Thread: I get a kick out of Mauser!

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York

I get a kick out of Mauser!

OK so I bit the bullet so to speak, and picked up a Spanish M93 Mauser, year 1931
    in great shape, custom stock makes it look very nice chambered in 7mmx57 or
    7mm magnum. Gun has two black bears and six deer to it's credit. The recoil is
    not bad ( my Winchester 30-30 ) kicks more than this gun. The deer better watch
    out this next season. As soon as I figure out how to get a picture to load, I will
    post a pic.
    Just me and my monkey....

Sounds like you got yourself a good shooter, and that's really all that matters, isn't it? So, did you have your M93 rechambered to 7mm Mag, am I reading it right? I guess if I were hunting black bear I also might want something with a bit more oomph than the standard 7mm Mauser, but that is a very fine round none the less.

I own a couple of Mausers, one commercial, and one military. The commercial one is an FN, built in Belgium and chambered in .308. It's a sporter rifle with a fairly light barrel. I bedded the action and floated the barrel, and it is a sub-MOA gun now, shooting a variety of loads. The military one -- all that is military about it anymore is its receiver, which is an M98 of unknown origin. It has a bull barrel chambered in .22-250 and a nice aftermarket adjustable trigger. Drilled and tapped for scope mounts, the barreled action sits snugly in a synthetic stock. I've got a Tasco airgun 6x24 scope mounted to it. I was told the airgun stock can't handle the recoil, plus it's in the wrong direction, but those folks were wrong. It has very little recoil with that heavy barrel. I've used it for years now with no problems. Anyway, this old varminter is very accurate. I have a pet handload for it that gives my one-half MOA precision, which is good enough for me.

I also have four M98 actions -- Argentine 1909 models, to be specific. I plan to build bolt guns with all four of them. My first will be chambered in, guess what? 7mm Mauser, but I've decided to give it a bit of a twist and I'm gonna go with the Ackley Improved flavor. This will give the rifle plenty of stopping power, yet it will retain the cool factor of a custom gun being chambered in an intriguing custom caliber.

Be sure to post a pic or three. Maybe I should start a thread and post pics of my Mausers . . .
    Best,
    Michael