Thread: To Crush Washer or not

To Crush Washer or not

I've got a MAK-90 that I've had for about 16 years. Most of the time it's sat in the safe, just waiting for the day when the kids would be bigger and there might be more funds available for the fun projects. I have decided to thread the barrel so I've bought the tools and the flash hider I want to put on it, which is the Liberty Cans Phoenix. My question is this. Will I need to use a crush washer on this installation? It looks quite similar to the Vortex, and since that flash hider is supposed to be self-tightening, I'm wondering if the Phoenix would also be. Any info would be a help.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Most, if not all brakes or flash hiders designed for an AK variant with the standard AK 14x1mm left hand thread should have an alignment slot. The front sight base would have a retainer pin that is spring loaded so that when you thread the muzzle device onto the barrel, the retaining pin would fit in the slot and assure proper alignment.

If you had to use a 1/2x28 right hand thread, and the muzzle device doesn't have an alignment slot, I would guess a crush washer would be needed.

That said, if the flash hider does not have an up and down (some require alignment to keep muzzle blast off the ground when shooting in the prone position) then you can tighten it up against the front sight, but I would check for tightness after every few rounds to avoid the embarrassment of having to chase the hider down range.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Most, if not all brakes or flash hiders designed for an AK variant with the standard AK 14x1mm left hand thread should have an alignment slot. The front sight base would have a retainer pin that is spring loaded so that when you thread the muzzle device onto the barrel, the retaining pin would fit in the slot and assure proper alignment.

If you had to use a 1/2x28 right hand thread, and the muzzle device doesn't have an alignment slot, I would guess a crush washer would be needed.

That said, if the flash hider does not have an up and down (some require alignment to keep muzzle blast off the ground when shooting in the prone position) then you can tighten it up against the front sight, but I would check for tightness after every few rounds to avoid the embarrassment of having to chase the hider down range.
    I appreciate the info. The Phoenix flash hider does have the alignment slots at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. However, my MAK does not have the hole for the plunger drilled into the FSB. Hence, no plunger to lock the flash hider in place. I think I'll take your advise and install it with one. The ole' "better safe than sorry."