Thread: G17 barrel in a G22?

G17 barrel in a G22?

I have a gen3 G34 barrel that was cut short and threaded for a suppressor to shoot out of a gen3 G17... I would like to get a gen 4 G22. Will the 9mm barrel fit and shoot safely out of the 40?

Mark-
    The simple answer is yes as the outer diameter of the barrel is the same...but with some caveats. Contact Glockmeister to make sure the ejector/extractor will be good to go.
    http://www.glockmeister.com/
    Last edited by TEN-32; 06-05-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Don't know the answer to that, but welcome back! It has been a long time since I saw a post from you.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

The only thing that might give you trouble besides the extractor would be the breechface in the slide.

The .40s are wider and on a 9mm conversion barrel it's the same width as a .40 barrel, but not sure if it being thinner on an actual 9mm barrel would cause problems.

This is why you can't use a .40 barrel in a 9mm.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Even if the barrel fits the slide, I have my doubts about the extractor reaching the rim of the 9 mm round due to diameter differences between the two rounds.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-07-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Even if the barrel fits the slide, I have my doubts about the extractor reacing the rim of the 9 mm round due to diameter differences between the two rounds.
    If this is correct, wouldn't it also be a problem with the wolf conversion barrels? I have one in my g22 and it has extracted fine. It throws them in a different trajectory, but hasn't yet missed a beat.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

I've heard the extractors will "usually" work.

If it don't you can always get a 9mm extractor, that's the nice thing about Glocks the parts are easy to swap out.

I wonder if the difference in trajectory Vike is seeing is from the extractor or the ejector?
    Last edited by weevil; 06-06-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    If this is correct, wouldn't it also be a problem with the wolf conversion barrels? I have one in my g22 and it has extracted fine. It throws them in a different trajectory, but hasn't yet missed a beat.
    I've heard of the Wolf conversion barrels and wondered how they were pulling it off. Must be enough travel on the extractor to reach in and get the rim and that surprises me.

When converting calibers the best practice is to have a conversion barrel with the exact external dimensions and compatible magazines, some conversions require a magazine change but some do not. With a 40 S&W (10 mm metric size) conversion to 9x19 mm the extractor does not need to be changed. You can covert to the same case head dimension or smaller but a conversion going larger in most cases cannot be done. It is possible to use a 9x19 mm barrel in a 40 S&W pistol but the barrel hood and external dimensions of the feed ramp and chamber external dimensions need to match-up or failures will occur. If the barrel matches except for a smaller diameter barrel then the only problems will be with accuracy and frequent use can accelerate wear on the pistol. The G20/21 has the same barrel diameter but the barrel hood is larger on the G21 so the use of G20 barrels is not safe or recommended in the G21. There are conversion barrels for the G21 to the G20 but you need magazines and some people change extractors and some people do not.

G20 10mm, G21 45 ACP
    Ex cineribus resurgam