Thread: Ruger 96-44 barrel removal???

Ruger 96-44 barrel removal???

Anyone either know how this is done, or know of a recourse that explains how the 96-44 is put together/taken apart?

I'm assuming that it screws off and is not pressed in but you know what they say about ASSume. . .

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Looking at this diagram it looks to be a slip fit with a key / location block that holds it in the receiver.

Looking at this one, it seems threaded. So ... really I can't say.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 05-21-2013 at 05:19 AM.

Thanks Schuetz. The 22 version is identical to the 10-22 but the 44 version is different. It's not the slip fit with the V-block for sure. I can tell that from removing the stock. Where I'm at a loss is if it is a press fit, or screw in. I'm ASSuming that it's screwed in like the 77-44.

I've scoured the normal places on the net for info on this and just cannot find any. This carbine was never very popular, and now that it's out of production it is even less so. I'd really like to know things like threading specs/sizes and such from a manual too. I wonder if I called Ruger if they'd be any help.

As I was reading your post I was think, suggest call Ruger and then I read you were thinking of it. I think giving them a call is the best thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    As I was reading your post I was think, suggest call Ruger and then I read you were thinking of it. I think giving them a call is the best thing to do.
    Well, Ruger will NOT give out that information. Just got off the phone with them, the rat bastards!

Any progress on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Any progress on this?
    No, I've moved it to the back burner for now. My next step, I guess, is to remove the barrel and see what I've got to work with. To do that I need to order a 'blank' for my action wrench and cut it out to fit the receiver. I'm still putting together an order list of things I need from Brownell's. Once I get that list together I'll order it all at once. Then pray I don't screw it up, LOL.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization