Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang it...I just did a firearms no-no.

was_peacemaker

Dang it...I just did a firearms no-no.

I was checking my 92 F/S to see if it needed to be cleaned and accidentally dropped the slide on a empty chamber! I deserve a for that one!

Whats the chances I could have damaged something?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    I was checking my 92 F/S to see if it needed to be cleaned and accidentally dropped the slide on a empty chamber! I deserve a for that one!

If its like any other service pistol, none.

Dropping it on an empty slide isn't good for it, but its not like you do it one time and it breaks your gun. Its just accelerated wear.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    With a 92FS the chances are as close to zero chance of hurting them. I wouldn't worry.

prolly needs less attention than you.

just sayin......
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

If it is that fragile, how does it not fly apart when the round goes off? (snicker)

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    If it is that fragile, how does it not fly apart when the round goes off? (snicker)
    Ive been told that that is a big nono on a 1911 its hard on the slide stop

From what I understand it is hard on the ejector.Not being in the correct position when slamming forward.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    prolly needs less attention than you.

just sayin......
    Yeah your right...I don't get emotional about women...but my boomsticks I do.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I don't know man, that kind of abuse will probably shorten it's life significantly.

I'm in a magnanimous mood, tell ya what, i'll take it off your hands,even though it has suffered this serious abuse, for say 50 bucks.

No,no, don't thank me. I consider it my civic duty to take in and pamper abused guns.

Last edited by davepool; 05-02-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

good thing you didnt dry fire it too, probably would have just fell apart in your hands.

1911's huh, well I've owned a series 70 in 77 until 1982 when I got a series 80. I've dropped the slide on pleny of empty chambers and for some reason the weapons still work just fine.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post

well I hate to tell you this, but if that gun sat on a store shelf for any amount of time it probably had it's slide dropped on an empty chamber about 700 times, also probably got handled by a couple skuzzy guys who didn't wash their hands the last few dozen times they dropped a deuce.

I think the damage comes from firing it rather than closing on an empty chamber.
    http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=5&f=15&t=101362

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    I think the damage comes from firing it rather than closing on an empty chamber.
    coincidentally I just left my g17 in the dryer set to "tumble" for about 6 hours.

do you think my dryer will be OK?

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    The images in that link are exactly why I won't own a 92 any model variant from Beretta. They are not nearly as tough as a 9 mm Glock.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

The images in that link are exactly why I won't own a 92 any model variant from Beretta. They are not nearly as tough as a 9 mm Glock.
    not like you couldnt show a thread full of pics of blown up glocks too.

machines fail, its part of life. nothing is perfect.

Now what were you saying about it flying apart when shooting it? ;-)

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Come on guys, seriously?

If these were such horrible designs that were blowing up like pipe-bombs and leaving dead bodies in their wake, do you really think either company would be in business here in our lawyer happy society???

Yeah there have been actual documented cases of failures with Glocks and Berettas just like there are with just about every brand that exists, but if this was the norm they would not be in business for long.

Coke vs Pepsi.....Chevy vs Ford.....etc...etc...

Brand loyalty is a fine thing but try a reality check every once and awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    not like you couldnt show a thread full of pics of blown up glocks too.

machines fail, its part of life. nothing is perfect.
    I did say 9 mm .... Glocks. There have been 100,000 plus round torture tests of model 17 and 19's. The slides don't split into two pieces. About the only thing that breaks is the trigger spring sometimes. I started looking into the Beretta 92 family pistol failures after a customer of mine told me he had one and the slide split at 13,000 rounds. He sent it to Beretta and they said they were quite amazed it lasted that long, that they were supposed to fail about 10,000 rounds.

Now 99% of most handgun owners will be lucky to shoot more than 2 boxes of cartridges through their gun in a lifetime of owning it. The remaining 1% of us will do thousands and thousands of rounds. My one handgun I've shot the most is my Python, it has about 8,000 rounds through it. My oldest Glock 19 has possibly 3,500 rounds through it. Nothing has broken on either weapon.

was_peacemaker
    I did say 9 mm .... Glocks. There have been 100,000 plus round torture tests of model 17 and 19's. The slides don't split into two pieces. About the only thing that breaks is the trigger spring sometimes. I started looking into the Beretta 92 family pistol failures after a customer of mine told me he had one and the slide split at 13,000 rounds. He sent it to Beretta and they said they were quite amazed it lasted that long, that they were supposed to fail about 10,000 rounds.

Now 99% of most handgun owners will be lucky to shoot more than 2 boxes of cartridges through their gun in a lifetime of owning it. The remaining 1% of us will do thousands and thousands of rounds. My one handgun I've shot the most is my Python, it has about 8,000 rounds through it. My oldest Glock 19 has possibly 3,500 rounds through it. Nothing has broken on either weapon.
    According to the Army they rate the 92 slide at 35,000 rounds. When I talked to Beretta...it seems that they rated the slide to about that. But...apples and oranges. Its like a couple posters have pointed out. You can find mass failure in anything that is mass produced whether its a firearms brand, automotive, boats...etc.

On another note I do like the Glock 17 longslide...its on my list of to get pistols.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast