Thread: Need help identifying a Mauser

Need help identifying a Mauser

I picked up a Mauser this weekend and the top of the receiver is marked dou 43. I did my research and saw that this means it was made at the Waffen factory in the Czech republic. My question is, is it considered a German or Czech Mauser? I know the Czech ones usually have the Model 98 dou and then the year on the top of the receiver but mine just has dou and 43 and the model 98 is on the side of the receiver like the German ones. I know Germany occupied this country and it was at the height of the war and also the factory is a Waffen factory and this is why I think it could be considered a German Mauser with the German manufacturing and tooling. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Welcome to the board sport. I would consider it a German military mauser.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Thanks Richard. Also the "story" behind it is that it is a war capture but it was covered in cosmoline which made me question if it is a war capture but it does not have any visible importation mark. I don't know if the cosmoline came after the war if it is a capture the person who brought it back covered it in the stuff.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sport10990 View Post
    Thanks Richard. Also the "story" behind it is that it is a war capture but it was covered in cosmoline which made me question if it is a war capture but it does not have any visible importation mark. I don't know if the cosmoline came after the war if it is a capture the person who brought it back covered it in the stuff.
    It might be one that was imported that got missed in the stamping process or it might be marked in small font in an out of the way place such as the bottom of the barrel in front of the stock. IIRC ATF changed the marking criteria at some point in the past. Before that change the stamping could sometimes be quite small. It could also be an early import. I purchased a French M1907/16 one time that was covered in almost tar like cosmolene. It was not stamped but then again, based on other evidence I'm pretty sure it came over from Spain (Spanish Civil War useage) in the early 1960's. Your mauser could be something similar.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell