Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found a gun today at a Texas farm...

I have a few suspisions.......the wood looks really nice and solid, making me believe that it likely did not spend THAT long outside. Also, its like someone dissassembled it, and maybe scattered the parts. I do not believe that the cylinder and ramrod assembly just 'rusted' off, and went missing. Someone took it apart very rudementarily, and threw it out.

Doubt is was used in a crime.....

if it were rusted bad enough to account for the missing pieces, chances are the wood grips would be gone too. Also, I would think it would have a lot more rust on it than that......

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskiegunlover View Post
    I have a few suspisions.......the wood looks really nice and solid, making me believe that it likely did not spend THAT long outside. Also, its like someone dissassembled it, and maybe scattered the parts. I do not believe that the cylinder and ramrod assembly just 'rusted' off, and went missing. Someone took it apart very rudementarily, and threw it out.

if it were rusted bad enough to account for the missing pieces, chances are the wood grips would be gone too. Also, I would think it would have a lot more rust on it than that......
    That was my thinking, look at the trigger guard for instance... One reason I suggested since it has a serial number running it through the police to see if it was more recently stolen.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus168 View Post
    Its a pistol...

Rusty
    Actually, it's a revolver! LOL!
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Etymology of "pistol"

Hand cannon from the Chinese Yuan Dynasty (1271–1368).
    The word "pistol" is derived from the French pistole (or pistolet), which has these possible origins:
    From the Czech pistole and this one from the Czech píšťala (flute or pipe, referring to the shape of a Hussite firearm), from Middle High German pischulle or from Middle French pistole.
    From the city of Pistoia, Italy, where hand-held guns (designed to be fired from horseback) were first produced in the 1540s.[6]
    That early pistols were carried by cavalry in holsters hung from the pommel (or pistallo in medieval French) of a horse's saddle.
    Types of handguns

Revolver is just a type of pistol.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskiegunlover View Post

When I was little, my dad gave me an old revolver to play with. He took the cylinder out and I never saw it. But, I didn't care. Maybe whoever had the one you found did the same thing for his kid. Since it was unshootable, he removed the cylinder and let his kid play with it and the kid lost it, or put it down and never came back for it.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    Etymology of "pistol"

Hand cannon from the Chinese Yuan Dynasty (1271–1368).
    The word "pistol" is derived from the French pistole (or pistolet), which has these possible origins:
    From the Czech pistole and this one from the Czech píšťala (flute or pipe, referring to the shape of a Hussite firearm), from Middle High German pischulle or from Middle French pistole.
    From the city of Pistoia, Italy, where hand-held guns (designed to be fired from horseback) were first produced in the 1540s.[6]
    That early pistols were carried by cavalry in holsters hung from the pommel (or pistallo in medieval French) of a horse's saddle.
    Types of handguns

Revolver is just a type of pistol.
    LOL!

Actually, according to every firearm training class or course I have taken, they're all handguns, but only a revolver is a revolver. All other handguns are considered pistols, and revolvers considered revolvers. I actually laughed at the instructor when he corrected me. He wasn't pleased...
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Shooter View Post
    LOL!

Actually, according to every firearm training class or course I have taken, they're all handguns, but only a revolver is a revolver. All other handguns are considered pistols. I actually laughed at the instructor when he corrected me. He wasn't pleased...
    Yeah my CHL instructor was saying the same thing. I grew up with the knowledge that pistols are handguns and handguns have various design categories.
    Revolver,Semi auto, etc etc...So what would they say if you had a lever action pistol/handgun?Or a blackpowder single shot?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12