Thread: New Muzzle Loaders

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

New Muzzle Loaders

First up CVA Accura V2 .50 cal black powder

Savage10 ML ll .50 cal smokeless powder

The Savage has been discontinued and i think the only muzzle loader built to use smokeless powder, it will shoot regular black powder as well as the black powder substitutes. Both use 209 shotgun primers.

For traditional shooting (sort of ) i have a Lyman Deer Stalker .54 cal. percussion coming tomorrow.

Since i discovered the joy of cap and ball revolvers and now have these muzzle loading rifles, i have no interest in shooting anything else....maybe when muzzle loading gets old in a few years i'll dust off some of my other guns and "rediscover" that part of the sport
    Last edited by davepool; 05-27-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Wow! Congrats on your purchases. Normally, I prefer traditional muzzleloaders, but I've been wanting one of those Savages ever since they came out. I like the idea of being able to shoot either type of powder.

Another one I've been wanting is the flintlock that is able to shoot Pyrodex. I forgot the brand name of it, but I am keeping my eyes open for them.

Are you going to shoot sabots or cast your own bullets?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Bullet casting is definitely in the future, i'm a roofer and have access to large amounts of lead.

For now i'm going to shoot sabots as that is what's recommended for the best accuracy from these two rifles. The selection and combinations of powder and projectiles is pretty vast...and i thought this type of shooting would be cheaper than centerfire

I picked another Ruger Old Army ( blued ) and a Pietta 1858 to go with my uberti 1858. So that makes 4 cap and ball and 4 rifles( got 2 of the savages), should keep me busy for awhile.

Internet rumor has it that the savage can be a sub MOA shooter with the right sabot,bullet and powder combination. There are good things said about the quality of the barrel and accuracy of the CVA also.

I put in for the muzzle loader hunt this fall, should get drawn for a tag as there is not much demand for those permits in AZ. I've lost 55lbs since last november, so maybe i'll be up to a little hiking around in the woods
    Last edited by davepool; 05-27-2013 at 10:14 PM.

I got two of the Savages new in the box from a company in Pennsyvania called Ammo & Arms ( they have a website). They have more i think , check out Gunbroker, buy now price was $650, auction price gets pretty close to that i think.

Got this in the mail today, damn i like saying that. That's how i got my first .22 when i was 13, my uncle ordered it from Sears and the mailman delivered it, aahh,the good old days. I bought this from a dealer in Mass. on Gunbroker

Lyman Deerstalker .54 cal., couldn't get any good pics of the bore(my barrel light won't work) but whoever owned this before didn't shoot it much and/or took excellent care of it, rifling is perfect,no rusty spots, no pitting. Ran a patch down the barrel and it came out clean.