Thread: Problems with 56s-1 trigger on new rifle.

56S-1??

Decided to rewrite after i calmed down.
    Just picked up a 56S-1.Seem to be early model as it has MS in front of serial number.First ? is after the MS it has 50 then serial number.What does the 50 mean if anything.It's a Sile,NY import black/blue bolt matching numbers.Safety lever is broke.Now just need to find another one

Last edited by blunt350; 03-16-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Was mad as hell at myself for not paying attention.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    As I said in your PM, the handguards and pistol grip are early Norinco. Very rarely seen on an underfolder but they were an option.

A picture of the internals might help in figuring out the safety issue, but there is a tab on the safety that when in the safe position (lever up) actually sits on the right side trigger arm to prevent it from moving.

I know.Wasn't thinking.Tore it apart once i got home and found it to be the safety lever.It either broke or someone was filing on it for whatever reason.Will any lever work or does it need to be chinese?I found no other markings on it like we had talked about like the 1-56s1-1 but someone has filed off bayonet lugs.Need to get better pic's up.Thanks for all the help imanaknut..

I would try to find a Chinese safety lever just to be on the .... ah... safe side. Seriously it would assure you that the geometry was correct and the color should match the bluing of the receiver.

I would like to know the thinking of the person who filed the ears off the bayo lug under the gas block. Can't see it in the pictures you have but I'll take your word for it, really sad.

Found this for you, and it's in stock! Apex is a great company to do business with.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...roducts_id/304

Here is a close up pic of safety lever and front hand guard.Being groved for spiker makes me think it didn't come on gun.

Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, you are right that those are not the handguards that would have come with the rifle. The cut for the underfolding bayo is a dead give away.

It does look like the safety has been "bubba'd". Not even going to try to guess why.

New safety lever on the way.Is it worth searching for a new gas block that has bayonet lugs still in tacked? Seeing what the last few have sold for i wonder.Maybe just say ol well and let it be,shoot it and enjoy it.

Considering that pre-Bush1 gas and front sight blocks are now rarer than the proverbial hen's teeth, I wouldn't look too hard but would keep my eyes open. Personally I have been looking for an un-neutered front sight for a Norinco, but haven't had any luck. If you find one great, if not don't be too disappointed.

Enjoy the rifle!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 02/2013 s15v8's Avatar

What did they to the front sights on postban chinese aks?

I think the previous owner may have modified the safety so that he could reinstall it without removing the under folding stock mechanism. It will interfere with the rotation of the safety lever as you rotate it counter-clockwise. You can't turn it clockwise because the trigger group will interfere with it. You must install the safety lever before you install the underfolder. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have encountered this problem with a chinese underfolder. I'm building a double underfolder spiker right now and that is what happened to me. I hope this helps. First post, glad to be here.

Good to have ya aboard IPT2nd.! You'll learn a lot.