Thread: Dragunov / PSL / Tiger questions

Dragunov / PSL / Tiger questions

I've read a little about what they call "Dragunov" rifles, but now I hear there are different models that look similar but aren't the same. Please clue me in on the diff's. A local guy is selling / trading a Romy PSL 7.62 X 54R and I was under the impression that it was just a "Dragunov" by another name.

I've been thinking a semi in that caliber would be nice, since all I have otherwise are 91/30's and an M44.

Thanks for the help.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

This should clear things up for you.

http://www.ak-47.net/ak-47/dragunov.php

http://www.dragunov.net/romanian_psl.html

The PSL is basically a large caliber AK. The true Dragunov has a different operating system
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 09-11-2010 at 05:52 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Or go to;
    www.dragunov.net

Tons of great info from a former board member, plus lots of great pics! Even one of my rifle

Thanks for those links guys.

So, being different from a true "Dragunov" as it is, how does the PSL stack-up for accuracy, dependability and utility in your opinions? I notice the PSL is used by several different countries, according to one of those links. If it is as reliable as an AK and easy to maintain, I think I'm sold.

The accuracy thing can be one of those "eye of the beholder" issues and my idea may be different from what somebody else needs. How do yours perform for you?

Quote Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
    Thanks for those links guys.

So, being different from a true "Dragunov" as it is, how does the PSL stack-up for accuracy, dependability and utility in your opinions? I notice the PSL is used by several different countries, according to one of those links. If it is as reliable as an AK and easy to maintain, I think I'm sold.

The accuracy thing can be one of those "eye of the beholder" issues and my idea may be different from what somebody else needs. How do yours perform for you?
    I got close to MOA with my old PSL, and have gotten 3/4" moa out of my NDM-86, both at 100m. And both using 7N1 ammo, pretty much the way to go for either of these rifles.

If you are looking at some of the 7N1, I can sell you up to a tin, and will beat the going prices on GB! One time good deal, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by ATAK, Inc. View Post
    I got close to MOA with my old PSL, and have gotten 3/4" moa out of my NDM-86, both at 100m. And both using 7N1 ammo, pretty much the way to go for either of these rifles.
    (Ignorance again) What's 7N1? I have a bunch of Yugo, Bulgy and Romy FMJ ammo. Will those not perform? It was pretty cheap, so I imagine it was intended for Mosins and MG's.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

(Ignorance again) What's 7N1? I have a bunch of Yugo, Bulgy and Romy FMJ ammo. Will those not perform? It was pretty cheap, so I imagine it was intended for Mosins and MG's.
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo030.htm
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

7N1 is the sniper ammo. It is uncommon. If you ask me the big let down and only one really with the PSL and draganov is the lack of match grade ammo.

As mentioned the PSL and Draganov are different rifles. They take different mags that look similer as well so you know.

They both fullfill the same type of role, what we in the west would call the designated marksman role.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Thanks R.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    They both fullfill the same type of role, what we in the west would call the designated marksman role.
    That's about the most I could expect from it, being that I wouldn't be great at what it takes to be a "S". Too old and it's too late to learn anyway.

Thought I might get a PSL in a trade this week, but it fell through. Since I've been reading the info provided in this thread and from other sources, now my hormones are flowing to get one.

Anybody had experience with the Yugo brass-cased 7.62 X 54R ammo that was on the market about 10 to 15 years ago? It's beautiful looking stuff (just like their 7.62 X 39) and it would be a shame if it didn't perform as good as it looks. I've only fired it out of 91/30's and an M44, but didn't notice anything spectacular. My rifles aren't anything special either and they're not what I'd use in testing for great accuracy.

Thought I might get a PSL in a trade this week, but it fell through. Since I've been reading the info provided in this thread and from other sources, now my hormones are flowing to get one.

Anybody had experience with the Yugo brass-cased 7.62 X 54R ammo that was on the market about 10 to 15 years ago? It's beautiful looking stuff (just like their 7.62 X 39) and it would be a shame if it didn't perform as good as it looks. I've only fired it out of 91/30's and an M44, but didn't notice anything spectacular. My rifles aren't anything special either and they're not what I'd use in testing for great accuracy.

While not directly stated regarding the PSL, it is advisable to stick to the 150gr weight bullet. Heavier bullets, like the Yugo 182gr., can cause cracking around the trunnion rivet holes due to the greater shocking of the bolt carrier. Even though the SVD is built on a milled receiver, it is designed to shoot LPS (147gr) ammo, and more specifically, the 7N1 sniper ammo (152gr., replaced by an all lead core 7N14, non-existant in the USA) I tried a couple of 203gr Wolf thru both my old PSL and my NDM-86 and the felt recoil was remarkably harsher.
    My opinion of the 7N1, while not match ammo, can provide close to, if not actual MOA accuracy. Standard ball (LPS) will get you 2-4 moa.

If I remember right, all the X54R ammo I have is around 152 or 154 gr. I'll double check it though before I use it.............which leads into the following statement: After that trade fell-through on me I found a brand new unit with matching beautiful blonde wood and the scope has the rubber acoutrements, which were not on the others they had. I had to drive 40 miles to get it, but I think it was worth it.

The trade would have been for about 600 bucks worth of guns and it was used and not nearly as nice looking as this one. I paid just under 7 bills OTD. Now I'll have to sell a few guns to balance the budget.

Lots of trigger creep but it breaks fairly crisp. I just took 2 pics that we're gonna try and set-up in my email so I can get them posted here.

Last edited by slamfire51; 09-18-2010 at 08:53 AM.