Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of home smithing do you do?

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

afaik, the only real differances are with the magwells. i dont think there are any other changes in the 47 and 74 flats.

I do some good bolt and trigger work on AKs and Saigas....plus some barrel cutting, crowning, & threading...etc. I've been doing PG conversions on sporter AKs and Saigas since the AWB expired. My real passion is the S-12. I've done just about everything that can be done to them. Been concentrating on reliability mods to them and the other Saiga shotguns for the past few years...mainly reworking the gas ports, gas blocks, bolt & bolt carriers, FCGs, re-profiling and polishing all the contact surfaces and eliminating high friction areas. The S-12 and S-20 both are finicky as hell with light loads, especially right out of the box. Used to be, they could be loosened up enough to run by just shooting a few boxes of magnum loads. Lately though, since they retooled at the Izhmash factory, and changed the way they do a lot of things, the quality control has gone downhill bigtime, and guns are getting built with everything wrong from not enough, or undersized gas ports...to obstructed ports and canted gas blocks....etc. The re-profiling and polishing I do on the bolt and carrier, as well as the hammer face, and all the polishing of the areas causing the most drag on the action, vastly improve performance. As finicky as they can be with some ammo, you can't afford to have any drag on the moving parts. The bolt work also makes insertion of full mags much easier on a closed bolt.
    Got some before / after pics on a website I'm still working on building up...

I have a couple of working prototypes I built for an automatic last round bolt hold open. Been fighting one setback after another for the last few years, while trying to bring them into production and put on the market. I have them installed in these two S-12s I built...
    This one was the very first S-12 in the US to be built with real AK wood furniture, back in '05 before there were kits available to do it with. Got Ted Nugent to sign the stock which was fun. I made up my mind I was going to have the first one that actually looked and felt like a real AK, so I did it. Still my favorite gun.

This one I went the other direction with...

Here's one of the first Bullpup S-12s to be built. Did this last year...

Saiga .308 that I did a bunch of work on to get what I wanted. Still need to move the FSB back and thread it for a brake or hider. Thinking about putting either a Tabuk brake or a customized L1A1 FH on it.

Then my other S-.308 that went back to basics on. This one also took a fair amount of custom work to get it right. It started out as a 22" bbl sporter.
    Last edited by slamfire51; 01-05-2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: SPAM is not allowed in posts. Please read the board rules.
    Improvise....Adapt....Overcome!

Great looking rifles and shottie!!

Are the round AK HGs available anywhere? I'd like one for a AK pistol.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Can’t speak for the flats. But on the NDS receivers the magwell is tighter. The ejector is longer and the dimples are deeper. Harlan has posted that they will not work with 47 builds because the dimples are to deep. I did do several 47 builds on Armory USA 74 receivers. The dimples where not an issue.

As for what I do? It's easier to say what I don’t. I don’t send anything out. If I can’t do it myself, I either learn how to do it or it does not get done. The only exception is wood carving. My uncle is an expert and gets all the families carving projects.

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    Great looking rifles and shottie!!

Are the round AK HGs available anywhere? I'd like one for a AK pistol.
    Yes I got them from a couple of friends who make them. Which ones are you most interested in?
    Improvise....Adapt....Overcome!

Yesterday I rechambered my 300 whisper to 300 AAC Blackout.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I used my new Dremel tool to shorten the mag catch on one of my AKs a little so all my mags fit. Going to cut the muzzle nut off soon and put on a flash hider.

I've put in trigger groups in a few AKs, and have fixed up a bunch of rusty PSL mags to working condition. Also I used the Dremel to hand fit the mags to my PSL.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra 76 Two View Post
    Yes I got them from a couple of friends who make them. Which ones are you most interested in?
    The SAIGA in front of the safe.
    I would like a HG like it, but for a Romy 47.
    But only 6-8" long.

ETA:
    Don't need any rails or sights, just a plain Jane tube with the ability for it to fit a receiver.
    Last edited by slamfire51; 01-06-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Ok. I just cut the muzzle nut off my Draco, cleaned up the threads, and installed my Tapco slotted muzzle brake/ flash hider.

I do everything myself I have built several make that alot of ak projects.

New to the Site

Hello everyone. Being new to the site I figured this would be a great place to post first. I'm a (hoefully soon to be retired) gunsmith for the DoD. I've been smithing for about 26 years. I have a small shop in Kentucky that I like to tinker in and make odd ball scratch builds, parts kit builds or what ever strikes me as interesting. Any gun work I do outside of the DoD is by appointment only and has to be something that's interesting. Looking forward to chatting with ya'll.
    What Have We Learned in 2,065 Years? Apparently nothing. In 55 B.C, Cicero, the Roman philosopher, statesman, and lawyer, wrote: “The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

to the board Robert. Do limit your offers for services to the classifieds please. You can discuss your projects here though!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

ive done lots of small stuff. teh biggest projects to date were complete rebuilds of a couple winchester 1911 12 ga autos. New stocks (mill blanks) from Macon that had to be fitted and finished, new internal parts on both, new buffers and springs. i debated sending them off to be hot blued but the $$ werent there after dropped 300$+ into new stocks. i do better work on older guns vs newer ones it seems. when it comes to smithing i get along better with old wood and blued steel for some reason.

SW

Nice job! Love to see the project pics guys -thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I tend to do easy to "moderate" type gunsmithing jobs myself.

Things like drilling and tapping for a scope mount our sight, cutting a 45 degree chamfer on rifle crowns - to clean-up the terminus of the rifling and improve accuracy, simple bedding type jobs, replacing furniture, changing out sight blades - that kind of thing.
    That about covers what I do, at least so far. Ain't dead yet, so I figure I'll get around to learning and doing more. God help us all! LOL

Well, a moderately well equiped shop can allow you to do a lot of stuff. I've done rechamber, rebarrel, AK and AR assemblages and other limited smithing jobs - all in a shop sans mill, lathe or welder.

I'd like to get a good lathe and I now have a buzz box (Arc welder) that I've got learn how to use.

I enjoy the shop time a lot - wish I had more time to do it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12