Thread: Replacing safety/selector

Replacing safety/selector

I's like to change the safety on my AK to A Kreb's "bolt hold open" safety. Are there instructions anywhere for this procedure? Would anyone care to stop by and help?

Why ?

Why not?

LOL!!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I'm not sure we get enough traffic these days to be complaining about people asking basic questions. I mean, its probably been 8 years since we had enough people here to actually get tired of answering questions.

If you have a standard ak, then remove your top cover, rotate the saftey lever up until it points straight up, then pull it out from the outside. If you have a retaining plate holding your FCG (fire control group: trigger, hammer, disconnector), then removing the safety lever will unlock your retaining plate and allow the FCG to be removed. Otherwise, the shepherds hook will keep everything in place when you remove the lever.

Yugo/Serbian AKs are different in that the shephards hook is wrapped around the safety lever.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    If you have a standard ak, then remove your top cover,remove the recoil spring and bolt/carrier, rotate the saftey lever up until it points straight up, then pull it out from the outside.
    also, some safety levers wont clear the back end of the trigger/disconnector. you may have to push down on the disconnector to rotate the safety up, or, worst case scenario, first remove the trigger group.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I'm not sure we get enough traffic these days to be complaining about people asking basic questions. I mean, its probably been 8 years since we had enough people here to actually get tired of answering questions.

If you have a standard ak, then remove your top cover, rotate the saftey lever up until it points straight up, then pull it out from the outside. If you have a retaining plate holding your FCG (fire control group: trigger, hammer, disconnector), then removing the safety lever will unlock your retaining plate and allow the FCG to be removed. Otherwise, the shepherds hook will keep everything in place when you remove the lever.

Yugo/Serbian AKs are different in that the shephards hook is wrapped around the safety lever.
    I think if you check the thread date you will understand 308's reply.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    also, some safety levers wont clear the back end of the trigger/disconnector. you may have to push down on the disconnector to rotate the safety up, or, worst case scenario, first remove the trigger group.
    Damn. Maybe he was better off with google. (I F'd that up)

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I think if you check the thread date you will understand 308's reply.
    Lol. I get it now.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

That is a very good point regardless of the OP date

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar