Thread: Chinese Type M53

Chinese Type M53

Just grabbed one for $120, couldn't say no. The stock is needs allot of work, but the bore and bolt assembly appear in decent condition (all things considered). I'm pretty new to the "Mosin" type lineup, I'm looking to refinish/replace the stock and just looking for some general advice on what to look for as far as possible issues with the rifle. I've heard great things about the Mosin Family lineup and can't wait to clean er up and put a few down range. I'd like to make it a permanent part of my collection and add it to my AK and SKS. Thanks in advance.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

I've been through a chit pot of them. I used to buy them from Southern Ohio, for 5 for $100. NO misprint. 5 for $100. I parkerized some, refinished the stocks on some. Removed the bayonet and lug on some, and even sporterized the stock on some. Used to sell them at gun shows for $80/$100 w/60 rounds ammo. They are dirt simple, and tough as nails. Just be sure to clean thoroughly, check all the parts, check head space, make sure the firing pin isn't protruding too much, (it's adjustable). I always test fired anything I sold. Once you're into Mosin's, check out some of the Sako rebuilt models. They have a pretty nice trigger, compared to most.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

5 for $100 would be a deal.
    I got mine from Omega for $35.
    видеодон

5 for 100...damn, guess I over paid (rookie mistake). This will be my learner mosin, if it's half the fun everyone says, I will be looking to get a russian or finnish model. Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll be hunting for tips once I dig in.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

Where is a good place to get at M53 online?

http://www.impactguns.com/chinese-ty...450079762.aspxNot sure, got mine at a local fleet. Looks like impact has some for 170 in fair to good condition. I've never dealt with them so I'm not sure what their repututation is like.
    Plato