Thread: M76 wobbly magazine problem

** Contributor 01/2013 **

M76 wobbly magazine problem

My M76 zastava 8mm will NOT feed rounds correctly unless I hold the magazine and pull back and up. Otherwise, it'll literally rip bullets out of the cases or jam half the time. If you hold it firmly, the gun feeds flawlessly and locks open on the last round. If not, it will jam or not stay open on the last round. It also tends to catch the very top of the follower and tip it straight down into the magazine itself.

I put the gun in a bench vise, secured with a thick wash rag to protect the finish. I noted that the magazine moves by 1/16th of an inch. You can put a straightened paperclip between the lock and the catch on the magazine. After that, it holds properly.

I tried making some spacers to put in between the lock on the gun and the catch on the magazine. I already had some tactical magazine releases from Red Star arms installed. They didn't work. I'd make them. Use a small screw to temporarily mount them and the lock would fail to close. Finally, I changed one that failed and put it on the magazine instead. I'm going to take it to a local welding shop to have it spot welded on the gun.

The gun needs more clearance for the lock to close then to stay shut. Thus, if it will be tight it won't close. If not, its too loose. If you hold the lock half way closed, the magazine is actually tighter!! Its almost like the lock is over-closing. The magazine doesn't wiggle too much side to side, There is also some play front to back as well, but I don't think that is jamming the gun. Its the angle being wrong that's the problem.

The gun only came with one magazine. I have three others on order from a different source. Hopefully, those will fit properly. It is probably just a problem with the magazine anyway.

If these pics work, take a look. These are just photobucket links. They upload there but not here.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Could be the mag, but could also be the mag latch is not long enough or positioned wrong. I assume this is a Century build?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Could be the mag, but could also be the mag latch is not long enough or positioned wrong. I assume this is a Century build?

I do not recall any Century built M76 rifles. These were 8 mm and there have been some .308 built ones on US receivers. These are the rifles that were imported, sold then BATFE decided they were contraband and came around and collected up all the original Yugo built rifles. The Importer then had to demill them and make kits out of them.

Ohio Rapid Fire was making them, then their builds were taken over by Assault Weapons of Ohio who is still building them. Assault Weapons of Ohio also converts MG13 mags for the 8mm M76.

CAI is now building on another receiver by Wiselite which is pretty good. Those are the M76s that JG and others are selling.

Yes the originals were straight out of the Zavasta factory back in the 80s, but those are going for $2K plus these days...

Yes, CAI build.

Yes, its a CAI build. I'm working on a solution to the problem. There is a stop on the back of the latch which appears to be too short.

Basically, I'm thinking about exploiting the Red Star Arms tactical release. If I drill 2 additional holes in it, I can form, polish and blue a cross brace that will act like a stop. It will make contact with the trigger guard.

There is also a way to shim the magazine to prevent the follower from nose diving. I'm still trying to determine whether the front of the follower or the back is the best location.

Stay tuned. Best of all, no welding is required and I think you might not even have to break down the mags. Just drill a hole in them and form the shim.

For the magazine release switch stop, rivets may be best. For the magazine, sheet metal screws might be better.

Of course, cosmoline removal first is a must.

So this is the new CAI or old with ORF reciever? Old were marked ORF.

If you get action to cycle , down to the last bullet. thats all you can do. Serbs had this same issue. they left one in.

Forum Administrator

Its your Mag...if all of them are doing it then Houston we have a problem....you can pm me plus your number and we can walk you through it of we can just fix it for you.

Forum Administrator

Ok never heard back from him....???????????????????? I fix your mag 4 u if u reply by pm'ing me.

Thumbs up I got it straightened out.

I haven't been back on this forum for a while. I didn't think anyone even responded to the post. I did manage to fix the problem, but had to do a wee bit O' grinding!! Now, the gun shoots reliably and is still breaking in.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZhC5mHvO2Pc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If that link doesn't work, try this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhC5mHvO2Pc

VI*VICTVS

Nice to hear you have it running... What groups are you getting with what ammo? Widner's has the M75 8mm in stock...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

just joined. glAD tO SEE YOU FIXED IT, AND THAT PEOPLE were so eager to help you. i like this forum allready

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Good to see you had a positive outcome. I'm still wondering why it is so picky about mag tightness. I too am interested in how it is grouping on paper.