Thread: Un bubba'ing a Gewher 98-Help?

Un bubba'ing a Gewher 98-Help?

Well..as they say s*** or get off the pot.
    years ago I managed to get a Gewehr 98 Mauser rifle. To make a long story short a prior owner decided to shorten the barrel a little bit, sporterize the stock and lose all of the bayonet hardware and anything that went on top.She has a bent bolt but not a professional job.. I'll have to check it's markings a little later but is has the "roller coaster" rear sight if that helps. She is a tack driver, even with the dark bore that rifle is the most accurate gun I've had range time with. But to get to the point: with that buggered barrel is there any hope I can restock her? If not, is there anyway/ recommendations, short of gunsmithing, that I can put a scope on her that will hold up to the recoil? I've fallen for that rifle and between her & the Nagants I'll take a Mauser rifle hands down.I thank ya and may your shots fly true.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

The roller coaster sight meas it was a GEW 98 WWI style of rifle. Barrel length over 29 inches originally and it would of had a straight bolt, not bent. Rounding up the stock, barrel bands, nose cap with bayonet lug is going to cost you way more than the weapon is worth. If the bore is dark, rebarreling is your only remedy and unless you can do that for yourself you're looking at a $300 buck bill for barreling and headspacing, then there would be sight installation, probably another $150.

So in the end I can say enjoy the rifle as is because undoing the bubba job is going to cost as much as a new bolt gun. http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...prod22431.aspx Brownell's has a no drill n tap base, rings not included. It has 2 reviews, both give it a 5 star rating, I have no personal experience but based on the reviews I would try it if i was to scope a Mauser. Good luck.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 05-12-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

yup, its a shame what some ppl will do.

i had the same thing. an (at one time) nice gew 98 that had been half assed "sporterized" and hacked up. would have loved to have had it as a correct" rifle, but at the point this one was, i knew that wasnt going to happen. i went the other way. i full on sporterized it. welded on a modern bolt, drilled and tapped for leupold rings, new stock, new trigger with side safety, streamlined bolt shroud, rebarreled in 30-06. i will hold its own with any modern bolt gun now, cant even tell its heritage.