Thread: poly tech legend question

poly tech legend question

i just bought a pre ban poly tech legend. it was still in the box and never fired. what if anything do i need to to before shooting this gun. the other question is was 1250.00 a good price for the gun which came with everything that was supposed to be in the box (still wrapped in plastic) and i also got an extra (23) 30 round chinese made metal magazines, also never used.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Just my two cents, as a person who is deeply into Chinese AK variants, the Legend is the top of the top of AK variants, and what you paid is a very good deal. What should you do before shooting the gun? Rethink what you are going to do. You are taking a very rare rifle, one that is becoming harder and harder to find in new as issued condition, and going to turn it into a run of the mill Legend.

Granted it is your rifle, and if you want to ruin it's future value, go ahead and shoot the heck out of it. While that is what they were designed and built for, that was before George Bush-the-First banned them from importation. Had they still been available today, sure have at it, but because of the ban only a limited number made it into the country, and the number that remain unfired is approaching very low numbers. Because of this I would never consider taking a new in plastic Legend out of the bag and moving it from the rare class of new-in-box firearms to the class of shooters. Most other rifles, no problem, but the Legend isn't "most other rifles". It was and remains the closest factory made rifle to the original AK Type 3 in semi-auto sold to those of us who have rights that shall not be infringed, but were.

My advise, worth nothing more than the power required for your device to access this site, is to cherish the very rare rifle you now own, and think twice about shooting it.

i think i will try to sell twenty of the magazines to make the 1200 dollar price of something that will just sit in the closet a little more easy to swallow. you do make some very good points and i believe im going to take your advice, it sure is hard though not to shoot something so nice

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    It is very hard to have such a nice firearm and not shoot it, but as I said, if it we were still able to buy them new at our local dealers it wouldn't be an issue, but the Legend is not something you come across every day, and one in the condition you have, even rarer.

I missed that you also got 23 extra mags. If they are Poly Tech you can make back what you paid for the rifle! Poly Tech 30 round mags were the only ones I know of that have three witness holed in the back for round count. All others either only have one or none. Not all Poly Tech mags had chrome followers, and although the black follower is rarer than the chrome, people are willing to pay more for the chrome.

As you might be able to tell, I am a collector, but I also like to shoot so there are more than a couple that I have one as a museum piece, and twin to enjoy as a shooter. It gets expensive, but they say you only live once!

1250 and it came with 23 mags and you have to ask if it was a good deal? The gun alone is worth twice that much in today's market

I checked out the magazine's and they are not the poly ones as they only have one hole but I was able to get an offer of 550 for twenty of them. I'm going to see if he will go 575 which I think he will. that puts me at getting the gun for 675 not a bad deal. and just as an update the gun is now stashed away in the back of my closet behind my wife's wedding dress so hopefully after a week or two I won't be tempted by it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh4911 View Post
    I checked out the magazine's and they are not the poly ones as they only have one hole but I was able to get an offer of 550 for twenty of them. I'm going to see if he will go 575 which I think he will. that puts me at getting the gun for 675 not a bad deal. and just as an update the gun is now stashed away in the back of my closet behind my wife's wedding dress so hopefully after a week or two I won't be tempted by it anymore.
    At least post some pics for us to drool over before you put it in lockdown. The legend is my favorite AK.