Thread: The Ammo Shortage of 2013

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

The Ammo Shortage of 2013

We have seen the enemy, and it is us!

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/06/12...shortage-2013/
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Doing my thing for the shortage. Haven't purchased any ammo in over 2 years! Now when I go to the range, I don't bring cases of ammo. I load up a few mags, and take my time aim shooting. Shooting my rifles for accuracy and not as much for fun. Shooting my pistols just to keep my skills sharp.

Hard to believe that in the "glory days" of cheap ammo (.22LR @ $6/brick, 9mm @ $110/case, .223 brass @ $140/case, and 7.62x39 @ $75/case) my daughter and I would hit the range with several cases and minimum of two bricks, and come home one self-defense mag short of empty.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Stop hoarding ammo he says, try to tell that to people and I'm sure you really will impress them with your logic.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I'm still having a hard time believing this shortage is caused, mostly, by us. I understand the panic buying part, but I still feel the main culprit is the Fed. buying all that ammo that precipitated this mess. Amazing how the two instances (panic buying and DHS orders) just happened to coincide...
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

ATF anyone?

Plus we are at war.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

I think what the biggest problem we're seeing right now is the "speculators" are buying up supply as soon as it hits the shelves and re-selling it online or locally with a 200-400% mark up. You can find all the ammo you want, as long as you're willing to pay 2-4 times what it should cost. This crap will die down as soon as people stop paying these ridiculous prices to those jackals.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I'm still having a hard time believing this shortage is caused, mostly, by us. I understand the panic buying part, but I still feel the main culprit is the Fed. buying all that ammo that precipitated this mess. Amazing how the two instances (panic buying and DHS orders) just happened to coincide...
    so they could give it to the REBELS in syria
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AK-J View Post
    I think what the biggest problem we're seeing right now is the "speculators" are buying up supply as soon as it hits the shelves and re-selling it online or locally with a 200-400% mark up. You can find all the ammo you want, as long as you're willing to pay 2-4 times what it should cost. This crap will die down as soon as people stop paying these ridiculous prices to those jackals.
    This...

I've had the Walmart and Academe employees tell me most of the ammo is being purchased by two families first thing in the morning. They are reselling the ammo at three times theprice on classifieds and online...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

I went to the ECA gunshow in Belleville, IL today to price some ammo.
    While there was more of certain items, it was NOT a pleasant outing.
    What I was really looking for was .22LR, .22 Mag, .380, .38 Spec., and .357.

Here's the bad news:

.22LR
    American Eagle - $50 for 500;
    CCI Blazers - $60 for 500;
    Centurion (?) - $45 for 500;
    Rem. Golden - $65 for 525.

22 Mag
    CCI TNT V-Max - $28 for 50 (had been $12.50 at the show 2 months ago);
    Hornady V-Max - $25 for 50 (also $12.50 at last show).

The only ammo I could even find was Speer Gold Dot, 20 rds., 90 gr. JHP and it has gone from $19.99 to $25 at one dealer and $28 at another!

38 Sp.
    Fed Prem. (part # XM38HSIG, 129 gr.) $35/50;
    Hornady Critical Defense FTX (part #90311, 110 gr.) - up to $24 (from $20) for 25 rds.;
    PMC (132 gr FMJ) - up $2 to $22/50;
    Speer Gold Dot (part # 23921, 135 gr.) - $27 for 20 rds.;
    Winchester Bonded PDX1 (130 gr.) - up $2.50 to $25 for 20 rds.

Hornady Critical Defense XTP (125 gr.) - $23/25 rds., up $1;
    Rem. Golden Saber (125 gr.) - two months ago, this same dealer was selling it for $20 for 25 rds. Now, they are selling at $33 for the same 25 rds.!!
    Last edited by JTHunter; 06-22-2013 at 11:31 PM.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

A little more ammo is showing up on WalMart's shelves around here (and staying there a little longer, too). I've been able to get .22 LR and 7.62x39 without much trouble. They had lots of boxes of Tula .308 and other brands of 9mm. and .45 Auto. I'll start checking every morning around 7 to see what they have. So far, I've only been able to get there in the afternoons.

Went to a gun shop in DE and he has shelves of ammo (at a decent markup, I might add) and picked up a box of ,32 Auto for $35. Only needed one box for a friend, so I paid the price.

Maybe the panic buying is starting to ease a little.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Gun shows are always highly priced.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    Gun shows are always highly priced.
    They didn't use to be at least not where and when I was a dealer. Multiple dealers selling the same thing should foster price competition. The fact the ammo prices are so high is reflective of the difficulty for them to source any ammo to sell. Because they can't easily get it they are raising the price to do 2 things; slow down sales and maximize cash flow to make up for a lack of volume to sell. That said as stated earlier the prices will go down ONLY when people stop buying at high prices. This will allow the pipeline to fill up again so that supplies are back as they were. Only then will prices get sane.

Made a decent score on ammo at WalMart today. Picked up 2 half-bricks of Federal .22 LR, a value pack of Winchester .223 JHP, a regular box of FMJ 5.56, 2 boxes of Tula 9mm, and a box of Federal FMJ 9mm. The good thing is it wasn't overpriced like it is at most gun stores.

Hopefully, this is a trend in more ammo coming out now.

Freedom isn't free.

Bought 2 boxes of .30-30 yesterday at WalMart. Didn't have anything else I was interested in. There's still quite a bit of .243 and .270 left on the shelves.

Freedom isn't free.

Not much in Northwest AR on the shelves! Hard to find even 22!! Unless like was said,paying for it online!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turdypointbuck View Post
    Not much in Northwest AR on the shelves! Hard to find even 22!! Unless like was said,paying for it online!
    .22LR is the only thing I haven't seen returning. Granted, most does not sit on the shelves long, but I do see it. The only .22 I see is in my ammo boxes!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The Ammo Shortage of 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    .22LR is the only thing I haven't seen returning. Granted, most does not sit on the shelves long, but I do see it. The only .22 I see is in my ammo boxes!
    Palmetto State Armory has some 22lr in stock. Its almost down to 10 cent per round.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I've picked up a couple boxes of .22LR twice in the last several weeks, but it is no where near being able to walk in and buy what every you want...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Aim Surplus is taking orders for Czech Seller & Belloit .22 LR target ammo that is coming in. Add says it is Eley primed so should be noncorrosive. As it is Match ammo the speed should be in the 1100 fps range. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...+Box&groupid=6 It comes out to about 9 cents a round if you buy a case of over 6,000 rounds. The less than full case price is about 10 cents a round. I'm tempted to order some but a full case is nearly $600 plus shipping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast