Thread: polish build quality

polish build quality

Hey guys. I'm usually lurking on the Chinese board as the 2 rifles I have are MAK90's,but I'd Like to hear what some of you have to say for Polish AK's. I'm in the market for a quality AK underfolder in 7.62x39. Id like to find a norinco but a decent 1 is pushing $2k anymore. The Polish quality from Random plant is legendary, but would like any words of wisdom concerning their variation. Thanks for any and all replies.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well the only Polish rifles I've held were built on US receivers. The kits show some of the best quality fit and finish / machine work of any AK bar none. Milled Polish rifles, the originals had metal that was on part with sporting rifles. I built 2 Polish under folder AKM types, they were my favorite builds of all of the AK rifles I built before I sold off my tooling.

thanks for the info S'man. Are the barrels chrome lined? Is there a history of crooked front sight posts? Thickness of receiver? Sorry,but trying to cover some of the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by buxman66 View Post
    thanks for the info S'man. Are the barrels chrome lined? Is there a history of crooked front sight posts? Thickness of receiver? Sorry,but trying to cover some of the basics.
    Yes the barrels are chrome lined. I didn't have any problems with crooked sight towers on the two builds I did, they were original barrel kits with matching numbers. Receivers are 1 mm as are all European AKM types. The Chinese guns have 1.6 as their metal is not as tough as the European metal. Here I'll post a photo or 2 of my last build. Remember though, I did KG Gun kote refinish the metal. The handguard wood is original and untouched, no refinishing by me.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    As Schuetzenman said, you will only be able to find an American built rifle using a maximum of 10 Polish parts. Build quality will only be as good as the person building it here in the land of shall not be infringed. That is not to say you can't find a very nice rifle, you can, you just have to be a little careful with the purchase process.

That's what I'm looking for, thanks for the insights. Beautiful weapon S'man! Just trying to gather some info so I don't end up w/ a weapon w/ all kinds of issues. Looks like I'll be looking for a polish underfolder now! I've looked @ the Yugoslav M70 (a2b?) because of its heavier 1.5mm receiver,but I'm not liking its non-chromed lined barrel.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    Guy's, how hard is it to install a underfolder kit on a mak-90??

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Yes the barrels are chrome lined. I didn't have any problems with crooked sight towers on the two builds I did, they were original barrel kits with matching numbers. Receivers are 1 mm as are all European AKM types. The Chinese guns have 1.6 as their metal is not as tough as the European metal. Here I'll post a photo or 2 of my last build. Remember though, I did KG Gun kote refinish the metal. The handguard wood is original and untouched, no refinishing by me.

beautiful rifle by the way shuetz! o yeah... the question about the under folder on a mak. can you still install one if it has either a slant cut or a straight cut?

No really,'killa.....ask away! Lol Haha
    mak90's (Chinese!) Have knock-outs similar to a electrical box,.....that would be on stamped receivers only I believe.
    Last edited by buxman66; 03-31-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    Guy's, how hard is it to install a underfolder kit on a mak-90??
    I have seen an adapter that fits on the standard fixed stock tang and rear trunion that has the underfolder on it. Doesn't look as good as the standard underfolder, but it allows you to use it on the rifle with no modifications needed to the receiver. Guessing the adapter is sized for the Euro AKM so you would have to do a little filing on it to fit the thicker metal of the Norinco.

In order to install a standard Chinese underfolding stock on a fixed stock MAK-90 you would have to remove the rear trunion and replace it with the one from an underfolder that covers the rear of the receiver, then drill the holes in the receiver for the folder mechanism as well as the slots for the locking tabs. The rear of the receiver would also have to be modified as the underfolder receiver has a slant cut to it's rear.

While it can be done, you run the risk of ruining the receiver, not to mention the near impossibility of finding the rear cover plate.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I have seen an adapter that fits on the standard fixed stock tang and rear trunion that has the underfolder on it. Doesn't look as good as the standard underfolder, but it allows you to use it on the rifle with no modifications needed to the receiver. Guessing the adapter is sized for the Euro AKM so you would have to do a little filing on it to fit the thicker metal of the Norinco.

In order to install a standard Chinese underfolding stock on a fixed stock MAK-90 you would have to remove the rear trunion and replace it with the one from an underfolder that covers the rear of the receiver, then drill the holes in the receiver for the folder mechanism as well as the slots for the locking tabs. The rear of the receiver would also have to be modified as the underfolder receiver has a slant cut to it's rear.

While it can be done, you run the risk of ruining the receiver, not to mention the near impossibility of finding the rear cover plate.
    HOLY CRAP NUT!!! thats alot of work! lol, do you remember that polish under folder i bought for 100 bucks? guess thats the only choice i have on one right now. i'll have to do some work on it and find a front hangaurd for it but i guess that will be my best bet. sure would like a polytech or a mak-90 with a under folder on it though. i think they look awesome.

Most of the Chinese underfolders are pushing $2k+ or are suspect in build parts for the money. Looking for comparative quality for lot less dough. Doing the research makes a hell of a difference. Guys are looking to get their money back out of a prior purchase and by the length of time its for sale you can tell the buyers know what they're looking at also.

Here is one I would like to find if the price was right. Look closely at the back of the receiver.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=334628482

I would prefer it with magazines instead of "clips"!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Here is one I would like to find if the price was right. Look closely at the back of the receiver.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=334628482

I would prefer it with magazines instead of "clips"!
    is that a bolt in the hole for a underfolder in the rear of the reciever? wow. never would have thought the mak-90 would come stock with a place for one.

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    is that a bolt in the hole for a underfolder in the rear of the reciever? wow. never would have thought the mak-90 would come stock with a place for one.
    oh yeah, them are big ass clips!!! lol

Apologies to the OP for the thread hi-jack, but there were some Norinco 56S-1 caught in port at the start of the Bush1 ban enforcement and some importers removed the folder, riveted a couple of plates over the holes in the receiver and welded a tang on the rear cover plate to allow for the Bush-hole stock to be installed. There were some that locked the folder forward and just installed the Bush-hole stock on the back. Talk about a funny looking rifle!

To return the rifle to it's original evil glory, you just have to cut the one rivet which held the plates on both sides, remove the stock tang and install the folder. Of course finding an unadulterated front sight and gas block are near impossible, and if found, crazy expensive, but at least you would have a nice underfolder that should be less than the cost of a pre-ban 56S-1.

Quite alright 'nut,school is in session!
    Btw,seen one (Mak90) on armslist still in original shipping box that had a thumbhole stock mounted for import,but also in box was a underfolder assembly and pistol grip along w/ its mounting screw for $1200.
    Last edited by buxman66; 03-31-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: additional info.

I see this thread has progressed along with Nut handling the details very well. I would add as has been pointed out that, underfolders are extremely hard to build right. I'd built 20 std. fixed stock rifles and finally tackled the two Polish kits, one belonged to an acquaintence, the other was mine. That's the one pictured above btw. I was sweating bullets, (no pun intended) on both builds as the receivers were not done for folder stocks. I had to locate and drill all the holes in addtion to riveting the rear trunion in place. It doesn't take much to frig up the receiver. You do it wrong and it won't fold or will be loose as a goose.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 04-02-2013 at 07:02 PM.

I plan on looking at the Polish or possibly yugo underfolder to round out my preps for a bug-out type scenario.
    Eta: I've had to lower my expectations a tad to get a rifle that is somewhat more concealing than say a fixed stock type weapon. An original Chinese underfolder meets the threshold of collectability/concealment better than the Polish/Yugoslav underfolder but the latter will fill my actual needs in a weapon. I wish the funds could meet ALL the wants but I believe for the money the Polish will fill that need. Jmho.
    Last edited by buxman66; 04-01-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: additional info.

Finally found 1. Has a global machine rec.'r 1.5mm and is built by Armory USA. Will post pic later. Best of all it was had for a trade deal.