Thread: Anybody know anything about the Ruger SR22 ????

Question Anybody know anything about the Ruger SR22 ????

Been wanting a dedicated polymer framed .22 for a while now. It also has to be "can friendly".

I know Umarex makes the SIG Mosquito and the Walther P22.....both of which seem to suffer all kinds of problems and or limitations.

So how is the SR22?

Is that another Umarex made pistol?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The SR-22 is an American made, reliable version of the P-22 design.

The pistols function nearly identically, except the Ruger is reliable and made of quality materials.

(This is based upon my READING, not personal experience)
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

With the past bad history of the SIG Mosquito, I would choose the Ruger. I've been doing a little reading on it myself, and it seems to be well accepted.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I don't know, I haven't read up on them and don't own one. However, I see that they have an aluminum slide and that makes me go hummmm. I don't mind a polymer frame, but a slide made of aluminum ... I have my doubts. My next question is does it ride on polymer rails or is it riding on steel. I shudder to think of an aluminum slide tracking on steel inserts in the frame. Then maybe they have steel inserts in the aluminum slide, to which I would ask ... how are they holding those to the aluminum?

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    The SR-22 is an American made, reliable version of the P-22 design.

The pistols function nearly identically, except the Ruger is reliable and made of quality materials.

(This is based upon my READING, not personal experience)

Same here, from what I've been hearing the Ruger actually works.

As for the alum. slide it's gotta be better than the cheesy potmetal slide Umarex is using for the Walther P22. No reports of cracked slides like the P22 at least not yet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    As for the alum. slide it's gotta be better than the cheesy potmetal slide Umarex is using for the Walther P22. No reports of cracked slides like the P22 at least not yet anyway.
    Wow. I was scrolling down to type just that.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i havent shot the shit out of it, maybe 2-300 rounds, but no problems so far. looks very well made too.

i had a semi rifel i was working on with feed problems, it would catch the shell in the middle and crush it. i couldnt throw those rounds out, so i ran them through the sr22. some of them were so bad i did have to whack the back of the slide to get them to go into the chamber and get thte slde into batery, but other than that, still ran fine.

also ran it with my "junk box ammo" an ammo can from a flea market with an assortment with every brand and type of 22lr round ever made. some like new, some green and tarnished, and everything between. never had a hiccup on any of those either.