Thread: 1929 hex receiver 9130

1929 hex receiver 9130

Picked up a 1929 Izhevsk hex receiver today at Cabela's for $129.99. It is in very good condition. It is numbers matching, even the bayonet is matching. This is my second mosin. Didn't really need another rifle, at least that is what my wife said, but I think I got a good deal. It is counter bored but from what I've read that shouldn't be that big of a deal. What do you guys think?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Sounds awesome. Wish I could find some Mosins around here, I want 2 or 3 more to put scopes/red dots on, since I'm already stacked deep with 7.62x54r.

Basically I want to be able to do all my full power rifle shooting with what I have if I had to. I basically can already but I want insurance.

Oh, and I love my laminated 1933 Hex Tula. I'll never mod anything on it.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

No Cabela's near you? Guess I'm lucky, I have 3 within 180 miles of me. They had probably 20 or so for $149.00. Still doing research on the rifle, but so far very happy with my purchase.

Good deal!

Counter bore ain't no thing. Think of it as a recesed / protected crown.

I love Sovie Mosins from that era. Talk about a piece of history! I recently came upon one that has seen a Bolshevik revolution and two World Wars! If only it could talk, imagine the stories it would tell!

I really do enjoy shooting the old rifles, even though my brother tells me that all my guns came over on the mayflower, haha. Between my 9130's, M44 and my garand, I would love to hear their stories.

Back when I was buying Chinese 53's from SOG at 5 for $100, some no doubt were from Nam, as they had the red clay dirt, here and there. Had one that actually had teeth marks in the butt, where I guess someone got it in the mouth. Some had many little holes, I think from flechette rounds. A lot of history for sure.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Counter boring is what they did to save a barrel damaged by cleaning rod wear. If it's done right should be OK.