Thread: WTF

WTF

Quote Originally Posted by The Guns Network LLC
    12-09-2010, 02:57 PM
    "via pm"
    Thanks for registering at The Guns Network LLC ~ Discussion Forums! We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.
    All the best,
    The Guns Network LLC ~ Discussion Forums
    l

I have been a member of this form since sometime around 05, and then, it was gone. Poof!

All my post, PM, and whatever.

I am not complaining or any thing like that, but what happened?

Mike

Damn JM...what rock you been hidin' under for the last couple years?

Short version goes like this:

GN was hosted on another company's servers.
    Host was not providing adequate service.
    A dispute arose between GN owners and hosting company.
    Hosting company held GN website hostage.
    Legal proceedings were initiated.
    Hosting site took original GN (including all those posts, etc.) offline.
    Legal proceedings, proceeded...slowly (there were a couple of backup sites at the time, as well as a facebook page to keep members in the loop...all this was a couple years or more ago).
    Legal proceedings looking sketchy and protracted, GN owners restarted site on servers owned by GN...this forum begun about 3-4 months after hosting site took original GN offline, this forum missing all the old posts from the hosted site held hostage.
    Legal proceedings to get original GN site/posts/etc. back (who knows where that is now...likely dead).
    Here we are, for the last (approx. 2 years).

So, once again...what rock you been under JM?
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 03-16-2013 at 05:40 AM.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Post count #10. Now, I can a PM.

Rock? Are you kidding me? I have been under a Dodge. Photos coming.

Thanks for the update Oswald. I hate to hear about the site trouble, although it might be to my advantage with some of my posts. Lord help if the government finds out.

ETA How many post to get into the roadhousr? 50

Mike

Just out of curiosity, since I have thought about starting a website and having it hosted, completely unrelated to GN or guns for that matter.

What allowed the hosting company to claim rights to the website and content? I always thought the owner of the site had full right so I don't get how the hosting company could claim rights to anything.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Just out of curiosity, since I have thought about starting a website and having it hosted, completely unrelated to GN or guns for that matter.

What allowed the hosting company to claim rights to the website and content? I always thought the owner of the site had full right so I don't get how the hosting company could claim rights to anything.
    Cypher, I'm betting David has been asking the same question.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

As I understand it the old site server owners were supposed to provide certain services and upgrades on the software by contract. They did not so they were in breach of contract, so Gunsnet owners refused to pay until the server owners did what they were contractually obliged to do, they never did, the end.

So "somebody" has all that info some where ???? Big Bro ????

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Long time no see Wilson! Good to see you back.

Maybe his account was used as an alternate ID by the Energy Secretary?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    As I understand it the old site server owners were supposed to provide certain services and upgrades on the software by contract. They did not so they were in breach of contract, so Gunsnet owners refused to pay until the server owners did what they were contractually obliged to do, they never did, the end.
    I sure hate to hear that. Most people are not concerned with what is right anymore, instead, is all about the nickel.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Long time no see Wilson! Good to see you back.
    Yea, it has been several years El Laton Caliente. For the last few years, I went backwards. That would be from the black rifle to the 1780 to 1820 era flintlock. I had to leave that site, because I was spending too much money.

Since this is a non firearm section, I will post some photo links of what I have been up to in another section.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    BINGO.... pretty accurate... as there were also other details but that was the jest of our argument.
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    The most recently revised government version of anything supersedes all evidence to the contrary past, present or future. That's a working definition of authoritarianism.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by cootertwo View Post
    So "somebody" has all that info some where ???? Big Bro ????
    Yes a company and no big bro. They do not have the rights to sell or give away any of our information on the hardrives.
    The most recently revised government version of anything supersedes all evidence to the contrary past, present or future. That's a working definition of authoritarianism.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post

Steve
    Yes quite often... They posess but do not own the rights to the information on the hardrives...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guns Network Staff View Post
    Yes quite often... They posess but do not own the rights to the information on the hardrives...
    Will we ever get it back?
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

I may sometime soon make contact to see about getting our hard drives or server returned to us.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Guns Network Staff View Post
    Yes a company and no big bro. They do not have the rights to sell or give away any of our information on the hardrives.
    That makes more sense then. It's a pretty scummy thing for them to do. At that rate I would imagine their customer base is dwindling pretty quick, hopefully they will be a fossil soon enough.

welcome back jmw, the more the merrier. we all WANT our intellectual property back.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Hell they probably wiped the drives and have been using them....All that great info and history gone.

That would be cool to get all those old posts back. All these shit on ferd threads were funnnnnnnnny.