Thread: I am going to ban my employees from carrying guns while working!

I am going to ban my employees from carrying guns while working!

I have been in business for a lot of years and so far this hasn't been an issue. I just hired a young guy with two arrests for fighting and he keeps talking about guns. He mentioned that he is trying to get a permit to carry. The crappy part about this is that I love the Second Amendment and I have been legally carrying for around 15 years. Do I feel hypocritical? At first yes but not anymore. My reasons for not allowing guns in the workplace are easy for me to defend.

1. Carrying a gun is a massive responsibility! I trust me to have that responsibility and not an employee. Especially one with a propensity for violence.

2. If my customers knew that I carried, I think that I would probably lose every bit of business that I have.

3. Liability. This goes right along with the responsibility issue. I don't need a hothead carrying a gun.

In fact I think it would be best if I had never had hired this guy in the first. I hope he leaves on his own after I tell him that I will not allow him to carry a gun while working.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Depending on what state you are in you should be able to fire him without any specific cause. Banning carry by your other employees sets them up for this one going on a rampage. You assume he would follow the ban, if he's that dangerous, he won't and then the rest of you will be defenseless.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    You say the guy has two arrests for fighting, how about convictions? Has he been convicted of fighting and was that conviction a felony? If so there is your reason for not allowing him to carry while at work. It should also be a reason that his application for carry permit getting bounced.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Depending on what state you are in you should be able to fire him without any specific cause. Banning carry by your other employees sets them up for this one going on a rampage. You assume he would follow the ban, if he's that dangerous, he won't and then the rest of you will be defenseless.
    This.

Right after you hire a crazy man is not the time to disarm yourself.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    The crappy part about this is that I love the Second Amendment and I have been legally carrying for around 15 years. Do I feel hypocritical? At first yes but not anymore.
    Good.

The second is a restriction on the federal government.
    It doesn't say a damn thing about AKM's private property last i checked.
    You shouldn't feel hypocritical at all.

I would tell him straight to his face i think he's a hothead and i don't trust him enough to be armed on my property.
    He doesn't like it? Tell him to prove you wrong, because his track record so far sure as hell doesn't.
    Time will tell the truth. Otherwise, it's don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya if he doesn't like it.

I hope he leaves on his own after I tell him that I will not allow him to carry a gun while working.
    One of two things will happen:

(1) He will never be a problem.

-- or --

(2) If he intends to be a problem, he won't give a shit about your policy.

Same with any "gun law". Only affects those who abide by them - precisely those you don't have to worry about.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

So you KNOWINGLY hired a hot head that keeps getting arrested??? Good call! Now because of this you want to disarm everybody because HE may be violent.

You sound like a California liberal...... Just saying.

BISHOP

It's your company and you are responsible for it. Do that which you think is right.

Do not hesitate to teach, do not hesitate to learn. your business, no carry at work for employees. period, no question, if so, you are able to go start your own business.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Actually no one has ever mentioned getting a CCW except this guy. Hell, there are only two others besides him and me anyway. I did question him about his arrests. He said they were years ago and he is married now with a step kid. I gave the kid a chance. We'll see how it works out.

California liberal my ass! I don't care if he was GOD himself, I have enough shit to stress over without accepting the responsibility of any employee carrying a gun!

He said the arrests were misdemeanors. I told him that there is no way that I will permit him to carry while working. He said that he never had any intention to do so. I don't really believe him on that one though. I also told him that if I see a gun or the print of a gun under his clothes, he is fired. He is basically on a probation period anyway and it's only his fourth day.
    Last edited by AKM; 05-05-2013 at 05:27 AM.

Actually no one has ever mentioned getting a CCW except this guy. Hell, there are only two others besides him and me anyway. I did question him about his arrests. He said they were years ago and he is married now with a step kid. I gave the kid a chance. We'll see how it works out.

California liberal my ass! I don't care if he was GOD himself, I have enough shit to stress over without accepting the responsibility of any employee carrying a gun!

He said the arrests were misdemeanors. I told him that there is no way that I will permit him to carry while working. He said that he never had any intention to do so. I don't really believe him on that one though. I also told him that if I see a gun or the print of a gun under his clothes, he is fired. He is basically on a probation period anyway and it's only his fourth day.
    You said the guy is a hothead and you have only known him 4 days. Is he showing problems with authority or does he have a bad attitude?

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    You said the guy is a hothead and you have only known him 4 days. Is he showing problems with authority or does he have a bad attitude?
    lemme guess, you never had a problem with him, but the way he dresses, tattoos, piercings, long hair, dyed hair, ect... is causing you to judge him before you even know him?

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    lemme guess, you never had a problem with him, but the way he dresses, tattoos, piercings, long hair, dyed hair, ect... is causing you to judge him before you even know him?
    Yeah he has a few stupid looking tattoos. Short hair and no piercings. Hi mugshots and a former boss that told me about his bad attitude are causing me to have a negative opinion of him.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

fuck off and die, spammer.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

So any update on this situation AKM?

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    Those types are great for any business! That being said, these arrests, were they his fault? If he was assaulted and ended up in the tank that may justify some consideration. If he assaulted someone and was arrested, I'd direct him to other employment if he shows any tendencies to anger.

I agree, if you don't trust someone with a gun for self protection then odds are hes going to be a crap employee

I would put a formal policy in place that states firearms are not allowed on the business property subject to immediate dismissal. The bottom line is having a firearm on your property can create an undue risk to your property, employees, customers, suppliers, etc. You never know what could happen and the risk is not worth it. In regards to the employee I would not worry about it as you can discharge him if he is a bad employee or if you want to part ways. As for the owner having a firearm it is a free country.
    Ex cineribus resurgam