Thread: Are recoil buffers effective?

Are recoil buffers effective?

Just askin.
    I pretty much see one for most types of firearms and was wondering.
    Seems like a the manu. would have engineered this into the system if needed.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

In my opinion it is higly debateable on the utility of them. Might depend on the individual weapon and whether or not the recoil springs are worn or weak in the weapon. I've seen a SAR-1 rifle malfunction again and again. I asked the owner, what's wrong with that rifle? They replied, "I don't know usually it's 100% reliable"! I ask" anything you change out or modify"? He replies, "I put a rubber recoil buffer in it". I say, "try taking that out and see what happens". He does and now it goes back to 100% reliability. I was planning on trying a buffer, seeing this made me pass on getting one.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Many manufacturers install buffers in their firearms, many don't. With the Kalashnikov rifle, it was designed for simplicity and to be used in the worst conditions, so no buffer was used. They were throw-away rifles.

Since I pay for my rifles, and I have to repair them myself without benefit of a free armorer service, I decided to try a buffer in my AK variants. There are two types available, one thick, one thin, and most people who have had problems as Schuetzenman stated, used the thicker buffer. I use Blackjack buffer in all my AK variants as it is thinner and does protect the rear of the receiver and bolt/carrier. I decided to use buffers after seeing the rear of the AK receiver with witness marks from being struck by the bolt/carrier assembly.

Does it matter? Probably not, but as I said earlier, I pay for repairs and the added cost of a Blackjack buffer is minimum. Actually I prefer when someone trying to sell me an AK variant does not use buffers as I can tell if the rifle is truly "unfired".

Just my 2 cents.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Many manufacturers install buffers in their firearms, many don't. With the Kalashnikov rifle, it was designed for simplicity and to be used in the worst conditions, so no buffer was used. They were throw-away rifles.

Since I pay for my rifles, and I have to repair them myself without benefit of a free armorer service, I decided to try a buffer in my AK variants. There are two types available, one thick, one thin, and most people who have had problems as Schuetzenman stated, used the thicker buffer. I use Blackjack buffer in all my AK variants as it is thinner and does protect the rear of the receiver and bolt/carrier. I decided to use buffers after seeing the rear of the AK receiver with witness marks from being struck by the bolt/carrier assembly.

Does it matter? Probably not, but as I said earlier, I pay for repairs and the added cost of a Blackjack buffer is minimum. Actually I prefer when someone trying to sell me an AK variant does not use buffers as I can tell if the rifle is truly "unfired".

Just my 2 cents.
    i'm still in accient times were i live with no hi-speed internet so will someone show me a pic of one of the blackjack buffers please?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    i'm still in accient times were i live with no hi-speed internet so will someone show me a pic of one of the blackjack buffers please?
    http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/inde...roducts_id=180 link to Black Jack's web site and the buffer page.

To Imanaknut's point about thick vs. thin buffers the buffer from the story was the thick type. It was not the thinner BJ buffer.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

The only gun I use them in on a regular basis is an early EAA Witness.

These used a very hard steel which can be brittle and they're notorious for frames and slides cracking, I use a buffer and light recoil springs just to be on the safe side. I don't think it's absolutely necessary though it doesn't chew up the buffers or even show any real signs of contact on them.

Unless you've actually noticed peening or some sort of metal to metal contact on a particular gun I wouldn't worry about it.

On the other hand they're relatively cheap insurance and I've never had them cause any issues on the guns I've used them on.
    Last edited by weevil; 05-19-2013 at 11:30 PM.

After seeing the frame of a Glock get chewed by slide impact, a buffer was installed.

Recoil buffers are like a tool designed for a specific need or purpose, a competitive shooter using a comp 1911 or 2011 using them is not likely as it can affect the feel of the follow-up shot, for a user of high-powered ammunition there will be a need and a frequency in replacing them and for a person who wants to reduce felt recoil or prevent damage.
    Ex cineribus resurgam