rifle on a budget. That being said... I sold it or traded it, non-chrome lined barrel is a big negative to me. There are too many options for AK's out there and I've got only so much room in my safes. For the same money I'd much prefer a stamped SAR-1 or Mak-90.

I bought a Polish underfolder a few years back. I love it. Straight shooter, sturdy, beautiful.

Sorry about my earlier rant. Hard to write about something you really care about when your house is dripping on you. Roof leak fixed, ceiling fixed, brain back in phase!

Seriously, there are some really nice AK variants being made right now. Many are great copies of Polish or even Russian AKMs, with a couple AKs thrown in for milled receiver lovers. I think the competition among the builders have made for some of the best and highest quality AKs we have seen since the ban of the factory commercial rifles, and the one true military issue rifle, the SAR-1 (and that didn't win any awards for beauty )

Even though many don't have chrome lined barrels, most of the ammo we use is non-corrosive, so not having chrome lining really isn't a big thing, and if you get some corrosive stuff, the modern cleaning stuff still makes it not a problem.

Fit and finish for the most part is really good, with really nice funiture and much better finishes. Unfortunately crooked parts is and will always be a problem with the AK/AKM as there is nothing on the barrel to align the front sight and gas block, so it is up to the eye of the person who builds it.

Modern trigger groups have given the rifles better feel, and the chance for trigger slap has lessened. Slap is still possible because of the geometry and tolerances built into the AK, but not as bad as the Century 922 (r) conversions of 10 or so years ago.

s15v8, if I didn't have a nice collection of pre-clinton and pre-Bush1 rifles, I would be all over one of the new "Polish" variants. They look like very nice rifles, and like everything, no news is good news. People only like to complain when they have problems, and it is rare to hear someone brag about how good their rifle is, so using that yardstick, the rifle you describe should be really nice!

1960 Polish AK's

This is the one I'm talking about, and the seller also threw in 10 30round clips (just kidding) magazines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by s15v8; 02-04-2013 at 05:26 PM.

If the price was right, I would have a hard time passing on that one.

Also, thanks for a small laugh! That is a Chinese mag in your "Polish".

Regardless, that looks like a really nice rifle!!!!!!!

1960 Polish AK's

If the price was right, I would have a hard time passing on that one.

Also, thanks for a small laugh! That is a Chinese mag in your "Polish".

Regardless, that looks like a really nice rifle!!!!!!!
    You're welcome, I would like a Chinese ak to my collection but I know very little about them, I'll have to do some research on norinco and poly techs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

About the Chinese mag, I prefer them because they are easier on the fingers when removing one from the rifle. The ones with the spine can get painful if you grab them wrong during a quick, or even slow mag change.

1960 Polish AK's

Hey aknut, I was pretty young when the first ban on these aks went through, I'm curious what one looks like would you mind showing a picture of one fom your collection? I'll understand if you don't want to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't believe any "pre-ban" Polish AK variants came into this country. With the exception of a couple of Romanians, all the semi-auto AK/AKM/AK-74s that were imported were commercial rifles. I don't believe the Poles had any semi-autos used for their military, nor made any semi-auto export rifles.

In all honesty if a semi-auto Polish AK variant was imported, the one in your picture is exactly what it would look like. The reason it is allowed is because the rifle was built up using only 10 or less Polish parts, the rest being US made which satisfies the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. Even though the rifle looks exactly like a 100% Polish would, if semi-auto, because it has no more than 10 imported parts, it is legal. Hard to believe that a law would be written demanding no more than 10 imported parts be used to be legal, 11 parts illegal even though the function is exactly the same.

Some Chinese eye-candy since you brought it up. Took me a while to build this up, but is is as close as I could get it to a true Chinese 56 yet keep ATF happy.

I don't believe any "pre-ban" Polish AK variants came into this country. With the exception of a couple of Romanians, all the semi-auto AK/AKM/AK-74s that were imported were commercial rifles. I don't believe the Poles had any semi-autos used for their military, nor made any semi-auto export rifles.

In all honesty if a semi-auto Polish AK variant was imported, the one in your picture is exactly what it would look like. The reason it is allowed is because the rifle was built up using only 10 or less Polish parts, the rest being US made which satisfies the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. Even though the rifle looks exactly like a 100% Polish would, if semi-auto, because it has no more than 10 imported parts, it is legal. Hard to believe that a law would be written demanding no more than 10 imported parts be used to be legal, 11 parts illegal even though the function is exactly the same.

Some Chinese eye-candy since you brought it up. Took me a while to build this up, but is is as close as I could get it to a true Chinese 56 yet keep ATF happy.

Very nice AK!
    And sorry for being vague, I meant any AK from your collection would have done and that one is beautiful.