Thread: Scoping a Mosin Nagant 91/30

Scoping a Mosin Nagant 91/30

My neighbor has a mint 91/30 that he wants to scope. He bought the original scope and mount to put on it. I know the scope/mount has to be concentric with the bore but barrel is tapered so indexing the receiver by chucking it up in my lathe is out of the question. Any ideas from someone who has done it. Is there any jig, template, schematic, etc... that would help. It is a round receiver and not the octagonal one. When mounted it looks like there would be two index pins and two screws to hold the mount in place.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Good idea but he's already got the original one. I'll show him the link.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Good idea but he's already got the original one. I'll show him the link.
    Sorry dude, missed the "original" part, guess I didn't read close enough. I was imagining some sort of bubba gunsmithing.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I let an old machinist mount mine for me. It ain't easy! Yes, there are 2 threaded holes, and 2 holes for guide pins. All must be perfectly aligned. And then, you still have to fine tune the scope bracket, to the scope mount. Once you get it all right, the scope can be removed, and reinstalled, without going too far out of zero. I have not seen or heard of any kind of template.

It may be a job for someone more skilled. Anymore success stories out there and who are folks sending them to to get scoped?