Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ammo question for my DPMS......

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskiegunlover View Post
    So if its 1/9 I should stick to lighter grain like 55 grain?
    Let me also second the endorsement of 62 gr. ammo as perfectly OK to use. The 1 in 9 can handle 69 gr. Sierra rounds just fine as well. The only tangible good of 55 gr. ammo is usually it's lower cost than the heavier bullets.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruskiegunlover View Post
    Who has israeli 556?
    bought it at a gun show.... kinda lucked out! lol, i've got aroud 1000rds of it.. REALLY GOOD AMMO!!!
    Last edited by silentkilla; 05-24-2013 at 10:24 PM.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Let me also second the endorsement of 62 gr. ammo as perfectly OK to use. The 1 in 9 can handle 69 gr. Sierra rounds just fine as well. The only tangible good of 55 gr. ammo is usually it's lower cost than the heavier bullets.
    pardon the intrusion on your thread ruskie.... but i have run across about 100rds of hornady T.A.P. 75gr i'm planning to only use it for defense ammo. but will it be o.k for close range through my 1 and 9 twist barrel Schuetzenman???

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    pardon the intrusion on your thread ruskie.... but i have run across about 100rds of hornady T.A.P. 75gr i'm planning to only use it for defense ammo. but will it be o.k for close range through my 1 and 9 twist barrel Schuetzenman???
    Short range, sure. Even if it's not overly accurate and even if the bullets yaw a bit, inside your home kind of close range will be nothing but lethal. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a 1 in 9. My piston driven 16" middy AR carbine has a 1 in 9 barrel and it gets loaded with 77 gr. Sierra's for up close work. Not enough time for the bullet to get too sideways and even if it does it will only hit harder and fragment all the better. I just won't put my suppressor on with the 77's as I don't want to risk a baffle strike.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 05-25-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Are 77gr. rounds the heaviest that will reliably feed from the magazine?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Are 77gr. rounds the heaviest that will reliably feed from the magazine?
    Yes, that is the case. Anything heavier than the 77 Sierra is too long to mag feed. It makes a good overall round but it is marginally stabil out of most 1 in 9 barrels, especially 16" barrels.

Thank you Schuetz.

Do you by chance know the heaviest grain rounds that can reliably feed in non-AR platforms?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Thank you Schuetz.

Do you by chance know the heaviest grain rounds that can reliably feed in non-AR platforms?
    Can you be more specific, I'm not sure which non-AR platform you might be talking about. Really only the AR seems to have a bullet weight and mag feeding limitation. OTOH some semi rifles do have a bullet weight limit due to the recoil buffering systems they have. Example; the M1A and M1 Garand rifles are limited to about 190 gr. bullet provided you don't try to hot rod them too much. Too much speed and pressure or heavier bullets will slam the rear of the receiver enough to break it out.

I don't know of any weight limit for the AR10. For HK91 clones I've shot up to 168 gr. Sierras in them, never tried anything heavier when I owned one. The FN FAL has the adjustable gas system so just about anything you can get in that chambering should be safe to make functional if you start with the gas wide open to vent excess pressure and then close it down to get ejection that tosses the cases about 5 or 6 feet.

I have a Arsenal SAM-5 (5.56) that I have always wondered about.

I have a Arsenal SAM-5 (5.56) that I have always wondered about.
    Your SAM-5 chambered in the .223 / 5.56 will have the same limitations as the AR15. The 77's will feed in your mags simply because they can be seated in the case deep enough relative to the bullet over all length. The 80 gr. Sierra use to be the longest .224" bullet and has been a staple of 600 yard Service Rifle and High Power Match shooters. The bullet is just as long as a 147 gr. 7.62 Nato projectile, yet only .224" in diameter. It looks very needle like and this is why it is so great at long range accuracy. It has huge Ballistic Coefficient, very slippery with good density. The very long bullet length prevents it from being seated in the case deep enough to make it mag feedable. It it were seated deep enough a lot of powder would have to be removed. Never tried to seat one to make it fit in the mag, might also run out of straight side to be gripped by the case mouth given the very long Ogive.

Thanks Schuetz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12