Thread: Any In-Line muzzle loader shooters here?

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Any In-Line muzzle loader shooters here?

I just bought a CVA Acurra V2 in- line, looking for suggestions on loads and bullets.

Thanks

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

ive swayed away from the easy pellets of powder to the loose pyrodex powder. i got a bunch of them 60% off at the end of season at walmart. turns out i just like it better.

most modern inlines are rated for 150 gn of bp, contrary to popular belief, and whit ive seen from others, that dosent mean you have to load 150gn. i go with 100gn of pyrodex, i forget the bullet im using, but im getting moa or better accuracy out of it.

There are so many combinations of powder, pellets, bullets and 209 primers available, i got a feeling this new shooting hobby is going to get real expensive.

I talked to CVA customer service and they said if i wanted to shoot loose powder i would have to use a different breech plug than the one that came with the gun to avoid fouling it out and having mis fires. The flash hole in the stock plug is pretty small, i can see how it would foul easily.

I like the idea of using loose powder, much easier to adjust the load than with pellets.

all i can say is, dont buy in bulk..... at first. shoot it and find what it likes, then stock up when you find what works.

never had a cva so i cant comment on specifics on that, but between my fathers lyman inline and my t/c inline, with the same barrel diameter, twist rifling lands and groves, ect, they will not shoot the same bullets accurately.

one other thing ive found, i dont really think the primer makes a difference. i have interchangeable nipples to shoot perc caps, #11's, or 209's, and i havnt seen any difference between the 2 afa accuracy goes (with the loose powder, at least. ive heard the smaller #11's have trouble lighting pellets) the only thing between them are some are easier to use than others.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I have a Lyman Cougar and my summer load is 110 gr of FFg Goex, greased patch and round ball. My winter hunting load is 90 gr of the same powder, patch and ball.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I've picked up some White Hot pellets, Blackhorn powder, triple7 powder, hornady sabots, power belt bullets and some federal 209a shotshell primers. I'll make it to the range in the next couple weeks and report the results.

my dads lyman likes the powerbelts. mine seems to prefer the sabot rounds. you gotta find what it likes, same as working up any other handload.

Yea, and i won't have to keep running back and forth from the loading bench to the range, my cartridge guns are gonna get seriously neglected i think