Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry...best caliber, brand, method?

Concealed Carry...best caliber, brand, method?

I realize this has probably been discussed extensively, but I cannot find a thread.

I recently applied for my permit and would like to start carrying, only issue is my 9mm Sigma (yeah yeah the trigger blows) seems a bit to large and uncomfortable.

I figure it is best to seek advice from those who carry themselves. My price cap is around $500, in your exp what is the best caliber, brand, and carry method. Thanks.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

I use a Kahr CW-40 , very slim and the grip fits a large hand.. YET I can wear it in a Desantis D-9 IWB holster under a t-shirt and it's invisible.

I'm comfortable with the caliber.

With all the fancy self defense ammo out there now any caliber is decent ( excluding .25 and 22 short)
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

You will get as many opinions as there are guns.

For what it's worth, I keep a Ruger LC9 in my truck. I have a few holsters for it. The most comfortable is the Crossbreed. I load it with Hornaday HP +P.

For ultra concealed, like when I am in shorts and a tee shirt, I have a Ruger LCP in a little slip proof neoprene holster that fits well in the front waistband. I often forget it's there. The .380 HP +P is no .45, but in a pinch, it'll get me out of a bad situation.

Remember this... a big, heavy, one-shot man-stopper is a great gun, but if you stop carrying it after a few months because it's big and uncomfortable, it'll do you no good on the nightstand. I'd rather carry my little 9mm or LCP all day at the mall "just in case" than to have left my Glock 21 at home and not have it when I need it.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

What works for me is a Glock 26 or a S&W J frame in .38 Special as well as a KelTec P32. Carry really depends on what your day consists of, (driving, riding a desk, hard labor, etc). I carry ankle, IWB, pocket, what ever fits the bill for my particular activity. For me at least ankle carry and or pocket carry is something I can do pretty much every day regardless of what else I may decide to pack.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

was_peacemaker
    A decent .32 ACp in with hollow points...it won't blind you if you shoot it in low light conditions. A small 9mm, or a snubby in .38. Don't forget about .410/45LC derringers or the .32 H&R mag.

For ccw i have a keltec .32

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm281 View Post
    For ccw i have a keltec .32

I never felt undergunned with one. After I did some tests even with FMJ the .32 is no joke.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Glock 19 guy here. Been using one since 1993.

The best is one you will carry consistently and be proficient with. Smaller and lighter is usually much easier to carry consistently. I carry a Keltec PF9 which is very light for a 9mm, which many people find difficult to manage the recoil, but is no problem for my gorilla hands. I still consider a smaller Ruger LCP. I really like the Speer Gold dot, Hornady Critical Defense, and the Federal HST. Inside the waist band is good for light clothing, but sometimes can reveal your rig to an astute observer. If I were planing to carry somewhere that might not be legal, but prudent, say for instance at a school function, where you may need complete concealment, a belly band would be your option. Short of a metal detector or pat down, you're concealed.

I'm also partial to a Smith Airweight 638 and I bought my dad a Ruger LCR and it had a really smooth consistent trigger.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm leaning toward the LCP or LC9 if the recoil is manageable for me. Possibly check out a Taurus or SW .38 also. As far as carry goes I'm gonna check out some ankle holsters, I figure it might be more comfortable and less noticeable, still have to find a nice IWB holter for those gotta wear shorts days though. I will post more once I pull the trigger....pun intended.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

the Taurus Slim line is nice as well. If I didnt get my Kahr I would have gotten one.. same price.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

The only problem I have with the Taurus and the new Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm is the manual safety. I carried a Taurus PT145 for a while and you could accidentally activate/deactivate the thumb safety. I don't like the extra step of ensuring the safety is deactivated, especially when it can be activated inadvertently in an IWB carry style. That requires constant training to ensure the muscle memory to flip the safety EVERY draw. I want to just draw and fire, because I'm not pulling it out unless it's getting used. A propper holster and your brain should be all the safety you need. As a guy on another forum I frequent says "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!".

Boy I love these threads. It's like asking what's the best sport and the best team in that sport. LOL!

OK, because Para-Ordance did not make a stainless P-12 in 95 when TX got its CHL I got an Officers Model 45acp. I've carried it in a belly band, fanny pack, IWB bianchi. Of these I like the IWB when wearing a sport coat or suit. Otherwise I like the fanny pack. I like it because it can also carry car keys, check book, surefire, etc. I can also safely "de-gun" should I need to use public facilities. Just don't leave it on the door hook when done

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I've been carrying a Polish P-64 in a Galco Classic Lite PPK holster. It does fine under a shirt.

The double-action trigger was unpullable when I first got it, but replacing the hammer spring with an 18# spring from Wolff took about three minutes and gave it a much better trigger.

After the trigger job, its basically a cheap PPK in 9x18 that weighs 2 ounces more and has a weird trigger. Mine has been reliable and accurate and I have no problem depending on it myself or recommending it for others who may be interested in a pistol with PPK form and function.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Boy I love these threads. It's like asking what's the best sport and the best team in that sport. LOL!

OK, because Para-Ordance did not make a stainless P-12 in 95 when TX got its CHL I got an Officers Model 45acp. I've carried it in a belly band, fanny pack, IWB bianchi. Of these I like the IWB when wearing a sport coat or suit. Otherwise I like the fanny pack. I like it because it can also carry car keys, check book, surefire, etc. I can also safely "de-gun" should I need to use public facilities. Just don't leave it on the door hook when done
    Yeah pretty sure I started a free for all, but it is interesting and informative to CC rooks like myself.

I wonder if theres a holster out there that would comfortably fit my sigma save some $ for the time being.
    Plato

Another vote for a Glock 19. I have been carrying since 98' and I carried big guns, little guns and heavy guns. The G19 beats them all IMHO. You could carry a Glock 23 if you want a 40 S& W. It's the same size as a G-19.

For holsters, I use a Safariland 5197. Right now you can get it for less than $24.00 on their site. I have had an exspensive leather holster, Fobus, Blade Tech and Uncle Mikes holsters. They all suck compared to my Safariland!

Remember, If you start carrying something large and heavy, you may be less inclined to wear it everywhere you go.

I thought ankle holsters were used only in Hollyweird!

Here is a pic that shows how thin a G-19 and a Safariland 5197 is. It fits very close to your body.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AKM; 05-08-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Thanks for the pics.
    lol, maybe they are...I just envision an LCP in an ankle holster as being comfortable in all positions and well concealed. I'm gonna try a good IWB holster first I think.
    Plato

Saw a stow-n-go IWB holster from Galco today that my LGS owner carries his Diamondback 380 in. It fit my PF9 perfectly. Pretty versatile little holster as it's designed to work with a 1911. Picking one up in a few days.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

My main EDC is Glock 26 but lately I've been carrying a Kel-Tec PF9 a lot.

While not as good of quality as the Glock or as easy to shoot, it is thinner and lighter which makes it much more comfortable to carry and less likely to print. As much as I like the Glock overall it is a thick bulky pistol for CCW.

I also have a KT P32 that I carried when the G26 was too much but I really don't feel comfortable with a .32 so it's carry time has dropped considerably since I got the PF9.

I tried ankle carry with a variety of guns and didn't like it with any of them. It makes me feel off balance and is really noticeable if you're in a hurry or need to run. YMMV but I just couldn't get used to it.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Color me in as one who has used an ankle holster and think it sucks. First thing I learned, never put it on the inside of your ankle. You will eventually take a step and smack the gun against your other ankle bone and it hurts like hell! Next even on the outside it can print in normal jeans. Now back in the 70's when there were flare bottom jeans no problem with printing. Can't wear an ankle holster with boots. I like boots. Difficult to not have it show if you cross your legs when seated. To get to it you have to drop to one knee, so it isn't exactly speedy to get to it and get it out.

A fanny pack is a lot quicker, though personally any guy with a fanny pack I consider to be armed, but so what, they can't see it and they have to guess. If they guess you are armed IMO they are less likely to try and fuck with you. Win - Win in my book. IWB, good with a loose shirt or light jacket unzipped. A .45 1911 does pretty good in a pancake holster even outside the waist band with a coat over it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast