Thread: What do you guys think about this?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

What do you guys think about this?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...rol-rifle.html

I've been planning on buying this rifle for a while. Hopefully I should be able to drop the money on it next friday if things go well (i.e. my cold doesn't tun into a full blown illness and keep me out of work).

This will be my first AR-15, but not my first 5.56 rifle. I've got mags and ammo ready to go already. Unfortunately (not really) my ammo is all 55 gr XM-195.

So my questions are what do you think of this rifle and how urgently should I seek out some 62 gr XM-855?

I should add that I'm planning on putting some magpul furniture on it and a removable weapon light, as well as a Troy flip-up rear.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 06-06-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I like it!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Not sure about the ammo but that is a nice looking rifle. Hope you stay well. Post pictures when you get it.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the well wishes Itorlo.

I forgot to add that this rifle has a 1 in 7 twist barrel. That is why I'm concerned about my bullet weight. There has already been some discussion about ARs and bullet weights around here lately, but it mostly centered on using heavy bullets in a 1 in 9.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Looks like it's a mid length 9" gas system. My belief is these are the best to have for 16 inch barrels as it reduces chamber pressure over the 7" carbine gas systems.

Quick Overview

16" barrel length
    5.56 Nato Chamber
    1 in 7" twist
    Chrome Moly Vanadium barrel
    chrome lined barrel
    Forged upper and lower
    Magpul BUS
    Aimpoint PRO optic
    Magazine
    Lock

So it comes with the Aimport Patrol Optic on it, nice. On the 1 in 7, for 200 yard and closer work don't sweat the 55 gr. ammo. With that 1 in 7 you can use 77 gr. Sierra and 75 gr. honraday bullets which are both mag feedable. I think it looks like an reasonbale cost for the rifle given the optic. I hope you do go through with the purchase.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-06-2013 at 06:53 PM.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    SWEEEEEEEET gun funkypertwee!!! go for it and don't look back! just like schuetz said good deal with the aimpoint patrol optic!

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Thanks for the well wishes Itorlo.

I forgot to add that this rifle has a 1 in 7 twist barrel. That is why I'm concerned about my bullet weight. There has already been some discussion about ARs and bullet weights around here lately, but it mostly centered on using heavy bullets in a 1 in 9.

55 grn in a 1 in 7 is fine, I've shout a bunch of it out of my colt with no issues.

and BTW thanks for posting that link, I need another car, not that fucking kit they have on sale for $750
    Last edited by raxar; 06-06-2013 at 07:49 PM.

I need another car, not that fucking kit they have on sale for $750
    I might have a 90% KIT if you're interested here in the very near future. for way less than that. .. well a little less .

"IF" I get a call on something .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement guys. I can't wait to order this thing.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Looks like a really nice rifle. Unless you plan on doing some 300 yard shooting, I wouldn't worry about the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Looks like a really nice rifle. Unless you plan on doing some 300 yard shooting, I wouldn't worry about the ammo.
    I don't know about carbines but in the Army we shot plenty of 55gr ammo out of 1/7 twist M16A2s out to 300 yards. Only way to know for sure is to buy a couple of boxes and put it on paper.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

No firsthand experience but I've heard nothing but good things about PSA rifles.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    I might have a 90% KIT if you're interested here in the very near future. for way less than that. .. well a little less .

"IF" I get a call on something .

yeah, let me know, I have a couple of lowers that need built