Thread: svt40! whats it worth?

svt40! whats it worth?

my brother got this today. no import marks it does have SA on it. i think its awesome myself.
    he keeps asking me what its worth and i just want it for christmas. help please!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by charger0122; 03-24-2013 at 07:49 PM.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    whats up bro! where ya been? well good to see you back. nice gun by the way

hows the bore/chamber look???

Lowball, $1,000

he said they both look good i haven't had a chance to handle it.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Is that cosmo still on it? The stock is a little rough for a refurb... that is what most of them were.

I'd say $1K is on the high side. I see prices from $500 to well over $1K, but the high end has multiple mags, original scopes and/or bayos all of which are expensive. Original snipers bring premium...

Mags run +/-$85
    Bayos are $150+
    Repro scopes are $150 while originals are twice that...
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 03-24-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Wonder how many nazis that thing has kilt?

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    thats what im thinkin to lol

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

That's one of the roughest looking ones I've ever seen, seriously. If the bore looks like the outside it should be dark and lightly pitted at the least. I think based on the appearance condtion in the photos maybe $600. If it was in typical rearsenaled condition as most I've seen have been then you'd be looking at the $1,000 buck range. When these came in to the US in the early 1990's they sold for $287 dealer.

BTW the SA is Finnish Arsenal marking. No import marks, it could of come in pre 1968 or been a war bring back maybe. The rearsenaled weapons have a plum / purple colored bolt due to the nickle content and hardness not taking the bluing well.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 03-25-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Don't know what it's worth but I bet with a good cleaning and a proper repair to the stock it would sure look a whole lot better.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Check gas system for corrosion. 800 bucks easy.

I was also going to say it looks a bit rough though if given a good cleaning it may just be dirt.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Not enough.......

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

They're nice shooters. $1000 range.

If it is a Finn, bearing the SA, then it isn't a "rearsenaled" ex Soviet import. That it isn't bearing an import stamp suggests that if it came in the US legally, it was before the 68 gun act. It looks pretty rough. I'd say $800 to a $1000 if it cleans up ok. Hard to say. Be sure to disassemble the gas system, remove the regulator, and remove all traces of rust and fouling after each use. Those parts are often pretty corroded.

If it's to be a shooter there are some bits and tools your brother might want to obtain, such as the gas regulator tool, and a stainless piston and cup.

Do all the numbers match (stamped)? If so, there is often a premium for such specimens.
    Last edited by stubbicatt; 03-29-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stubbicatt View Post
    If it is a Finn, bearing the SA, then it isn't a "rearsenaled" ex Soviet import. That it isn't bearing an import stamp suggests that if it came in the US legally, it was before the 68 gun act. It looks pretty rough. I'd say $800 to a $1000 if it cleans up ok. Hard to say. Be sure to disassemble the gas system, remove the regulator, and remove all traces of rust and fouling after each use. Those parts are often pretty corroded.

If it's to be a shooter there are some bits and tools your brother might want to obtain, such as the gas regulator tool, and a stainless piston and cup.

Do all the numbers match (stamped)? If so, there is often a premium for such specimens.
    +1. Be sure and get the tool for the gas adjustment. You'll ruin it trying to adjust with a wrench or pliers.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    +1. Be sure and get the tool for the gas adjustment. You'll ruin it trying to adjust with a wrench or pliers.
    The trick to the regulator is to have a loupe or something in your eye so that you can get the tiny little line on the 5 sided knob to line up *exactly* with the tiny little line scribed on the gas block. If you do adjust the little knob using the tool, be sure to first loosen the piston a skosh to allow the knob to more freely turn. It is a snug fit on the piston which holds the regulator in place so it doesn't move. --Should you decide to attempt to rotate the regulator without first loosening the piston, you run a significant risk of wrecking the wrench flats.

I like mine:
    Last edited by stubbicatt; 04-03-2013 at 02:24 AM.