Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your survival .22 choice?

What's your survival .22 choice?

I'm trying to decide which .22 would be best for my b.o.b and was hoping I could get some input from you guys.

Henry U.S. Survival .22

or

Springfield M6

If any insight could be given on these guns, it would be really helpful. I am leaning towards the U.S. Survival .22 because of the limited space it takes up when collapsed. But, I also like the .410 aspect of the M6.
    "Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be prepared for changes."
    - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I would go with the M6 given those choices, Folded up its only a bit over 18" long and the trigger can be easily used wearing heavy gloves. I'd worry less about breaking it accidentally and the .410 gives you more punch in a SD situation but still has the advantages of a fairly quiet accurate usable 22 round for small game hunting. I see nothing but advantages to it.

Besides I like the simple is better concept in the wilderness when you aren't going to have access to parts and supplies. The fewer parts to break generally means you will have less breakage. Note on other threads I have chosen single shot rifles, shotguns and single action revolvers for survival weapons over large capacity semi autos or double action revolvers and this is my reasoning for it.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

I can not help you with the M6.

The Henry US Survival Rifle is a bit of a disappointment. The Charter Arms version as well as the Armalite version were supposed to be able to float fully assembled w/o the but plate in place. The Henry does not float unless the but plate is taped to trap the air in it.

The stock is uncomfortably fat, the barrel is non-confidence inspiringly thin and fragile feeling/looking and the sights suck. It comes with the flippable sight plate set on the tiny target aperture instead of the practical and visible game setting. The extra mag uncomfortably pushes into the shoulder through the plate if you leave it in its slot.

Last week an older gentleman bought one through my dealer and was so disappointed he sold it back to my dealer for $50 because the feel was so bad for him.

If you like the feel of the Henry US Survival Rifle, then go for it.

If you can, try one out thoroughly first.
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 09-15-2010 at 04:32 AM.

Ar M6s even available? If so, where? Right now I just have a Spikes .22 upper, but I intend to get a Henry soon for doing things the Ar CANNOT DO. If I can get and M6, I'll do that too. I also intend to put a magnum springer air gun back in the battery.

I used to shoot airguns in my basement 10 meter range. I quit after my daughter was born because the pellets would litterally disintergrate to nothing often times. All that lead had to be going somewhere. I do however believe that an airgun is a viable choice for long term use.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

I've got an old Marlin bolt action fed by a 7 round detachable magazine. I've had it since I was 11 and have never had a malfunction. Although I like the 10/22, there's just more that can go wrong. The old Marlin has a perfect reliability record.

IDK but my 10/22 has never been cleaned and its around 3000rds I brushed the barrel once to clean out the gunk and shoot some clp in the action now and then but have not had the receiver apart yet ...never had a FTF or FTE ...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I've read nothing but "they are really picky about ammo" on those two - even when somebody likes thiers, they say they stick with X brand only... not too good for a survival gun.

I second the 10-22 - you can break em down pretty easy or just get a folder...

Or better yet, a Ruger MkII or III or similar pistol - even more compact and very reliable.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Thus far I have a Ruger 10-22, a Marlin 60, and a Beretta pistol. Soon we'll have a Henry lever gun and probably a couple or 3 Marlin bolt action 22's. I'd also like to get at least two rifles in 22 mag, probably in bolt action too.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I intend to get a Henry soon for doing things the Ar CANNOT DO.
    Would you elaborate?
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 09-15-2010 at 11:58 PM.

I believe that the Henry's (which are great leverguns) can handle just about any type of .22 rimfire - shorts, longs and long rifles where as the AR types are very finicky - and LR only.

The levergun also will "cycle" with any type of ammo - doesn't require a certain level of pressure to work.

And the levergun holds more rounds in the mag.

There may be more...

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

If you really want to go the combo gun route I'd suggest an older model Savage over and under. IIRC you could get several combinations such as .22lr/410, 22 Hornet or 223/20ga, etc.

My personal choice would be my Remington Nylon 66, sure it's tube fed but the tube is completely protected and there are no magazines to loose, plus I can get it wet and not worry about the stock warping. For a handgun I'd opt for my S&W K-22 Target Masterpiece or a Ruger Single-Six convertible .22/.22Mag (again, no mags to loose).
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Ruger mk III hunter with a small lil scope...

Another interesting option........

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...ding/70pss.asp

ruger 10/22 and ruger mkII

Rage

As it does everything a 22 is supposed to do quite well my 1971 Rem pump with a Jap made Tasco would work quite well for survival. ... As the more specialized a tool becomes also lessens their ability to be a jack of all trades; firearms are no different than any tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Yeah, that is interesting...

I wonder how it shoots and how reliable it is - ammo sensitive?

Only .22 I have is a GSG-5 at the moment, I like how the stock can be removed for storage, but cant use without the stock. Id rather use a .22 bolt or a pistol of some kind like the Ruger Mk series for survival.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Yeah, that is interesting...

I wonder how it shoots and how reliable it is - ammo sensitive?
    I'll say this, I have both a Marlin 60, and a Ruger 10-22. Of the two the Marlin is a little easier to take down and clean, and is also less fussy about ammo. I loaded up a few years ago when Walmart had Federal value paks on sale for cheap. Of my three 22's, the Marlin 60 rifle, and my Beretta pistol, will shoot that stuff all day long, whereas the 10-22 becomes a jamb-o-matic with it. Personally, and I know I'm alone in this, but I think the Model 60 is just as good a gun as the 10-22, and I personally prefer the 60.

Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    Only .22 I have is a GSG-5 at the moment, I like how the stock can be removed for storage, but cant use without the stock.
    As I'd use a sling or strap it to the pack frame a stock isn't a deal breaker. Plus, as I have food and supplies I am not leaving here.

Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    Id rather use a .22 bolt or a pistol of some kind like the Ruger Mk series for survival.
    I have an old MK I bbl which is a decent pistol to keep the pot filled.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    I'll say this, I have both a Marlin 60, and a Ruger 10-22. Of the two the Marlin is a little easier to take down and clean, and is also less fussy about ammo. I loaded up a few years ago when Walmart had Federal value paks on sale for cheap. Of my three 22's, the Marlin 60 rifle, and my Beretta pistol, will shoot that stuff all day long, whereas the 10-22 becomes a jamb-o-matic with it. Personally, and I know I'm alone in this, but I think the Model 60 is just as good a gun as the 10-22, and I personally prefer the 60.

Wash your mouth out with soap boy. I'm the dummy that bought a 10/22 with a target bull barrel and then proceeded to drop over a grand looking for the magic bullet that would make it a super duper match winner. 10 years later I find it likes Remington Golden bullets, Winchester Super X and CCI mini mags better than the high dollar stuff and that my 1964 model Marlin 60 shoots within a point of the Ruger at all ranges from 50' to 100 yards with nearly any ammo I stick in it except for those Gosh awful Remington Yellow Jackets and the CCI stingers. Neither gun likes those.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast