Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of home smithing do you do?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Question What kind of home smithing do you do?

I tend to do easy to "moderate" type gunsmithing jobs myself.

Things like drilling and tapping for a scope mount our sight, cutting a 45 degree chamfer on rifle crowns - to clean-up the terminus of the rifling and improve accuracy, rechambering to an AI cartridge, simple bedding type jobs, replacing furniture, changing out sight blades - that kind of thing.

About the most complex project that I've done is work on an already-sporterized (half assed) m94 swede mauser - installed a Beuhler safety, reshapped the stock to allow the base plate to fit properly on the receiver botton (and allow proper feeding), re-drilled the scope mounts (to repair the stripped ones), cut and ground/polished and blued a steel buttplate to fit the stock, installed sling swivels and ... did a full-length glass bed.

The other harder work that I've done would best be posted in the AK build forums...

So, how about you guys? What kind of home-smithing do you undertake?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

So far I have reprofiled 1911 GI frames to fit beaver tails and some trigger polishing. Assembled a few AK parts kits into rifles. Reprofiled and polished AK hammers and trigger groups. Made two AK pistols including the barrel slim down and redoing the gas port my self. Making the FS/GB combos and cutting and welding the rear trunions and everything. I guess on the lighter side, I have refinished all of mine and various others in bake on paints. Assembled a few ARs, including light trigger work to smooth some out a bit. I recently aquired an SKS and I did a mild trigger job to take some of the 2tons of pull out!

Not much but Deth and Moe are learning me somthin.

For my pistols

I have the best smith in the state no bullshit this guy is good and the best part is he is fair with his prices .

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I tend to do easy to "moderate" type gunsmithing jobs myself.

So, how about you guys? What kind of home-smithing do you undertake?
    I do all my own gun work. Either at home or at the machine shop at the university. Only thing I can't take in there is a complete firearm. I have taken barrels in to cut or crown or whatever they needed.

The only time I used a real gunsmith was when Wolf 45 ammo almost destroyed my old 1920 M1911 and the smith had to repair the battered breechface. He had the special cutter to do it right (apparently the 1911 breechface is not perfectly perpendicular to the slide... it's angled slightly to allow the round to slide up and under the extractor). He had the right tools to clean up the breechface, and do it at the correct angle.

Anything else... I do myself.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

you name it, i do it, except bluing and parking. ill dig up some pics after work......

Thanks guys - we have a lot of experience here - looking forward to seeing projects, etc. - post em up! I'll try and put some of mine up too - at least the "after" pics...

I mostly do easy tasks, changed the trigger on my G19. On my AR's changing furniture and scopes/mounts, I just figured out how to change a barrel on AR's so I have much to learn.

Both my AR's did some furniture changing on the S&W M&P15T, and did all the work on the DPMS LR308 AP4, G19 and USP 45 Tac also in the pic.

The Remington 700 sps tac in 308 I had a friend do the glass and rings, and I did the base.

Need some pics guys lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

better late than never.

heres one of the last builds, off of a badly butchered mauser action.

lots of work went into that one, including making my own brake, and a MASSIVE rework of a stamped trigger guard.

one of my last scratch builds.

suomi bolt (heavily modified), ar fcg, ar fsb, ar pic mount a2 type rear site, cheap pos red dot, yhm risers for said red dot, bored out ar fh, ar pg, pachymar recoil pad, a few screws and springs from the hardware store, and a shit load of raw steel and aluminum and machining time

I do everything except Parking and barrel threading.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Wow - very nice Deth. That second one is quite the creation!

I've never gotten into welding and real milling - which has held me back in my projects...

I might have to do something about that...

My last build was this Romy PSL it was my first on a 100% recevier that I got from TG International.
    With the big scope I have no problem ringing the gongs at 300yds.

Here is what I started with.

The cold blue turned out great.

thanks osok. it really dosent take that much of an investment, depending on your pov. my mig was a littel over $500 with the tank, and the mill was around $1200. of course, tooling costs a bit more, but if you look at it compared to how much this hobby costs, its not alot. ie, 2-3 good range trips can easily deplete a 1k rnd case of x39 or 223, thats 1/5 of the mill. a new ar from a kit will cost you about $600, thats 1/2 the mill.

and once theyre there, you end up using them for a lot more than you origionally thought you would.

karl,

i prefer the look of the traditional military scope on the psl's, but that long scope on that long rifle actually look very nice together

I've done a little work.
    I need a bit more room so I could get a mill.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

built all my own ak's including bending the flats and riveting it all together. will have to dig some pic's up.

had some issues on a bulgy plum 74 that i am still working out ,the trigger doesnt go back after shooting it so i have to move it back manually (it hangs up)

Quote Originally Posted by cantstop View Post
    built all my own ak's including bending the flats and riveting it all together. will have to dig some pic's up.

had some issues on a bulgy plum 74 that i am still working out ,the trigger doesnt go back after shooting it so i have to move it back manually (it hangs up)
    Does the casing extract?
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

I've built 35-40 AK pistols from rifle kits.
    Built several AK rifles.
    Built 5 AR's from scratch. 308 now has my AK tools and jigs. (or did have)
    Somewhat modified a Mosin into my camoed hunting rifle. Shortened and crowned the barrel, and set back all the metal hardware on the stock to mimic a short barrel Mosin.
    And other stuff I can't recall at the moment.

There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I'm waiting for azhonkey to chime in with his projects.
    Last edited by slamfire51; 11-01-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Wow. There is some great work in this thread!!! I've done quite a bit on my own but have my limitations. I do not do any welding - I really should work on that, or blueing but I do parkerizeing.

My latest project is posted here in the gunsmithing forum as a 5 part series.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

yes the casing does extract , i am thinking i may have built this one on a ak 47 flat i dont seem to remember if it made a difference as the 74 was my first build and the only 74 i made.

Hmm I built a Bulgy 74 on an Armory USA 1.5mm receiver and had no problems. That was some time ago - was my first AK build in fact. I used a G-2 fcg. But that's different that bending your own flat and getting the holes to all line-up, etc.

I put 13 together all told - but they were all on Armory USA receivers.

Every one functioned perfecty.

I'd suspect something in the dimensions of your receiver might be causing that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast