Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK accessories -- when is "enough" "too much?"

AK accessories -- when is "enough" "too much?"

From time to time, when I'm not busy fretting over having enough ammo, I use my SLR-106 UR or 106-CR at an informal 3-gun match. In doing so, I've found that a fore grip on an AK is a handy thing for maintaining control during rapid-fire, and that an Ultimak and red-dot get me on-target quickly.

Now, there are folks (Printard) who heap apparently useless crap on their rifles and mod all sorts of stuff, and there are those who think just adding plastic furniture on an AK is gauche. What are your thoughts on where the line between adding function and adding crap falls?
    The gun-toting practitioner of the Middle Path.

Anything more than a sling and a 30rd mag is too much for an AK.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

And your reasoning behind this?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

For a very practical AK, i like a red dot mounted on the side rail and a cheapo flashlight mount clamped to the gas tube.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I also have an Ultimak gas tube and hand guard on my ak with a Bushnell rod dot on top. I have been looking at doing 3 gun as a hobby and thought this would be a good starter set up. It does make it just a little more front heavy, but I feel I get more control, especially with an angled fore grip. The way I feel is if it adds something that will be useful and help you shoot better (although, yes, basics are the most important thing to shoot well in the first place) then by all means, go for it. If its just stuff for the sake of stuff, then no. My ak does not need a bipod, laser (red or green, doesn't matter) long range scope, adjustable butt stock, range finder, radio, lensatic compass, E-tool, grappling launcher, three different forward grips, or an IPad. That's just stuff.

Mine came with the "plastic" furnitutre, I added 2 MOE rails to the foregrip to mount a vert grip and a flashlight if I feel like it, also have a reflex style redot and a one point "tactical" sling.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

As far as gun accessoried go, they should be:
    * Functional.
    * Required for the task, or as a needed aid.
    * Not cumbersome or add un-needed weight.

That is my "off the top of my head" guidelines for firearm accessories.
    There is nothing wrong with accessories, but you don't have to keep them ALL on the gun all the time.
    I love all of my accessories but I tend to not have them on the gun. Most of my guns are bare bone, but with each gun there is a box of accessories.

BISHOP

7507401926_c239ce82cd_z.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    That barrel looks a little short, Bender!

Like putting 22in spinners on a Mini Cooper .....lol

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I agree with Bishop. If it's needed, and helps the gun do its job, fine; if it's not needed for the job intended, then adding it to the gun is "too much."
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Re: AK accessories -- when is "enough" "too much?"

I love forward grips, rails, red dots and adjustable stocks. But not on an AK. The add ons may work but just look silly. The only thing I want on my SLR-101S is a Russian Cobra Red Dot. Thats because my eyes are not great and I'm not good with open sights. And the Cobra was made for the AK so it still looks 'right'. Aimpoints, Trijicon ACOG, Eotech and other various Red dots and scopes look out of place on an AK.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    I love forward grips, rails, red dots and adjustable stocks. But not on an AK. The add ons may work but just look silly. The only thing I want on my SLR-101S is a Russian Cobra Red Dot. Thats because my eyes are not great and I'm not good with open sights. And the Cobra was made for the AK so it still looks 'right'. Aimpoints, Trijicon ACOG, Eotech and other various Red dots and scopes look out of place on an AK.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
    It sounds like, for some, the lack of accessories on an AK is every bit the "fashion statement" that a pile of needless doo-dads is.

So maybe we all roughly fall into three camps: Tactical fashion fans, aesthetic ascetics, and practical/useful gear as needed types.

Further thoughts? Does this about sum it up?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    Anything more than a sling and a 30rd mag is too much for an AK.
    If you're into historical reinactments. If you want to be current with technology one must add a railed forend, red dot of some sort and a flashlight or laser bracket with accompanying item.

All the bullshit in the world won't compensate for piss poor marksmanship skills.

You can have a plastic kiddie pool you bought at walmart overflowing with tapco accessories , but that bullet is still only going where the guns pointed.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

One thing I would suggest is some form of fore grip, simply to keep your support hand from sliding foward to the barrel or gas tube. Otherwise you will risk burning your support hand. That has been my experience with high velocity rounds like 223.

All the bullshit in the world won't compensate for piss poor marksmanship skills.

You can have a plastic kiddie pool you bought at walmart overflowing with tapco accessories , but that bullet is still only going where the guns pointed.
    I've fired from rest to test fire over 60 AK type weapon in the 3 chamberings; 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and .223. I can tell you that most of these weapons would shoot groups half as large if topped off with a quality red dot like an Eotech. Aimpoint would also qualify, but I don't own one. I've also built about a 18 for myself and others when I had my FFL license.

Your attitude is the equivalent of the first guy that probably said, "fly, if man were meant to fly they’d of been born with wings”. That kind of thinking is always proven wrong and I must say with all due respect you’re wrong now.

Piss poor sights can't be fully overcome by good marksmanship skills either.

The sights weren't made for "groups" . They were made just good enough to shoot fuckers at 300 meters.

"WRONG" on this is a matter of opinion, conceived by the brainwashing that things must be "PERFECT" .

In the end your enemy isn't gong to be little black circles with score rings.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

The sights weren't made for "groups" . They were made just good enough to shoot fuckers at 300 meters.

"WRONG" on this is a matter of opinion, conceived by the brainwashing that things must be "PERFECT" .

In the end your enemy isn't gong to be little black circles with score rings.
    Which is exactly why the more accurate the weapon is the better the chance to hit. You ever even shoot a man silhouette at 300 meters? I have and it was a reactive target and it wasn't the full man, just th top 4 inches of shoulder and the head. I've shot them with 2 MOA weapons and 4 MOA weapns, (AK with Iron Sights in the 7.62 chambering). It is a shit ton easier to make the hit with the 2 MOA weapon. A 1 MOA weapon makes it easier to do than the 2 MOA weapon. Beyond 1 MOA, not much diff at 300 meters, but when you get to 600 yards .... yes a really big difference again.

Really your position is laugable, you're arguing it's better to have a stock 4 to 5 MOA AK using iron sights than have a red dot on it that drops the group dispersion to 2.5 MOA.

Really your position is laughable, you're arguing it's better to have a stock 4 to 5 MOA AK using iron sights than have a red dot on it that drops the group dispersion to 2.5 MOA.

You cut it close.... once I saw it's "BETTER" I thought you were going to mention I prefer a stupid 20-MOA AK over an AR .

It's all personal preference.
    BUT neither come out the safe but once a year anymore.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast