Thread: Cohiba Esplendido (Cuban)

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Cohiba Esplendido (Cuban)

What a great time we had at Table Rock SP last week, just marvelous.

We had a nice spot in the campground all things considered, full hook ups, clean, with a view of the lake.

Swank setup for relaxing.

And relaxing it was....

Holy smoke, I can't say enough about this stick. Since I had never had an Esplendido, I really had no idea what to expect. All I knew was that they were very well respected and had at one time been Fidel's go to smoke.

Anyway, after admiring the beautiful milk chocolate wrapper and the intoxicating pre-light aroma, I fired it up. At the outset, say the first 3/4'ers of an inch it was lightly peppered along with notes of leather and a little sweet cedar.

At about the time I was approaching being 1/4'er of the way in, it just bloomed. Coffee, chocolate, nutmeg, earth and just the slightest hint of white pepper. Wow, this thing is basically perfect, everything I love in a cigar and then some.

As I progressed through this bad boy it started to evolve some. The flavors of coffee, chocolate and spiced remained, but it also started offering up floral notes and a kind of salted almond flavor. Really interesting and I'm sure anyone strolling by our campsite was wondering about the dude talking to himself and starring at a cigar.

As I got toward the end of this smoke the strength of it did increase, but it never got harsh and I ended up smoking it till it was too hot to grasp any longer.

In closing let me say this was a genuine treat, I thoroughly enjoyed this smoke! Tobacco doesn't get any better than this.

I'd also like to acknowledge my man, Bleed. Thanks, fella, this was a special smoke.
    Returns June 3rd.

Hell I think I enjoyed reading your post more than smoking one! LOL. Great write up, nice camping spot. What was the beer? And I gotta agree, this is one of my top 3 of all time.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Hell I think I enjoyed reading your post more than smoking one! LOL. Great write up, nice camping spot. What was the beer? And I gotta agree, this is one of my top 3 of all time.
    Rogue Dead Guy.

Tell ya what, send me some more and I'll write shit till the cows come home!

But seriously, this thing was freaking awesome. I don't see, for my tastes anyway, how a cigar could get much better.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Rogue Dead Guy.

Tell ya what, send me some more and I'll write shit till the cows come home!

But seriously, this thing was freaking awesome. I don't see, for my tastes anyway, how a cigar could get much better.
    Ha ha...I always buy these when the opportunity arises, however it is inconsistent and unpredictable. I'm down to a precious few. If I am able to get more I'll let you know but its been over a year. I think I'll burn one on Father's day.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Ha ha...I always buy these when the opportunity arises, however it is inconsistent and unpredictable. I'm down to a precious few. If I am able to get more I'll let you know but its been over a year. I think I'll burn one on Father's day.
    There you go.

PM sent too.
    Returns June 3rd.

Contributor 05/2012

So, you are a Commie-pinko-sympathiser now? I bet you have a t-shirt with Che on it..........?
    Sounds wonderful, as ALL your reviews are (if you like it, of course). Think it'd stand up to a small glass of bourbon?

Quote Originally Posted by CigarGuy View Post
    So, you are a Commie-pinko-sympathiser now? I bet you have a t-shirt with Che on it..........?
    Sounds wonderful, as ALL your reviews are (if you like it, of course). Think it'd stand up to a small glass of bourbon?
    Nah, no Che t-shirt.

And oh yeah, this would have paired wonderfully with say some Elijah Craig, or similar hooch. It went pretty well with the Dead Guy Ale. I'd of had a whiskey but I forgot to pack any. The next day I noticed they had a small whiskey selection at the gas station across the highway. Twas pretty slim pickens as I settled for Royal Crown.
    Returns June 3rd.