Thread: East German AK-47 AKM stock question

East German AK-47 AKM stock question

Hello, I am new to the group and researching guns to buy. I have a stock question for everyone. Will an East German AK-47 AKM stock fit an AK-74? Also how is the quality of the plastic East German stocks. For some reason I like the dimple look of these stocks, and was wondering if it would fit on a 74. I want a 74 for shooting at the range as ammo is cheaper than 7.62 ammo. Thanks for any information that may be provided. The AK-74 I was looking at for sale is a Bulgarian AK-74 with wood stocks and hand grips. Like I said, I am new to AK's and am slowly learning a lot of info, although it is through the internet, as my local shops don't know about AK's. Thanks, Mike Richmond, ME

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

<scratches head...>

I have a set or two of those put away... as far as I know they should fit a straight stock bulgie 74...

Thanks for the info. I know it is a stamped receiver. It looks straight where the wood meets the metal. I have seen some milled AK's that have an angled back. Are the hand grips the same between the 47 and 74? As I said I am new, and thanks again for the info.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the addiction !!!

Yes, any European stock sets will work on any other European. The only exception might be a Yugo because of a heavier metal receiver, but other than that, as long as you are dealing with stamped receivers, they are all interchangeable. About the only issue might be the lower handguard and how it fits into the front of the receiver, but that is easy to fix with a file on the guard.