Thread: Albanian SKS what do u think?

Albanian SKS what do u think?

I have been offered a 1968 Albanian SKS for $500. All numbers match except for the stock. The stock is the dark wood variety and believe it is from the 1967-69 time frame. It has original sling and both original cleaning kit tubes. The SKS is in very good condition. No cracks. A few dings on the stock, but much better than most I have seen. So is $500 too much.

As soon as I get home, I'll post some pics.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

No idea on price as it's been years since I bought mine and you hardly ever see one for sale. They are an interesting variant and I'm happy to have one in my collection. IRefurbed mine quite a bit as it was in sad shape when I got it. By comparison your's looks to be in pretty decent shape. Congratulations!
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

good price for somewhat of a rare bird nowadays.

I had a few of them and they all had that super cheesy chip-away finish.

VERY VERY accurate though.

Unless you just gotta have one, I'd wait awhile till all this panic chit dies. The price will go down. It is interesting though. 2 holes for cleaning kits. hummmm

One tube is for cleaning tools, while the other is for oil container. I did get the Albanian. However, while cleaning it, the firing pin retainer broke on me. I ordered one online at Numrich's. I am hoping there is not a difference in the Type 56 and the Albanian as far as the firing pin retainer is concerned. The other problem is that as stated above the stock is the only non matching item and you can tell pretty easy while comparing the stock to the hand guard. I was thinking about taking the laminate off the guard to match the stock, what do you all think.

When you say "laminate" are you referring to the shellac on the upper handguard? If so I say go for it. I stripped, degreased, steamed and sanded mine and finished with boiled linseed oil. Also used cold blue on the bare parts of the metal. Looked 1000% better when I was finished.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Those were $400 to $500 when the wholesalers still had them. There are only about 8,000 left in existence and IIRC about 5,000 in the USA. Some of the year models have only 50 and 150 left around.

Richard - Not sure where my head was when I said laminate, but yea shellac. When you say "steamed", how do I do this? Also the "boiled linseed oil" how do I do this? I think I am going to stay away from cold blue for now. It really is in pretty good shape. Is this forum ok with pictures? If so, I'll post some finished pics once I am done. Is that a Jack Russel or a Fox Terrier in your pic? If its a Jack, that all black face is awesome.

El - If you told me a month ago that I would have paid $500 for an SKS, I would have replied that a revolution would have to occur first. However, I am starting to feel ok about spending that much for my Albi; I am really starting to dig it. The rifle really seems to be in great shape. From what I read on the internet, there are only 180 1968 Albi's in the US and I have one, so that alone does it for me.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I have one of the other ones...

Steaming... one method is to use an iron over a damp wash cloth or towel to "steam" pressure dents out of the wood. I haven't done it but several guys I know have run their wood through the dish washer, but DO NOT run it through the dry cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by djhuft View Post
    Richard - Not sure where my head was when I said laminate, but yea shellac. When you say "steamed", how do I do this? Also the "boiled linseed oil" how do I do this? I think I am going to stay away from cold blue for now. It really is in pretty good shape. Is this forum ok with pictures? If so, I'll post some finished pics once I am done. Is that a Jack Russel or a Fox Terrier in your pic? If its a Jack, that all black face is awesome.

El - If you told me a month ago that I would have paid $500 for an SKS, I would have replied that a revolution would have to occur first. However, I am starting to feel ok about spending that much for my Albi; I am really starting to dig it. The rifle really seems to be in great shape. From what I read on the internet, there are only 180 1968 Albi's in the US and I have one, so that alone does it for me.
    My avatar is Jimmy my Jack Russell Terrier. As stated above steaming is how I remove dents and dings in the stock. You can use a regular clothes iron or a soldering iron. Just place a damp rag over the dent and then press the iron against the cloth. The steam will swell and raise the wood. You may have to steam some several times. Don't let the rag/cloth dry out or you will scorch the wood.

Photos are fine but I believe you need more than 50 posts before you can link the photos.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I have one of the other ones...

Steaming... one method is to use an iron over a damp wash cloth or towel to "steam" pressure dents out of the wood. I haven't done it but several guys I know have run their wood through the dish washer, but DO NOT run it through the dry cycle.
    Do NOT run wood through a diswasher. Good way to have it swell and crack! No don't go there. Just do the wet washcloth and the flat iron to make it steam into the wood to puff out a dent. The Albanians as pointed out are very small in number, if any SKS is worth 5 bills it's an Albanian.

well damn I wonder what happened.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..