Thread: Anyone Have a Decent Recipe For Hardtack?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Anyone Have a Decent Recipe For Hardtack?

I'm referring to the type of hardtack used by Civil War soldiers. I've made some in the past, but was never sure if I got the recipe right as no one I know ever made any. Most of the recipes I've tried came either from the Net or from Dixie Gunworks.

Anyone, here, ever make any and how did it come out?

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

I've made crackers along the same lines.

The ingredients are basically flower, water and salt. Baked at a low-medium heat until dry as a bone.

IIRC / YMMV

This might help but YMMV:
    Mix one teaspoon of salt with one pound of flour. Add enough water to make a very stiff dough. Cut the whole into four inch sections and poke it with holes. Bake in a flat pan at 250 degrees for two or three hours.

Its been too long since I've tried this but if you wish try it and see if it is what you need.
    Last edited by Sergi762; 03-11-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling & punctuation

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Sergi nailed it so no use duplicating his post. I've don it on the stove in a frying pan on an electric skillet and my cast iron frying pan over a camp fire. I have read that some people just lay it out on a board and prop it up by the fire. It's not a fussy recipe and any way you get it done is right.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I used a recipe just like Sergi's and it turned out great. Not exactly French cuisine but it works.
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986