Thread: steel targets for .308

steel targets for .308

Anyone ever order from these guys?

http://www.shootsteel.com/1-2-ar500-steel-targets/

Im looking for a 6in target that is able to take hits from a .308 at 100 yards. These are 1/2 in AR500 steel, priced at $24 I was going to pick a couple up. Is this what I'm looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by txgunnut View Post

Im looking for a 6in target that is able to take hits from a .308 at 100 yards. These are 1/2 in AR500 steel, priced at $24 I was going to pick a couple up. Is this what I'm looking for?
    I sincerely doubt that a $24 steel plate can stand up to rifle rounds. The type of armor plate that CAN withstand rifle shots costs a LOT more than that.

I have a 1/2 inch thick steel plate that I shoot pistol at. If I accidentally hit it with a rifle, it puts a hole right through.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

If it's AR500 steel it can take it just fine. http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm...&dir=1020|1022 Here, a link to Wideners Reloading and Shooting Supplies. They have a lot of AR500 steel targets in 3 thicknesses up to and including 1/2". The only thing they say is no AP bullets but 1/2" AR500 is high power rifle rated.

Well AR500 is armor plate, I was a contractor in Afghanistan and was issued IBA with 3/8 in. steel plate. Heavy as hell! Traded it in on ceramic plate first chance I got, it's still heavy... but does not compare to solid steel plate. I think I'll order a 6 in. and a 4 in. circle and see how it holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    If it's AR500 steel it can take it just fine. http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm...&dir=1020|1022 Here, a link to Wideners Reloading and Shooting Supplies. They have a lot of AR500 steel targets in 3 thicknesses up to and including 1/2". The only thing they say is no AP bullets but 1/2" AR500 is high power rifle rated.
    Well AR500 is armor plate, I was a contractor in Afghanistan and was issued IBA with 3/8 in. steel plate. Heavy as hell! Traded it in on ceramic plate first chance I got, it's still heavy... but does not compare to solid steel plate. I think I'll order a 6 in. and a 4 in. circle and see how it holds up.
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know the AR500 designation. I think I'll buy one or two for myself. I keep making mild steel target plates and then ruining them with rifle fire. It would be nice if they lasted.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

just dont shoot them under 100yds ......ask me why lol ....

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    just dont shoot them under 100yds ......ask me why lol ....
    Don't need to ask, bullet lead splash back is why you don't shoot them under 100 yards. 55 yards is ok for handguns, reference Handgun Silhouette Competitions min distance of 50 meters. Same thing, bullet lead splash back is why but with a handgun the bullit speed is 1500 fps usually or less vs. rifles of 2400 fps or more.

http://www.ar500armor.com/index.php I'm suprised Krupski that you missed the thread last December that had this link. Body armor company that makes AR500 plates. They'll stop the bullet but it breaks the bullet up. Ceramic plates absorb the round so no flying lead shrapnel. Still getting peppered by fragments is better than getting center punched by the intact round. Not a fan of either but I'll take the fragments over the whole bullet.

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    Another option may be to go to a local metal scrapper, or metal salvage yard.
    I have one close to me and pick up metal plate cheap, mostly 1/2" diamond
    plate, and boiler plate at about 10 cents per pound.
    Just me and my monkey....

Quote Originally Posted by binky59 View Post
    Another option may be to go to a local metal scrapper, or metal salvage yard.
    I have one close to me and pick up metal plate cheap, mostly 1/2" diamond
    plate, and boiler plate at about 10 cents per pound.
    Bullets will tear that stuff up quick. I've shot boiler plate swingers with .30-06 Lead core FMJ and it puts a good 1/4" deep or slightly deeper crater in it. That was 1" thick stuff.

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Bullets will tear that stuff up quick. I've shot boiler plate swingers with .30-06 Lead core FMJ and it puts a good 1/4" deep or slightly deeper crater in it. That was 1" thick stuff.
    Of course it will tear that stuff up, but at .10 cents a pound why not?
    I was thinking about a while ago when I went around on pickup day
    in the springtime when the town will literally pick up anything that
    you want to throw out. I got 350 lbs of weight lifting plates and used
    them to shoot at, easy to hang too, best of all "Free"
    Just me and my monkey....