Thread: Where to get fast twist barrel for Ruger 96-44?

Where to get fast twist barrel for Ruger 96-44?

I'm 3 months in waiting for my 44 silencer for my Ruger 96-44. I'm planning on running a 300gr hollow point sub-sonic. The factory barrel will not reliably stabilize this bullet (plus I really want a stainless barrel for the integral build) so I need something with a faster twist rate. Problem is, I cannot find such a barrel.

I did find on manufacture that makes blanks. But that entails a LOT of work. And frankly, for the amount being charged for the blank, it should be ready to screw in.

Does anyone know who can/does manufacture a fast twist barrel for the 96-44?

Does anyone have a recommendation for twist rate for this application (I'm thinking 1:12)?

Thanks you

I'm going to bump this thread. Anyone?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Not that familiar with that rifle. The 44 I'm taking to mean .44 magnum right? http://www.douglasbarrels.net/pricelist/ Have you checked with Douglas Barrels yet. They do make blanks that would require you to contour and thread the blank, also cut the chamber. Not sure but they might make a custom barrel to your specs, but it will be expensive if they do that. Probably as much as your suppressor.

Greenhill Formula http://www.ebr-inc.net/articles_Greenhill_Formula.html take a look at this for calculation of rifling twist. Also etake a look at this http://www.kwk.us/twist.html
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 04-30-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Not that familiar with that rifle. The 44 I'm taking to mean .44 magnum right? http://www.douglasbarrels.net/pricelist/ Have you checked with Douglas Barrels yet. They do make blanks that would require you to contour and thread the blank, also cut the chamber. Not sure but they might make a custom barrel to your specs, but it will be expensive if they do that. Probably as much as your suppressor.

Greenhill Formula http://www.ebr-inc.net/articles_Greenhill_Formula.html take a look at this for calculation of rifling twist. Also etake a look at this http://www.kwk.us/twist.html
    Yes, I looked at douglas and saw their blank. There prices is outrageous for a blank IMO. I just want a replacement barrel ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Yes, I looked at douglas and saw their blank. There prices is outrageous for a blank IMO. I just want a replacement barrel ready to go.
    You know from 1993 to 1995 I purchased several 8 mm basic barrel blanks from Douglas. At the time 14 to 16 twist was the norm, I got some 12 and 10 inch twist blanks to work on subsonic performance for cast bullet Schuetzen rifles. To get to the point the blanks were $80 bucks, that was 20 years ago. When I think about it in that perspective I guess the price of the basic blanks isn't all that bad. I was paying $1.15 a gallon for gas as well, it is just the reality we live in.

Well, the SRT Silencer company builds integrals on the 77-44. I found this on their web site:
    We recommend an optional Douglas Match barrel in a special 11:1 twist rate for improved accuracy over the factory Ruger barrel when using subsonic loads.
    The Douglas site does not list this barrel at all. I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow and see what they have "off the menu".

Well, I called Douglas barrels today. They had a chrom molly Blank in 11:1 twist in stock (not available in SS ). They did give me dealer pricing on my C&R so I ordered one. It should be here in about a week.

I've never worked with a blank before. I've done finishing work on roughed in barrels, but never this much work. It'll be interesting. . .

Found my barrel blank on the porch this morning. Don't know how long it's been out there, could have been a couple of days. Just a bit of surface rust on the outside, can't see the inside too well.

I've never messed with a blank before. Looks like I can get two barrels out of this thing.

Anyone have any 44Mag reamers, guess I'll need a rough and finish reamer?

Pics of the barrel blank. 26.25 inches long and 11 POUNDS!!

Boy I hope I haven't bitten off too much with this project. Looks like I'll need reamers and headspace gauges. I recall a place you could rent reamers from. Ya'll have any help on that?

Oh, and it looks like there's plenty of length there for my to take 10 inches and sell the rest. I wonder if anyone would be interested.

Generally speaking you should toss the last 1 inch of the blank if you were going to use it full length. I would recommend making a bore plug with a tapered hole in it to be used as support for a live center on the tail stock of a lathe if you plan to contour it.

I don't know where to rent a reamer but I do know Clymer Reamers. Brownell's does have them in stock it seems, .44 mag reamers by Clymer.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 07-25-2013 at 06:22 PM.

L1A1rocker,I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing on my Remington 788 .44,how is it working out??

Quote Originally Posted by turdypointbuck View Post
    L1A1rocker,I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing on my Remington 788 .44,how is it working out??
    Haven't really messed with it much. I've still got several months for the ATF Forms to come back. Plus, I've got a buddy doing a bit of research and design for me. I'll have a custom reamer made to optimize that 300gr bullet with that short OAL.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization